Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Kick in the Teeth

jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

I had a friend named Babacca, who as you might have guessed from the name was a wookiee.  After seeing the CU on Test Center and trying to play it and upon learning all his hard work creating Uber buffs was going up in smoke, he decided to quit the game.

On his last day we met so he could give me all his credits to do with whatever I wanted.  (I gave them away, not feeling right benefitting from my friend's loss)  As we went from place to place to make sure all his buildings had me as admin, he noticed that his toon was shrinking with time.  (anybody remember the wookiee and trando shrinking day?) 

So here is this devoted, 8 hours per night, 10 hours per day on weekends SWG player retiring because he felt screwed over, giving away his stuff AND then his last view of his toon looks like a pygmy wookiee!  Every time I feel like I got a raw deal, I think back to poor little 5 ft tall Babacca screaming "WTH?!!!?!"

Any other sad but funny stories out there?

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
      ROFL
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    Now thats just sad....  Im glad I missed that day, or atleast was too hammered to remember it, cause my first char (chlaos of gorath) was the sexiest wookie in the tri galaxy area and I would have been very upset to shrink ......   

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by chlaos
    Now thats just sad....  Im glad I missed that day, or atleast was too hammered to remember it, cause my first char (chlaos of gorath) was the sexiest wookie in the tri galaxy area and I would have been very upset to shrink ......   

I've never heard about that.  Was it a bug, or was it something they did deliberately?

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Holy cow, 8 hours a night from Monday to Friday and 10 hours Saturday and Sunday every week. LMAO, I don’t know what is worst, being screwed by the powers to be, or the fact that they had no life outside of a video game. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

I might need to change that post.  I think I was quoting MY hours. 

He might have been 5 hours on weeknights and 10 hours on weekends.  Still, he was a devoted player.  Real good guy.  I miss him a lot.    He was a trustworthy, good friend.

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

After a year of becoming "glowy" grinding the village and Jedi, I made full temp on Nov 1st 05, the day the NGE was announced.

My unlock toon was a Rifle/CH that created during 2x exp right after the CU and was so excited with the CH revamp that I played on that toon more than grinding Jedi. They fixed the spanws on Naritus.Talus in Sept 05 and I was finally able to tame GSPs again.

Everything single thing I did to have fun in the game was destroyed with the NGE.

Originally posted by Uberman

Originally posted by chlaos
    I've never heard about that.  Was it a bug, or was it something they did deliberately?

Definitely a bug.  They did fix that one very quickly to their credit.  Babacca was so pissed!  He was one of those really good natured guys who got pissed easily, so it was somewhat funny, though I did feel for the guy.  He took a lot of things seriously.  Still, anybody that knew him loved him.  He was a credit to the Wookiee race.

@Zaush - That's not funny, but it definitely qualifies as sad.  It seems there aremany stories like that at the time of the CU and NGE.  I didn't start the thread to bash the CU and NGE, it just turns out that some of the worst gotchas in the history of the game occurred around those two occurrences.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    this must have been the time when Bothans humans and such were all the same size. Good old CU. Still it's kinda funny.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

.....worst kick in the teeth (aside from the obvious NGE and CU implementations)

.....that village mission where you had to go to Endor for the supplies that didn't spawn reliably the first time that phase hit.  It was a pain in the dojo to get the damn phase finished.  Yet another poorly considered, ill-tested implementation brought to you by $OE, the cheapest bastards in the Outer Rim.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

Originally posted by jrscott
    @Zaush - That's not funny, but it definitely qualifies as sad.  It seems there aremany stories like that at the time of the CU and NGE.  I didn't start the thread to bash the CU and NGE, it just turns out that some of the worst gotchas in the history of the game occurred around those two occurrences.

It gets worse too. I am avid animal lover, one of the reasons I enjoyed creature handling so much. Our dog of 12  1/2 years passed away from spleen cancer 12/04/05. He wasn't feeling well for about a week, took him to the vet one evening and found out he had bleeding tumors on his spleen. We rushed him to the emergency room, and he never came home. He made it out of surgery ok, but they could not get him stabalized. I lost my game and my buddy in less than a month.  My GF and I don't have kids, so he was like a son to us. Almost a year later our place still feels empty.

OH yeah, my birthday...is 12/07.

Trust me you can't make this stuff up.

Originally posted by Zaush

Our dog of 12  1/2 years passed away from spleen cancer 12/04/05. He wasn't feeling well for about a week, took him to the vet one evening and found out he had bleeding tumors on his spleen. We rushed him to the emergency room, and he never came home. He made it out of surgery ok, but they could not get him stabalized. I lost my game and my buddy in less than a month.  My GF and I don't have kids, so he was like a son to us. Almost a year later our place still feels empty.

I feel for you.  I recently lost a VERY cute 15 yr old cat to mouth cancer.  Even at age 15 she looked like a little baby.  She used to sit with me every Wednesday night to watch Star Trek Voyager....no lie.  She never missed it.    I had this real comfortable Couch/Chair that I would slouch in and she would sit above my head, all curled up and purring. 

We tried for weeks to feed her using an eyedropper and pureed baby food, but eventually she gave up eating and drinking because it was too difficult.  I had to have her put to sleep which I said I would never do to an animal.  She was suffering badly so I had to make an exception for her.  I made the mistake of watching the procedure and to be honest it still gets to me at night.  She was my little buddy.  My wife used to refer to her as my "little girlfriend" because I would always pick her up and hug her.

I didn't bring this up to make you more sad, I just want you to know that there are other men out there capable of understanding the loss you feel.  You have my deepest condolences.  I am fortunate enough to have 3 more cats though all of them are older.  Yikes!

That was very poor timing on SOEs part though you can't logically blame them as much as you would like to. 

The silver lining to my loss is that now I realize that even though I lost a past time that I loved, there are things far worse to lose.  Like a member of your family, be it human or other.

• broadzillabroadzilla Member Posts: 73

I had a friend named Babacca, who as you might have guessed from the name was a wookiee.  After seeing the CU on Test Center and trying to play it and upon learning all his hard work creating Uber buffs was going up in smoke, he decided to quit the game.
    On his last day we met so he could give me all his credits to do with whatever I wanted.  (I gave them away, not feeling right benefitting from my friend's loss)  As we went from place to place to make sure all his buildings had me as admin, he noticed that his toon was shrinking with time.  (anybody remember the wookiee and trando shrinking day?) 
    So here is this devoted, 8 hours per night, 10 hours per day on weekends SWG player retiring because he felt screwed over, giving away his stuff AND then his last view of his toon looks like a pygmy wookiee!  Every time I feel like I got a raw deal, I think back to poor little 5 ft tall Babacca screaming "WTH?!!!?!"

haha! I remember that day. My poor trandoshan.. she was midgetized. I forgot all about that until this post.

Originally posted by broadzilla

haha! I remember that day. My poor trandoshan.. she was midgetized. I forgot all about that until this post.

Bacca was soooooo angry and sad at that!  I have to admit, even at that time I was giggling.  It was so incredibly mis-timed in his case.  He was not humored that I was humored.  I tried to convince him it was funny, to no avail.

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

A wook was my main and a trand my main alt, so I feel this fellas' pain.

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,
    Proud FORMER Master CH...
    my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy

Our dog of 12  1/2 years passed away from spleen cancer 12/04/05. He wasn't feeling well for about a week, took him to the vet one evening and found out he had bleeding tumors on his spleen. We rushed him to the emergency room, and he never came home. He made it out of surgery ok, but they could not get him stabalized. I lost my game and my buddy in less than a month.  My GF and I don't have kids, so he was like a son to us. Almost a year later our place still feels empty.

I feel for you.  I recently lost a VERY cute 15 yr old cat to mouth cancer.  Even at age 15 she looked like a little baby.  She used to sit with me every Wednesday night to watch Star Trek Voyager....no lie.  She never missed it.    I had this real comfortable Couch/Chair that I would slouch in and she would sit above my head, all curled up and purring. 

We tried for weeks to feed her using an eyedropper and pureed baby food, but eventually she gave up eating and drinking because it was too difficult.  I had to have her put to sleep which I said I would never do to an animal.  She was suffering badly so I had to make an exception for her.  I made the mistake of watching the procedure and to be honest it still gets to me at night.  She was my little buddy.  My wife used to refer to her as my "little girlfriend" because I would always pick her up and hug her.

I didn't bring this up to make you more sad, I just want you to know that there are other men out there capable of understanding the loss you feel.  You have my deepest condolences.  I am fortunate enough to have 3 more cats though all of them are older.  Yikes!

That was very poor timing on SOEs part though you can't logically blame them as much as you would like to. 

The silver lining to my loss is that now I realize that even though I lost a past time that I loved, there are things far worse to lose.  Like a member of your family, be it human or other.

Thanks man, and same to you. It has beenj a rough year, but it is almost over.
  • ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Everything single thing I did to have fun in the game was destroyed with the NGE.

That, my friend, says it all in one simple sentence.

C
  • SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094

For almost a week before the NGE I was making med components and collecting DNA to make pets that were soon to be uselss. Must have spent 20+ hours doing stuff that was going to be deleted and I didnt even realize it because I didnt go to TC or ask about the details of the NGE. I heard a few rumors about them removing Bi0-eng but I though "no way" and was wrong (.

{(RIP)} SWG

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Yes -- Visibility and a Dev that thought it was funny to do this to me to get me more:

Walking into a Star port to get out... and...   WHAMMY!   RAAWWR!!! WHAP!

ewk

That is one heck of a large wooden staff that Ewok had!    Too bad you could not loot that and use it.

And realistically that should not have caused greater visibility -

Bystander:  Hello, Police?
    Coronet Police:  Yes, Citizen, may I help you?
    Bystander: Yeah, there's this Jedi at the Starport....
    Coronet Police:  Sir, how do you know he is a Jedi?
    Bystander:  He's fighting a 20 foot tall Ewok with his lightsaber...
    Coronet Police: *click*
    Bystander: Hello?  Hello?  Anybody there?