Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keymaps

I apologize if this is a question that gets asked a lot, but I didn't see a search feature on these boards, so I'll just ask.

I'm new to WoW, but I've been playing SWG since a few months after the game started.  One of the things I'm having trouble with in WoW is the keymapping.  I'd like to find a keymap that is more like the original SWG keymap, but I don't really know how to change some of the settings.  The biggest problem I'm having is that currently, if I right-click with my mouse, I can use the mouse to "steer" my WoW avatar.  What I would like to do is change it so that I don't have to right-click to do that.  I want to move my mouse to look around and turn left and right, but I can't find an option for that.  Anyone?

Comments

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

within the wow game click on the little computer icon (the one that has the logoff, interface options etc)

One of the choices there is key bindings. select it. You can assign two bindings to each action. And mouse movements can be bound. simply highlight the box then hit the desired key or mouse button.

• orniskornisk Member Posts: 3
    I found that option before, but it's the actual mouse movements that have my perplexed.

The problem I'm having is in turning.  Currently, if you hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse, your character turns in the direction you moved the mouse.  What I'd like is to not have to hold down the mouse button.  I want to simply move my mouse left or right and have my character move.

Any suggestions?

• DaruleDarule Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by ornisk
    I found that option before, but it's the actual mouse movements that have my perplexed.

The problem I'm having is in turning.  Currently, if you hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse, your character turns in the direction you moved the mouse.  What I'd like is to not have to hold down the mouse button.  I want to simply move my mouse left or right and have my character move.

Any suggestions?

not sure if that's the smartest idea. You are thinking as if you are playing CS. If your view turns without holding on the right mouse button, then it makes it hard to select targets. Sure you can use tab, but when there are more than three mobs in front of you, tabs is inaccurate and slow. that's just my opinion though. You might be able to find an ADDON that does what you want, but I highly doubt it.
  • orniskornisk Member Posts: 3
    Actually, I'm not thinking of CS, but that does give an accurate description of the movement I'm talking about. 

What I was actually thinking of however was Star Wars Galaxies.  The difference between the two games (WoW and SWG) is that in WoW, you have to hold down a key or button to turn with your mouse, and if you let go of that button, your mouse is a pointer to select targets.  In SWG, the button is more like a toggle switch.  Click the button, and your mouse is a pointer instead of turning you.  Click it again and your mouse is no longer a pointer, and instead turns your character.  That's what I want, if it is possible.

Actually, as an aside, the SWG system is a little different than that.  When the mouse is being used to turn the character, there is still a centered pointer that can select targets (actually, you can even adjust the sensitivity so that you can use the mouse to guide you, and yet still have a littler area in the center of the screen to move the pointer around in).  Then, if you click the button, the mouse roams around the screen as a pointer, but if you move the pointer to the edges of the screen and keep moving the pointer, it will slowly turn your character.  I realize that this may not seem ideal to someone who is used to WoW, but I'm not, so I'm looking to see if I can't change it to something I'm move comfortable with, and hence more proficient with.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

unfortunately i don't think you can do what you are asking about. it does not let you change the mouse settings in "key bindings". i just hold right click when i am in pvp combat, other than that it isn't a big deal to me if i don't use it.