Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game will be the next SWG/WOW?

Comments

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    hmmmm a new really good game?....well im still hoping that someone is going to make an SWG 2 based off of the KotOR series. but SWG right now isnt as bad as everyone says it is, theyve changed a lot from when they first started the NGE thing.

as for new up-and-coming games that have been verified, im goin for Divergence Online as the new game to beat them all.

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    fallen earth could be great, if they are still working on it. those icarus guys are too tight lipped!
  • FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Well first of all it's fairly biased to call SWG good lol. That game could have been massive, only reason it's survived is the Star Wars movie fanbase. World of Warcraft in its own right is only a success because it's a decent MMORPG based on a widely popular RTS game. Then everyone told their friends to play and they told their friends and it got big and it won't shrink soon. I gotta commend Blizzard for well done advertising and polished gameplay.

The MMORPG genre has been spewing garbage the last 2 years. Lineage 2, WoW and EQ2 all came out the same year. Since then no other game has really made an impact. I don't even consider Guild Wars an MMORPG. As for the next, I'm crossing my fingers for NCSoft to get it right once with Aion or Lineage 3.

• BayonetReconBayonetRecon Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Hello Kitty Online World 2 

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Most of the new MMO's coming out look/sound no different than the current ones besides the exception of GnH. I see people getting all hyped about Warhammer online and my question is why? I don't see anything innovative and if you look closely it's a mixture of Daoc and WoW...YAY! Not!  Gods & Heroes seems to be  developing a game with a different approach, instead of the same old Dwarves,Orc, etc... they're bringing a Roman style with easy access to 40 man raids with Minions. I do hope a ton of new MMO's come out that have depth and everyone will enjoy just for the simple fact the selection is getting stale.
  • Battousai9Battousai9 Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Ice3002

I wasnt really sure if this would be the best topic too post this up at but since this is the beta i decided that
    most of u should have an idea of what games are too come. Well after playing swg since beta its not what it
    usto be and of course as most swg players, i have been swaping from swg too wow... etc. and i was
    wondering what game u guys think will be the next SWG or WOW i want too start playing a game from beta
    Being that i started swg from the begining and its been a great game i would like too do the same with
    another one but i just havent been able too find any real good ones. If any of u can comment on what new
    good release are coming up plz let me know. Any help would be great. thx and have a great day.

personaly why would you want another WOW or SWG look alike, isn't there enough of copy craps of them already, don't get me wrong there both good games but, there all old and been used way too much, what ever happen to orignality we need something new. What I would really like to see is an mmo with real time combat.

I am the fearless Battousai, In chinese they call me HaoQi because I am a wonderer

• RamonSternsRamonSterns Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Gorukha
      NEXT SWG ? Are you under the impression that game made even a tiny wave in the mmorpg wrold ? The game was a piece of grabage from the start. 

Lol, SWG was a good game, even if Lucas Arts screwed it up. 

I believe Vanguard would be a SWG/WoW/EQ Hybrid.  The game looks awesome, defenetly looks more realistic than WHO, and seems like the World is huge compared to many other games.   Not to mention large amount of mounts, ships, and some flying creatures to choose from which some can be upgraded/armored.

• JinsongJinsong Member UncommonPosts: 3

Originally posted by Marchus
    Ultima Online 2.

Good luck to Warhammer. Looks like it will be a fun game if they do a good job ignoring the EA reps.

I agree. SWG is still the best MMOROG I have never played, of course before they made it unplayable and every city becames a ghost down.
  • TheRedDreadTheRedDread Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Warhammer Online and Lord of the Rings Online.

• GoranaGorana Member Posts: 9

SWG had it own problems, we all don't want to deny that. But, SWG was unique for itself.

Main thing why i liked pre-cu SWG was, that when i saw mob or other player, i really did not know how tough people were, no levels. Also, everyone could go together on hunt. Mob went for people who developed most hate in them, that was usually related to who produced most damage. In cu and in nge, mob simply goes for smallest guy, which dies within seconds then.

What i hated was, that everyone was walking in one type of armor (composite, anyone?) and everyone tried to go for "Template of the month". Also, these jobs people did: hologrinding, later willage...

Anyway, it was fun as long as it lasted. But i really really hope that i will see simmilar built MMOG, based on skills instead of levels. Also, a world where you are not sent to go particular way, born in newb city, go through quests there, quests sends you to next one, etc. Also, to see classes/skills which do not advance through fighting monsters.

*dreams...* 

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Vanguard is pure garbage. We won't go anymore into that, but trust me it is.

I think either Warhammer Online or Age of Conan will be the next big one. Although I heard that AoC will be mostly instanced (i could be wrong), but if it is then that's a complete turnoff. Some instancing is ok, but to base a MMO around it is a cause for failure.

With that in mind, Warhammer could take the cake. I haven't heard too much yet on Gods and Heroes. Will have to wait and see.

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381

None of these will be the next WoW- but these are my guesses for "Hits" for next year.

1- Warhammer

2- Lord of the Ring 

3- Ragnarok Onilne 2image- I never knew they have had 2 million independent subs over their lifespan- uhh..... wow.

• AnimationAnimation Member Posts: 7

Yeah I started playing swg just because it was starwars and that started my mmo addiction. From there I was having withdraw so I went to lineage 2 and ffxi and then wow finally came out. I played that for about a year and then I started looking for something else and I have yet to find something fun. So the next game that I know im diffently going to get is warhammer. But any suggestions on anything till then?

• Dr_DoomDr_Doom Member Posts: 33
    I too think warhammer had/has the potential to be something big. Unfortunatly I also know what EA did to UO, and how they are sticklers for deadlines and will ship a product that sucks because of it. I maintain that mythic will break under the cracking of the whips and put out a sub par game...

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Gods and Heroes.

• LaunvatarLaunvatar Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 127

Originally posted by Gorukha
      NEXT SWG ? Are you under the impression that game made even a tiny wave in the mmorpg wrold ? The game was a piece of grabage from the start. 

SHUT UP

ROTFLTHTSASTCMMMWIATIHEPMASCTPATTMTMHAAOTIYFYSFPOSWYLJTMMLTMYB

Rolling On The Floor Laughing Too Hard To Stop And Scaring The Cat, Meanwhile My Mom Walked In And Thought I Had Eaten Poisonous Mushrooms And She Called The Paramedics And They Took Me Too Mad House And All Of This Is Your Fault You Stupid Fathead Piece Of **** With Your Lame Jokes That Make Me Laugh This Much You Bastard

• stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

I have beta tested many games recently and they all are the same old dull and boring MMPORG, somebody must be selling a development kit cause they all look and play the same..

Hopefully something new will come to light that gets us all hooked again!

• TevrTevr Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by stevengw

I have beta tested many games recently and they all are the same old dull and boring MMPORG, somebody must be selling a development kit cause they all look and play the same..
    Hopefully something new will come to light that gets us all hooked again!

U should check out Chronicles of Spellborn I'm tired of seeing the same over and over again with just other graphics but this game currently in closed beta got me all hyped again.
  • MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

wait...are you asking for the next game that will screw their playerbase or the next game that gets a massive population?

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    well there are a couple comming out, but after betaing them i don't see
    them being a big named game.  Some will go to it but it won't be
    anything spectacular

• SlouisSlouis Member Posts: 2

You people have some high hopes for something "take down" WoW. It's not going to happen anytime soon. Nothing on the horizon has what it takes to cater to the many different varieties of players WoW does (and i hate saying that). Look how long it took for the other "Big" games to die out. EQ is STILL going strong whether people want to admit it or not. DaoC is going pretty well from what i can see still. WoW is going to be big for a long time. This is year 2 and an expansion is coming soon (Finally). Balance issues are about to be solved (by the easy way out) and a ton of new stuff to do is following.

The only thing you can hope to do at this point is appeal to one specific genre of gamer. PvP and Teamwork fall hand in hand so a game that caters to that specific area will draw a piece of the "WoW Pie" away - (IE Darkfall, and MAYBE Warhammer). Vanguard (pre afilliation with SOE) looked to be promising for the PvE side of the tracks...but even with SOE marketing the game will fall short, they may not have creative control...but they don't have to publish the game if they dont like it or think it won't be drawing in enough cashflow.

Outside of these, I havn't seen a game that is going to have the mass appeal of all gamer types blizzard draws in. They have pretty good customer support and staff, steady flows of news, multi-national recognition, and an Icon everyone was already drawn to.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

"If" this game is half of what they are saying it will be I think Star Trek On-line may be one to watch. This game seems to offer a different intellegent approach to charactor developement no other game I've played has had. Where intellegence in figuring out how to accomplish goals in missions will advance your char instead of the mindless killing of 1000 snakes and rats. This game seems to offer an experience that will appeal to trekkies and non-trekkies alike. Now all that said this game is in developement and may not be all that it has promised to be. I for one am watching it closely as I feel this game will be one to redefine the genre if they do it right.

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TayemTayem Member Posts: 16

Personally i think and hope Vanguard will be a great game for the ppl they cater too.
    Im also keeping an eye on warhammer (dwarfs going down a waterfall in barrels is just hilarious enuf to get me interested) image

• EiindyinEiindyin Member Posts: 11

lol @ all the uneducated bashing of every other game in this post...

image waaahh** I want a new game...but I'm too damn lazy to describe how I want it to be different...it just has to be different. That's what most of you sound like lol. What's with all the WHO and VG bashing?  Both look like great games to me, and I may very well try both.  Bashing a game due to 'videos' you've seen is inaccurate because it's beta, not everything is in including animations etc.

So you 'hear' bad stuff about the game?  Wow, you're trusting the word of someone who breaks a legal agreement aka the NDA, congratz! Their words hold little creditibilty to me.  The people that actually ENJOY the game aren't going to break the NDA to post all the great things about it and/or they're too busy playing it.

Anyway, some of your opinions make me sick and I'm certainly going to stop coming to these forums for info about games, because a lot of you just whine and bitch without adding any content to your arguement aside from "I want something different!"

Oh well...I think WHO and VG will compete for the top MMO spot.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I also get tired of all the people who bash games without really knowing much about them. Either they have seen a screenshot or a movie that they did not like or my personal favorite.....Oooooo the big evil SOE might make 2 cents of my money off it! imageLOL I judge a game only after I have read all I can find about it and look at all the screens/Movies and if at all possible try the game for myself. Some games however make this impossible as they are still in developement and reading about what the Devs are doing is our only source of info.

I have followed WHO and VG for quite some time and even though I haven't personally played either one yet I do have some observations. My major concern about both is I'm looking for something other then the standard MMO Level based grind. Although these 2 games look very impressive they seem to be just newer prettier grind treadmills to me. Now this is NOT my final judgement on either of these games. I will reserve that for after I try them myself.

What I am looking for is something new that breaks out of the level based grind oriented MMO mold. 2 games in development that seem to fit this bill are Pirates of the Burning Sea and Star Trek On-line. PotBS uses an economy based model where everyone is basically human and your ship makes or breaks you. You can obtain money in many ways including crafting, trade, buccaneering, or good old fashion payment for services. This will offer the player many opportunities for advancement and none of them involve killing thousands of rats,bats and snakes to level. Also I like Star Trek On-line. This game uses a Mission based advancement system. In this game using Intelligence to figure out goals during missions will matter more then just mindlessly killing mobs. Both of these games will redefine what a MMO is and should be worth anyones time.

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }