Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Rebellion Update

LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

Ok guys - quick update

I have registered a domain that will house a messageboard for the people listed in the Roll Call thread.

The Domain is RLMMO.com (It will be a few days for the DNS changes to propagate)

The board will not be open registration.  It will only be available to the people in Roll Call thread.

Once we have completed this thread we will be collecting information on your general location, and primary skill set.  In other words, what part of the country you're from (no specific addresses or even cities), and a primary skill where you feel like you can contribute. 

Once we have that, we will work on breaking everyone down to specific committees, and after 2 months, the committee will decide on one person to be the committee chair or correspondent.

There is a couple of directions that the Rebellion can take.

for example.

I thought that maybe we could work towards putting together a "reputable" gaming site offering our insights, and influence on the gaming industry.

Whatever project the rebellion chooses to do, It must
Be a strong presence in the Gaming Industry.
Make it's own money.
Not require money from it's members.
conduct business in a professional manner.
if you guys would like to add to this list or remove from it - let me know

As we solidify operations, we should look to file our Articles of Incorporation (to protect members), and develop a business plan.  This should define exactly the type of Business we would like to run, and the way we would like it run.

As far as money, the business will make it's own money, and will be managed by a specific Accounting Dept, working with the appointed Treasurer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you all feel this should go in a different direction.

BTW - please let me know if I missed anyone, have anyone twice, or you would like to be taken off this list.

Thanks

Comments

• LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

Another thing - I need someone to start a "Rebellion Skillset", and "Rebellion Location" (For example "Texas", no specifics) thread. 

The person that starts the thread commits to collecting the info and cross checking the replies againt the Roll Call list. 

Lets have 2 different people working on each thread.

Thanks guys.

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    A rebel without a cause.

Nowhere in your post does it state what you're rebelling against, what your goals are, or how you intend to achieve them.

Your business plan also sucks, since "making its own money" says nothing about how the money will actually be made. You don't even specify the domain in which the business will exist.

So, what's the purpose of all this?

Originally posted by Rekrul
    A rebel without a cause.

Nowhere in your post does it state what you're rebelling against, what your goals are, or how you intend to achieve them.

Your business plan also sucks, since "making its own money" says nothing about how the money will actually be made. You don't even specify the domain in which the business will exist.

So, what's the purpose of all this?

The Rebellion is just a term used to describe the people in the Roll Call thread.

It is just a title.

As far as the business, How the business makes money should be left up to the people that make up the group.  There are alot of possibilites with a group this large,  and with a broad diversity in skills, and locations.

The business plan can't be done unitl the majority of the Rebellion decides what they would like to do.

Lets just say that we wanted to do a gaming site along the lines of Gamespy.

Well we have the skills to develop a site, and we have the people that can do the articles, reviews, previews , and such.  We could conduct interviews, and get inside information.

The only way to have a voice in the gaming indutry is to have a reputable organization that can influence others, and the way others develop games.   

As far as how the business makes money, there are are the obvious, advertisement slots, featured articles, potential printed media, and maybe game sales.  It really does not matter, each person here represents a significant marketing potential, spread accross the country, and into different industries.

I'm not asking for people to invest money, or to quit their jobs.  I'm not even saying that we would have to start anything.  Just pointing out the obvious potential inherent in the members of this site. 

It is up to the group as to what we do.

Just trying to get organzied. 

Great, I'm in.

I deal with time-share property. Let me know when you're ready to invest.

Great, I'm in.

Not really sure if your serious, but if your interested please make it known in the Roll Call thread.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Leel

Great, I'm in.

Not really sure if your serious, but if your interested please make it known in the Roll Call thread.

Thanks.

Before going into business, look into stuff like that.

It does not have to be an actual business, but use a business model in the group's operation.

The original thread clearly states the need to influence the gaming industry specifially.

I'm not trying to convince you to do anything, and am not interested in selling or investing in time-share property.  If you're just spamming this thread, then please stop.

It does not have to be an actual business, but use a business model in the group's operation.
    The original thread clearly states the need to influence the gaming industry specifially.
    I'm not trying to convince you to do anything, and am not interested in selling or investing in time-share property.  If you're just spamming this thread, then please stop.

Business exist for one sole purpose. To earn money.

Organizations that represent people in general population in terms of financial benefits are usually unions.

If you want influence in gaming industry, bring money. Lots of it (millions of $ yearly). Then invest into projects. Gaming industry is not a charity or social endevour. It isn't there for the benefit of society or consumer. Every single gaming company that exists today was in it for the money, or it went bankrupt without releasing a single product.

Even worse, game development studios can no longer survive in this world. They simply lack the power to bring even their own products to market. Gaming industry is a publishing business. This is the only way to get things done.

A publishing business needs to establish power. In western world, there are very few publishers left. They are the likes of EA, Vivendi, SOE. Rest of the world relies on smaller publishers like Garage Games, JoWood, PlayNC and others.

None of those have ever attempted to make their voice heard. They are too busy survivng making miserable profits of ever decreasing profit margins.

Independant journalism doesn't exist in gaming industry. Any media outlet that had even minor influence on trends has been long ago sold to big players. The owners made some money, the outlets remained what they always were, marketing hubs.

For every game that is published, 50 end in bargain bins, and 50 more die silent death. And the big bucks in computer entertainment turn elsewhere. The likes of Deer Hunter and such. The Wal-Mart outlet.

I sincerly hope this isn't based on some spite to SOE in particular. In that case you severly underestimate what SOE is about. What it takes to run a company like that and gain as much influence as they did. Vivendi for example couldn't care less about others since they have always operated internally. They don't care about trends.

This is the question that is still left open and your incentive didn't answer. What are you trying to acomplish?

"Voice in game industry" is not an acomplishment. This is what blogs are for. If they offer even minimal substance, they'll get heard. But they won't change anything, unless you have money to back it up.

The one and only way to have a voice that will be heard, is to start a game publishing/development enterprise, and develop succesful products. Then use those to further your agenda. But having a voice does nothing in an industry that can only sell what has been delivered.

Is your hope for your endevour to represent SWG gamers? Why would anyone in their right mind listen to an opinion of some players. If anything, everyone will want to hear from one group only - WoW players. Not SWG.

Are you trying to make a gaming site? Like gamespy, mmorpg.com or VN boards?
    Are you trying to start a gaming company?
    Are you trying to start a gamer's union?
    Are you starting an investment portfolio for game companies?
    Are you making another SWG message board?
    Are you running a ponzi scheme? A pyramid scheme?
    Or what else?

How WILL you make money? Since it will not come from members and it will not come from outside investors (you exclude both of those options), where will it come from? Because you'll be starting with $0.00. And all members and outside investors are forbidden from contributing (from your own statement).

You still haven't even hinted at what you're trying to acomplish at all. You cannot start something that will be "voice". What are you offering that is unique, and how will you know if, after 1 year, you have acomplished the goal. Why commitees? Why accounting department?

And no, this isn't trolling. These are just the first questions that pop into my head when I hear business. Before even investing a single dime into anything, you should have worked out a solid business plan, with complete contingency, have investors lined up, done market analysis and more.
  • jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

You have got to be the most tactful and considerate person I have ever encountered!  Ever consider taking a Dale Carnegie course? 

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/search_courses/sem_desc.jsp?cCode=HCDT

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

Good post and I think I understand what your saying a little bit better.

I think for the most part,  I thought it would be a good idea to bring a MMORPG sandbox game concept to this group.

Where the group is something of a guild, and all the members have different interdependant roles. 

The billboard thread got me thinking  - wouldn't it be great if there was group of us that were doing projects like this on a constant basis?  The thing about that is - in order to have a broad and far reaching effect, it would have to be bigger than a billboard and happen a lot more often.  Except, a project any bigger would be too much a of a financial drain for a group of this size to muster.

If we can get a group together, and get the group working on defining goals, roles, and tasks, then the group itself could develop and define whatever course they wanted to take.  Essentially, a sandbox IRL.

I think you have many valid points in your post regarding the goals that a business should aspire to accomplish, but we aren't even close to being there.  That is in the future.  The group would still have to decide what exactly they even wanted to do.  It could be nothing more than venting  and talking.  If they wanted to do something like a WebSite then the group would decide exactly what they want to do, and develop the business plan for it.

I used the gaming site as an example, and if I did not state that clearly enough then that is my bad.

For me, starting up another board for the rebellion is something I wanted to do anyway, and has nothing to do with any future projects.  I probably should have made that more clear.  I also wanted to get a preliminary member list, because I want to avoid a lot of the spamming, and trolling.

Hopefully, that explains a little bit better my intentions.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Originally posted by Rekrul Business exist for one sole purpose. To earn money.

Organizations that represent people in general population in terms of financial benefits are usually unions...

Way to go in tearing the guy down. That was really supportive of you and I'm sure that gave him loads of encouragement. This response is typical in todays society and has been typical of mankind in general. There is always the majority who will tell you that you can't do it and it can't be done. There is always a person that will bestow doubts on you that will discourage you from acting. Just remember this; before America was born, the majority said we cannot beat the British and it can't be done. Now we have the most successful nation in the world.

If you want to create a website that does reviews and so forth, than I say go for it. You don't need to start a business with the top goal being money. If your goal is for your voice to be heard, then you will accomplish that with a well run website with good reviews. Placing an ad or two on your site wouldn't hurt and could fund your site and the cost to draw in publicity.

You will do fine. I think you have a good head on your shoulders and that you will figure it out. Just don't listen to the naysayers, because they have been saying the same old crap since the dawn of civilization and look at the world now.

Another thing - the only thing I meant by future projects would have to make their own money, and not require money from the members is to present defined and concrete boundaries, that the group would have to consider when taking on future projects.

• IvannatinkleIvannatinkle Member Posts: 109
    A gaming website consisting of all SOE/NGE haters. Good luck with anyone finding any reviews or articles on your site to be "unbiased".

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by Ivannatinkle
    A gaming website consisting of all SOE/NGE haters. Good luck with anyone finding any reviews or articles on your site to be "unbiased".

Well maybe we should be a consumer advocacy group? 

To me the main problem with the MMORPG industry (and my experience in SWG was) is that it is
    essetially a service oriented industry and they have the worst costumer
    service I have ever seen. 

1- We could publish reports on each MMORPG's EULA, listing all the things we
    find objectionable in their EULA.  EX: Blanket statements like "game
    play may change," restrictions on negative feedback, policies that do
    not allow refunds ect...

2- Monitor the customer service in each game first hand.

3- We could take up the causes of consumers who were treated unfairly by a game.

BTW- Answer this question:  How did we become "SOE haters?"

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• WordaenWordaen Member Posts: 203

Ignore this Rekru character. It's obvious he is simply nailing your idea for either the simple enjoyment he gets from ripping someone else down or the fact that he doesn't like it and wants everyone to know that he doesn't and try to get us to not like it either. I don't know but he's definitely the last person I would go to for help given that approach. Every single company on the planet, every product and every gimmick starts with an idea. The idea gains weight and momentum and becomes a plan and gets implemented. If you have a domain name and an idea, start with that. If you don't have a 100% decided direction, so effing what? Having people contribute ideas helps push that in the direction you want. As far as making money, well, since you have a domain name and are looking to put together a skillset to complement it, why not USE that skillset. Sure, might not make money at first but I should think with the hosting, you would have access to a shopping cart - i.e. online store. Maybe that can end up being support, selling items, selling manuals, selling items from games, whatever.

Use the forums you create to generate ideas from your other members, then work on those ideas to help lead you to other ideas. And what happens then? An idea becomes a reality and you move forward with it. Personally, I wish you the best success in your venture bud.

The thing is - We are also a group that enjoys complexity in games, and appreciates open ended content.

With the trend being away from this type of gaming, and towards the linear directed playstyle, I think that it opens up a niche that a gamesite can target. JMO

Thanks Wordaen - I appreciate the words of encouragement.

I was really trying to do something for the community, but it doesn't always come off that way.  I will set up the board, and we will see where it goes from there.

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

The thing is - We are also a group that enjoys complexity in games, and appreciates open ended content.
    With the trend being away from this type of gaming, and towards the linear directed playstyle, I think that it opens up a niche that a gamesite can target. JMO

I think this is a very important point to make.  Leel is not suggesting an organization to whine and gripe about SWG like some of you might think, though such whining would not be forbidden I am sure.

It is very important for this segment of the gaming community to make a unified statement to the MMORPG industry that the tripe being released now is unpalatable to a large number of us.  We need to make sure that somebody out there is listening and may see that there is a niche market consisting of passionate, devoted gameplayers of our type that would become devoted subscribers of the right game, were it made. 

If we do not make our voice heard, it may be a decade or longer before anything suitable comes along.  The industry seems convinced that the type of game we like to play is not profitable enough.  We must succeed in convincing them that they can have a viable playerbase without making more WoW clones.

I for one want to have something to spend my spare time on before I am in a rocking chair.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Very true. Unfortunetly I cannot join your cause, because I don't hate SWG or SOE. I am not really a hating type of guy when it comes to video games. However, I do love sandbox games and find level/class based games restrictive and unfun. I would support a website that promotes sandbox games, but I would not support a website that hates a game for being not like the games it likes.

Also unfortunetly, I still have 3 yrs left in my IT degree. I will be learning programming, networking and etc, but none of that helps you now. I have management skills and I am good with leadership and administrative things, but that doesn't matter, because I am not a Rebel to SWG...even know I don't play the game anymore. I find a lot of the "so called Rebels" to be unfair and just hateful to SWG, SOE, and the people who play it. I do not support that and I hope people like that learn to treat people better one day.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Good post and I think I understand what your saying a little bit better.
    I think for the most part,  I thought it would be a good idea to bring a MMORPG sandbox game concept to this group.
    Where the group is something of a guild, and all the members have different interdependant roles. 
    The billboard thread got me thinking  - wouldn't it be great if there was group of us that were doing projects like this on a constant basis?  The thing about that is - in order to have a broad and far reaching effect, it would have to be bigger than a billboard and happen a lot more often.  Except, a project any bigger would be too much a of a financial drain for a group of this size to muster.
    If we can get a group together, and get the group working on defining goals, roles, and tasks, then the group itself could develop and define whatever course they wanted to take.  Essentially, a sandbox IRL.
    I think you have many valid points in your post regarding the goals that a business should aspire to accomplish, but we aren't even close to being there.  That is in the future.  The group would still have to decide what exactly they even wanted to do.  It could be nothing more than venting  and talking.  If they wanted to do something like a WebSite then the group would decide exactly what they want to do, and develop the business plan for it.
    I used the gaming site as an example, and if I did not state that clearly enough then that is my bad.
    For me, starting up another board for the rebellion is something I wanted to do anyway, and has nothing to do with any future projects.  I probably should have made that more clear.  I also wanted to get a preliminary member list, because I want to avoid a lot of the spamming, and trolling.
    Hopefully, that explains a little bit better my intentions.

So, like a moveon.org but for SWG?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

To me the main problem with the MMORPG industry (and my experience in SWG was) is that it is essetially a service oriented industry and they have the worst costumer service I have ever seen. 

1- We could publish reports on each MMORPG's EULA, listing all the things we find objectionable in their EULA.  EX: Blanket statements like "game play may change," restrictions on negative feedback, policies that do not allow refunds ect...

3- We could take up the causes of consumers who were treated unfairly by a game.

See - that is exactly what I'm talking about.  That's a good idea, and could be addressed by one commitee.  Something like that would definetly send ripples through the industry.  I think we should get these ideas into an environment where something can actually be done with them.  Instead of just constantly saying man i wish things would change, we can try to do something about it.

We know we worked very hard IG for far less reward. 

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

So, like a moveon.org but for SWG?

kinda but without the political affiliation.  I do wish I had their deep pockets though.
  • suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

To me the main problem with the MMORPG industry (and my experience in SWG was) is that it is essetially a service oriented industry and they have the worst costumer service I have ever seen. 

1- We could publish reports on each MMORPG's EULA, listing all the things we find objectionable in their EULA.  EX: Blanket statements like "game play may change," restrictions on negative feedback, policies that do not allow refunds ect...

we could make history as the first mmorpg "watchdog" or ombudsman group. something the industry needs.

I agree - but I think that it could be handled by just one sub-group or Commitee. 

Imagine the impact we could have with a group this size. (120+ and counting)

Lets just say that we had 20 People volunteer for this Watchdog group.

We would still have over 100 people left to work on other projects.  

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631
    I think its a very good idea Leel and applaude you for trying to get something started. I will definately sign up when the site's running and offer what little help I can 

For the Horde!