Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URGENT NEWS!!!

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

URGENT NEWS!!!

It's time the secret is out of the bag! Bioware and Microsoft are working togeather. Also Bioware has boughten FASA. Which leads to 1 or 2 MMO's. Shadowrun or Mech Warrior. As we already know Microsoft has done a Shooter with Shadowrun it leaves it as Mech Warror. Also its a well known IP. So now that you all know what the new MMO is we can stop guessing its Star Wars!

XInformerX

-----------------------------------------

Quote: Posted 09/27/06 20:24:53 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

You sure did. At least, this time you're in the right thread.

So, any (and I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyways) conformation of this "urgent news"? Or is it just your personal theory the way some people want a Star Wars MMO or a GI Joe MMO or whatever?

-----------------------------------------------
I cant say.

1. Its either my great research Ive done.

or

2. Im working with Austin Studios and dont want to get fired.

= Will be enjoying my new Mech in the future anyways!

------------------------------

Chris Priestly
Community Coordinator

Well, since I know you don't work at our Austin studio, I'll just chalk this up to another fan post. Same as the rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMAO but this guy can not give us links as to where he found this info. ROFL! Some people.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Mech-style MMO seems rather, well, narrow.

Impersonal MMOs haven't done well so far. EvE, Auto Assault are both niche.

The sci-fi genre as such is also rather narrow.

But then again, who knows. Maybe niche and renaissance is the future.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Mech's eh?

I will keep my eye on that one. Done right and it could be a very diverse and complex game. Not to mention a blast (No pun intended).

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by Rekrul

Could be, especially when there are so many fantasy elf and Orc games which sadly is very mainstream. Why not pick away at the niche market? It gives niche market players something of their own to play and gives s MMO companies a long term player base. All while not having to compete with the fantasy gorilla.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Mech's eh?
    I will keep my eye on that one. Done right and it could be a very diverse and complex game. Not to mention a blast (No pun intended).

as long as it's not like RF-online
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

A Mechwarrior MMO don't seem so narrow, if you look away from the 4 Mechwarrior games and 2 RTS's, but instead look at the books and  RPG and Strategy games sold worldwide.

In those, you have just as huge world as Star Wars, and even more story to it. You're not locked to a mech if you take the aproach of the games that people play to this day when it comes to the Mechwarrior universe.

But then again, these guys might think that Auto Assault is deep, complex and well..not "impersonal". thus fail.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Interesting...

Well, if they are doing a MEchWarrior MMO, it could be good. For those that haven't played MechWarrior PnP, VERY little of the world is Mech... in fact, one peson in a Jump Suit can take down a cruiser, or a softy with a TacNuke can take out a dozen Mechs...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
  • jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

I think Sci-Fi has failed more due to piss poor quality than anything.  Eve Online continues to grow at a decent clip now that they have their act together, but I think until they get interpersonal interaction (avatar to avatar) they will hold themselves back.  We don't even need to beat the dead horse called SWG in this discussion. 

What I am saying is we have yet to see a quality Sci-Fi MMORPG with avatars other than SWG, and the assertion of SWG being quality is dubious at best.  I'm willing to bet my time and money that a well done Sci-Fi MMORPG can be a hit.  I think the 1 million people who have tried SWG and left would agree.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

Originally posted by jrscott

I think Sci-Fi has failed more due to piss poor quality than anything.  Eve Online continues to grow at a decent clip now that they have their act together, but I think until they get interpersonal interaction (avatar to avatar) they will hold themselves back.  We don't even need to beat the dead horse called SWG in this discussion. 

What I am saying is we have yet to see a quality Sci-Fi MMORPG with avatars other than SWG, and the assertion of SWG being quality is dubious at best.  I'm willing to bet my time and money that a well done Sci-Fi MMORPG can be a hit.  I think the 1 million people who have tried SWG and left would agree.

I would say that it is safe to assume there are at least 1 million of us waiting for something good in a sci-fi MMO. We need a Sci-Fi equivalent  of WoW (a well built game), then you would really see what the market size is.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

That's really my point.  We have not seen a Sci-Fi game that has been well marketed and had huge public awareness that has not shot itself in the head multiple times.  Maybe they shot themselves in the head because they realized they hit the ceiling.  We'll only be satisfied that we know the answer when/if we are right. 

Maybe free cookies in game would help.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Bissrok
    I think I'd rather have a Shadowrun MMO...

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Been DYING for this game. Cyberpunk + magic... you can't go wrong there.

Mechwarrior is a little non-condusive to a real MMO... maybe a shooter type thing like Battlefront. Shadowrun would be brilliant.

There's a huge market for a sci-fi MMO, especially one like this. Give all the pre-pubes elves and cyberpunk goodness. In 10 years, they'll be looking at fantasy MMO's and asking "who'd want to play those?"

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Anyone here ever played the old Shadowrun games on the Genesis or Super Nintendo?  Those were so awesome.  Simple games with tons of replayability.  The thought of a Shadowrun MMORPG makes me happy in the pants.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

My only comment is do NOT forget that the TRANSFORMER movie is due out at the end or summer of next year.

Gobots were lame...  Transformers were cool.

Originally posted by iskareot

My only comment is do NOT forget that the TRANSFORMER movie is due out at the end or summer of next year.

Gobots were lame...  Transformers were cool.

Go-Bots were cool till Transformers came to the US market.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by jrscott

That's really my point.  We have not seen a Sci-Fi game that has been well marketed and had huge public awareness that has not shot itself in the head multiple times.  Maybe they shot themselves in the head because they realized they hit the ceiling.  We'll only be satisfied that we know the answer when/if we are right. 
    Maybe free cookies in game would help.

It seems most game develpors are high fantasy fans, and really don't undrstand what us SCI FI fans really want in a game:

Dynamic & interactive world
    Complexity
    Difficulty
    Cerebral gameplay
    Amazing AI
    Interdependence
    Virt World/Sanbox gameplay

• DelzoDelzo Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by Yeebo
    Anyone here ever played the old Shadowrun games on the Genesis or Super Nintendo?  Those were so awesome.  Simple games with tons of replayability.  The thought of a Shadowrun MMORPG makes me happy in the pants.

Bought Shadowrun for the Genesis (back in what? 1994? 95?) and found it the most drawn into a game I had ever been. (a feat that would not be matched for me until...wait for it...SWG.)

I would definitely be down for a Shadowrun MMO.
  • majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

Isn't Transformers really just robots in disguise?  I throw my vote in for Shadowrun not to say that a Mechwarriors one would do good or bad.  I just think it would be easier to market or integrate Shadowrun than it would Mechwarriors.

It has already been proven that a huge IP won't get you subscribers if it isn't handled correctly.  By all accounts DDO should have been huge but we seen how that turned out and SWG in it's first incarnation had a decent subscriber base which steadily went downhill after.  Again how can you mess up an IP as huge as Star Wars?

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438
    If this is true, it is a real shame. At least for me anyways. I have no interest in Mechs and never did. Oh, well. There is always Darkfall and I seriously doubt any game can offer more than Darkfall is offering in the future.

Originally posted by majoch

Isn't Transformers really just robots in disguise? 

Yep. They are more than meets the eye.
  • pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by pirrg

Originally posted by tillamook

http://www.transformersmovie.com/
    http://www.transformersthemovie.com/

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=111306

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10148551&postcount=4339

Transformers the movie
     I didnt know mars had a blue sky full of fluffy white clouds..

Hush. NASA doesn't want you to know these things. Man in black may pop up at your door if you talk about that.
  • majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by majoch

Isn't Transformers really just robots in disguise? 

Yep. They are more than meets the eye.

Lol, you got me.
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Shayde

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Been DYING for this game. Cyberpunk + magic... you can't go wrong there.

Mechwarrior is a little non-condusive to a real MMO... maybe a shooter type thing like Battlefront. Shadowrun would be brilliant.

There's a huge market for a sci-fi MMO, especially one like this. Give all the pre-pubes elves and cyberpunk goodness. In 10 years, they'll be looking at fantasy MMO's and asking "who'd want to play those?"

SR is too complicated to do right... those that have rolled it, know it... yes, it would be sweet, but I doubt anyone could do it right... well, at least unless they had 5 years...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I second that!

My only request, DO NOT HAVE SOE AFFILIATED WITH IT!!