Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chapter 3 Tonight

2»

Comments

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by BaronJuJu
    Hopefully it won't take as long as the Smuggler Revamp!

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Well, after a day's messing with it.... I've deleted my Lowcan smuggler and if I ever log back onto Chilly, the rodian gets a respec.  I'm sorry, but I didn't sign on for pistoleer/TK with a gimpy npc pal when I started smuggler.  I also didn't sign on for forced PvP in order to get a worthwhile payout on a fancy generic mission.  And not to be nitpicky, but can anyone tell me why "smuggler" is the only ranged profession that can't use its specials unless it's got a pistol equipped even when one doesn't take any of the pistol expertises.  Might as well play a freaking Jedi if it comes down to THAT.  I can't believe I waited over a year for THIS garbage.

I also feel real bad for you officers today.  My friends with officers (all two of them) were wailing like banshees after only about an hour of messing about with their shiney new toys.  Something about nerfed and broken specials and expertise specials that weren't worth doodley if they didn't die to trigger them.  Imagine that.. the officer gets slotted and his team fights better.

Between that and the loud wailing about the new PvP-ruled rank system, it's hard to be grateful for little things like the return of the twin toolbar. 

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Obraik

Most Imperial armor can now be worn by races that previously couldn't wear it. The armor won't be visible, but the armor bonuses will be applied. For example, a Mon Calamari can now wear a Scout Trooper helmet and receive the armor bonuses but he won't appear to be wearing a helmet.

Now I know that I am known as anti-NGE and anti-SOE.  But I ask you to forget that for a moment as I critique this particular publish note.  I do so on the players' behalf and not part of an anti NGE or SOE rant.

They are essentially asking players to PRETEND Mon Cal are wearing a helmet!  Does this not matter to anybody?  At the very least, somebody should kindly and politely ask them if they are EVER planning on making the helmet visible.  I find this somewhat shocking.  Don't let them set up a precedent here or you might be asked to pretend you are using speeders and rifles one day. 

I can see a bunch of toons running around pointing their fingers at each other and yelling "BANG, BANG!  I got you!"    Now that would suck.

Everything else seems pretty cool.  Have fun with your publish guys.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by pirrg
    Fantastic, i cant believe what a difference in game development weve seen since the NGE hit. The game is moving foward faster then it ever has. Cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us next.

TBH, nor can I.  If you are lucky, they will give you another NGE so you can have double the NGE goodness.  I mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say I hope you get what you deserve.  Happy gaming my friend. 

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by azhrarn
    Well, after a day's messing with it.... I've deleted my Lowcan smuggler and if I ever log back onto Chilly, the rodian gets a respec.  I'm sorry, but I didn't sign on for pistoleer/TK with a gimpy npc pal when I started smuggler.  I also didn't sign on for forced PvP in order to get a worthwhile payout on a fancy generic mission.  And not to be nitpicky, but can anyone tell me why "smuggler" is the only ranged profession that can't use its specials unless it's got a pistol equipped even when one doesn't take any of the pistol expertises.  Might as well play a freaking Jedi if it comes down to THAT.  I can't believe I waited over a year for THIS garbage.

I also feel real bad for you officers today.  My friends with officers (all two of them) were wailing like banshees after only about an hour of messing about with their shiney new toys.  Something about nerfed and broken specials and expertise specials that weren't worth doodley if they didn't die to trigger them.  Imagine that.. the officer gets slotted and his team fights better.

Between that and the loud wailing about the new PvP-ruled rank system, it's hard to be grateful for little things like the return of the twin toolbar. 

Actually, I thought the fact no specials worked with any other weapon type was a bug, but apparantly it is intended.  I'm betting it probably won't be too long before they relax that like they just did for BH and the armour restriction.

The rewards for the smuggler missions are no different between PvP and PvE, you just get more underworld faction for doing the PvP version since it has more risk involved.  PvP doesn't happen towards the end of the Tier's once the grind is nearly over, so you're by no means forced to PvP.  There's also nothing to force you to do those PvE missions every time you login.

I've not heard an officer complain about the expertise they recieved, one friend came back from EvE due to it (and the Player bases).  Officers now feel like they play a fairly important role in the group, and they do.  The buffs they can put out are very helpful as are the debuffs on the enemies.  After a few hours of playing today I can quite confidently say that having an Officer in your group decently improves your abilities in both PvP and PvE.  Not sure how they got nerfed when everything about the was upgraded though?  As for the buff, I think the idea is that if your Officer dies, you become more motivated to revenge his/her death.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by azhrarn

Actually, I thought the fact no specials worked with any other weapon type was a bug, but apparantly it is intended.  I'm betting it probably won't be too long before they relax that like they just did for BH and the armour restriction.

The rewards for the smuggler missions are no different between PvP and PvE, you just get more underworld faction for doing the PvP version since it has more risk involved.  PvP doesn't happen towards the end of the Tier's once the grind is nearly over, so you're by no means forced to PvP.  There's also nothing to force you to do those PvE missions every time you login.

I've not heard an officer complain about the expertise they recieved, one friend came back from EvE due to it (and the Player bases).  Officers now feel like they play a fairly important role in the group, and they do.  The buffs they can put out are very helpful as are the debuffs on the enemies.  After a few hours of playing today I can quite confidently say that having an Officer in your group decently improves your abilities in both PvP and PvE.  Not sure how they got nerfed when everything about the was upgraded though?  As for the buff, I think the idea is that if your Officer dies, you become more motivated to revenge his/her death.

Is no longer having area effect on calling in an orbital strike considered an enhancement now?

Honestly, Obraik, I don't know what you do for a living, but you should definitely consider a career in either PR or politics.  You could put a positive spin on anything.

And I still maintain that smuggler is no longer smuggler.  They took away smuggler and brought back pistoleer and TKA in its place.

Sad thing is, I was hopeful.  They'd done so well by bounty hunters with the expertise that I thought that even if we didn't get smuggling (and if you think about it, we didn't) that we'd still be at least the same amount of smuggler we'd been before with a little extra kick.  But that's not the case.  I'm sure PvPers who don't give a crap about RP or smuggling will love this new pistoleer/TKA hybrid for its anti-jedi capabilities.  But many of us who have been holding out in smuggler for something more authentic are extremely disappointed.  It's not what we've been asking for all this time.

Fact of the matter is, this current pack of devs we have plays more WoW and CS than SWG and don't understand that not everyone likes PvP as more than the occassional minigame and that by shifting the game's emphasis from PvE and crafting with a little PvP spice to PvP and PvE with a splash of crafting (which is the road they are decidedly taking) is going to drive off a lot of the demographic that SWG has traditionally been tapping and still won't bring them the WoW demographic they obviously are looking for.

All they're doing by this is eroding the player's trust that their work, their time and their money will bring them anything but repeated loss of what they've accomplished with their investment.  This leads to player churn, and that's something a game like SWG can't afford.

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Excellent post Obra and your post is true, there is no forced PvP, a player does not even have to do any of the smuggler missions. For the most part everyone is enjoying the new system for smuggler; there will be some changes such as the relaxing of some of the restrictions that are present in the smuggler system right now. All these things can work fine in test center, but until they get out into the general public for use, the devs then can see were there may need to be some minor changes made, and this is the same for any MMO out in the market today. A good example is the BH and the Jedi system which had minor changes made to them after they were released to the general public. All in all this is one heck of a great chapter, and I am very excited by the new system for my smuggler, this is fantastic and I am glade to finally see a good system brought into play. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by jrscott
    TBH, nor can I.  If you are lucky, they will give you another NGE so you can have double the NGE goodness.  I mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say I hope you get what you deserve.  Happy gaming my friend.  image

Twice the NGE goodness. Oh man I need to get that on my sig banner somewhere. That is a keeper!

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by pirrg

Fantastic, i cant believe what a difference in game development weve
    seen since the NGE hit. The game is moving foward faster then it ever
    has. Cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us next.

Wow, aren't you easy to please? A great majority of this "development" you are referring to is just stuff that used to work. I fail to see what you do.

As to the new GCW ranks, all I can say is blah. A full night of PvP yielded slightly under 300 points. I REFUSE to grind anything in this game again, so it looks like my demotion is more or less permanent. Oh yeah, the best part is that NPCs appear to give more points than actual players. More points are awarded based on level, so killing that 92 Stormie is better than killing a living, thinking opponent. How dumb...

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

• TacolaTacola Member CommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by akevv

Originally posted by pirrg Fantastic, i cant believe what a difference in game development weve seen since the NGE hit. The game is moving foward faster then it ever has. Cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us next.
    Wow, aren't you easy to please? A great majority of this "development" you are referring to is just stuff that used to work. I fail to see what you do. As to the new GCW ranks, all I can say is blah. A full night of PvP yielded slightly under 300 points. I REFUSE to grind anything in this game again, so it looks like my demotion is more or less permanent. Oh yeah, the best part is that NPCs appear to give more points than actual players. More points are awarded based on level, so killing that 92 Stormie is better than killing a living, thinking opponent. How dumb...

I feel your pain about rank, I too was Col. and now private.  But really I pvp for the fun of it.  I am not really interested in Rank grinding either.  But the other stuff that returned does rock.

And to the getting back stuff that was taken away,  more the better, no complainants here about the stuff coming back.  Bring it all back as far as I am concerned.

Originally posted by akevv

Originally posted by pirrg Fantastic, i cant believe what a difference in game development weve seen since the NGE hit. The game is moving foward faster then it ever has. Cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us next.
    Wow, aren't you easy to please? A great majority of this "development" you are referring to is just stuff that used to work. I fail to see what you do. As to the new GCW ranks, all I can say is blah. A full night of PvP yielded slightly under 300 points. I REFUSE to grind anything in this game again, so it looks like my demotion is more or less permanent. Oh yeah, the best part is that NPCs appear to give more points than actual players. More points are awarded based on level, so killing that 92 Stormie is better than killing a living, thinking opponent. How dumb...

If you're in a PvP zone, the amount of points you gain is dependant on a few things like the ratio of the two factions, how many times your faction has died, etc.  If your faction outnumbers the other, you will get less GCW points.  NPC points appear to stay the same, elites give 12 and non-elites give 3.  The few people I killed yesterday gave 20.

Most of my day yesterday was spent base busting.  The larger bases give 1000 points when you destroy them with the smaller ones giving anything between that and 200.

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208
    Right, so as a Jedi, I get zero points for "participating" in a base takedown. At least any base I have participated in so far has neeted zero. I am thinking that if you haven't done somethign with a terminal, you don't get any points. The PvP deaths tonight were yielding about 3 points. Its a good thing they documented all of these changes... /sarcasm off

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

Any body gets the points for blowing the bases up no matter if you di stuff at the terminal or not.  You do need to be at the base as it blows up to get the points though.