Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plz explain NGE for a non-player.

2»

Comments

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by MX13
    Tell you what... why don't you list what you think, and I'll list what I think... that sound ok? Or should we just pick apart what the other thinks...

Pick away, when you say something inaccurate I am gonna call you on it.

I didn't say anything inacurate, and all you're doing is trying to play Forum Bully as usual...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I didn't say anything inacurate, and all you're doing is trying to play Forum Bully as usual...

*laughing* forum bully??

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Obraik
    Nope, Jedi had/have to grind to 90 as well :)

Think you better check that O. I got credit for some of my FS grind when the NGE hit and I know I saw 90 jedi standing around launch day. I remember them selling it as a perk for getting screwed as jedi.

About to head to bed so I'll check that tomorrow.  Pretty sure the reason you were seeing 90's after the launch was due to a bug with the respec devices where if you respeced it'd often give you free levels.  That's why you see some lvl 4 or higher crafters and entertainers.  The bug was fixed a day or two after the launch :)  I was one line away on my FS grind and I converted to level 80.

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

Lol guys. No need to rant about each others' rants... Although I can understand the sentiments if the developer pulled the game out from under people. SWG's initial appeal to me was its skill-based model - I just wasn't willing to give SOE (or $OE as you guys appropriately call it) my money.

As for MMO experience, I have played UO, AC1 + AC2, DAoC, Shadowbane, and WoW with brief time in Anarchy Online, EQ1, and like I said beta SWG. So yes it does sound to me like SOE has commited the cardinal sin of doing a 180 degree turn in game model. Worse than releasing a buggy product.

Thanks for the explanations.

Think you better check that O. I got credit for some of my FS grind when the NGE hit and I know I saw 90 jedi standing around launch day. I remember them selling it as a perk for getting screwed as jedi.

About to head to bed so I'll check that tomorrow.  Pretty sure the reason you were seeing 90's after the launch was due to a bug with the respec devices where if you respeced it'd often give you free levels.  That's why you see some lvl 4 or higher crafters and entertainers.  The bug was fixed a day or two after the launch :)  I was one line away on my FS grind and I converted to level 80.

Everyone at Full Template PRe-CU or Level 80 in the CU converted to Level 80, even JEdi. There were some bugs that messed things up, but that is the system.

Obi's right, there was a bug that allowed you to reach 90 on TC, but it wasn't there on Live... but that didn't stop folks from exploiting repeatable quests to get 90 in one day... I watched a Guild all get to 90 on Fleas on day one...

Originally posted by Ohaan

Lol guys. No need to rant about each others' rants... Although I can understand the sentiments if the developer pulled the game out from under people. SWG's initial appeal to me was its skill-based model - I just wasn't willing to give SOE (or $OE as you guys appropriately call it) my money.
    As for MMO experience, I have played UO, AC1 + AC2, DAoC, Shadowbane, and WoW with brief time in Anarchy Online, EQ1, and like I said beta SWG. So yes it does sound to me like SOE has commited the cardinal sin of doing a 180 degree turn in game model. Worse than releasing a buggy product.

Good Gaming

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Ohaan

So yes it does sound to me like SOE has commited the cardinal sin of doing a 180 degree turn in game model. Worse than releasing a buggy product.

Sounds like you get it.  But I would also tell you that releasing a buggy product applies when comparing the NGE at release to the CU just prior to release or the pre-CU just prior to the CU.  A lot of us vets who tried this on Test Center BEGGED SOE not to release the NGE because of how terribly buggy it was.  It was nowhere near ready, worse than the CU at its release which was pretty bad off bugwise.

Make no mistake, all the reasons others have posted are the primary reasons for dissatisfaction, but the NGE was a very buggy product too.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Here's the short list:

32 Professions to 9
    Bad FPS system, with target lock now
    Easy Mode, you can Solo anyhting
    Complete lack of balance
    More bugs than ever
    VERY poor design
    No real direction
    The Current systems won't be finished until late next year
    You're paying to play an Alpha
    Basiclly, a BAD SciFi WoW...

Heh, you couldn't solo before? As for the balance claim, up until the expertise came in the professions were all pretty balanced against each other.  With expertise and it only being in place for Jedi and BH it is out of balance in their favour, although with Chapter 3 Jedi, BH, Smuggler and Officer are all fairly balanced against each other.

Completely correct. In the old system you could also solo almost anything. But in the old system you couldnt just go in blasting away blindly and survive. In the old system you had to think about it. You had to prepare.

My favorite profession was Ranger/Rifleman. I never used buffs or armor. And I soloed rancors on a near constant basis. But it wasnt easy. Before a hunt I would spend an hour prepping. Getting Stims, food, making sure all my weapons were up to it, etc. Then when I hunted I had to find them. Ranger tracking wasnt an easy thing to master. After finding a suitable nest of Enraged or Ancient, I would have to pull them. Use camo, headshot, etc. One wrong move and I woke up in the cloner.  Pull the wrong way and you could bring the whole nest down on you.

Once I had targetted an Enraged Bull Rancor, but during the time of laying down in a prone position I had targetted the nest by accident. Brought the whole nest down on me.

That is the difference between NGE and Pre-CU. In Pre-CU I would clear a nest every 30 minutes to an hour. In NGE I cleared them 6 per hour easy. And never once did I wake up in a cloner hunting rancors in NGE.

Before buffs or armor I soloed the Ancient Rancor in front of the Rancor Cave using only a scout blaster. Took me close to an hour of running like a little girl and using bodyshot and healthshot. Afterwords I was so proud of my accomplishment I told everyone in Theed Cantina. In NGE I can solo a Ancient Rancor in less then a minute. And afterwords I feel like "meh?".

NGE = No real challenge. But that is what SOE and the current fans want. Everything handed to them.

Kai
  • chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    The greatest trick SOE ever played on the gaming community was convincing them that the NGE didnt exist.....

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    In order to solo in pre-CU, one had to have right armor, right buffs (docs/ents/spices/food -- whatever combination people used), and right template.  If one wanted to solo the game, one had to make the decision to do the things it required to solo the game (solo the game = not just lairs but pois/"bosses"/everything).  That much though does not have to go into soloing things in NGE.  And yes, there are a few things one can not solo in NGE but there are things that are soloable in NGE to everyone that would have taken a bit more "effort" to solo in pre-CU.  On top of that, things that were once a "challenge" in pre-CU got nerfed to worthless noob fodder in CU/NGE (squill cave, tuskans as a couple of examples....and if one made the mistake of doing too many of the quests before NGE, good luck finding things for the grind from 80-90 by just exploring, even dath got hit hard with the nerf bat).
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Everyone at Full Template PRe-CU or Level 80 in the CU converted to Level 80, even JEdi. There were some bugs that messed things up, but that is the system.

Obi's right, there was a bug that allowed you to reach 90 on TC, but it wasn't there on Live... but that didn't stop folks from exploiting repeatable quests to get 90 in one day... I watched a Guild all get to 90 on Fleas on day one...

Nope, definetly made it live for a few days, as I said that's why you see crafters and Ents that are higher then level 1.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    It's like nailing Madonna NOW compared to nailing Madonna in 1986.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    having your 10oz prime grade AAA Filet Mignon replaced with a steaming pile of dog poo.

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

The NGE was an attempt to turn an Ultima Online style RPG into a Diablo 2 style ARPG. It has elements from both kinds of games that don't work together, at all.

RPG elements;

Crafting
    Noncombat character advancement (not having to kill anything to increase in character ability)
    Community building tools (houses, player cities, etc)
    Unlimited PvP

ARPG elements;

Loot
    Point and click combat
    Directed content
    Instanced content
    Rigid class system
    No down time

The ARPG elements for the most part negate all of the leftover RPG elements or at the very least make leave them in a half working state that just serves to frustrate the players that cling to them in the face of an entire game style change. For instance crafting. Looted and quest reward pieces can be found that are superior in all areas to the items that can be crafted thereby turning the crafting element of the game into an after thought rather than a needed piece of a functioning game world like it was during the RPG version of the game.

Former SWG beta tester and player

Nope, definetly made it live for a few days, as I said that's why you see crafters and Ents that are higher then level 1.

My GF is a LVL 2 Ent to this day, and she's never used her respec Device... that error happened during a players first respec, not the device... people did loose levels using the device though...

• bigherbbigherb Member Posts: 76
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned this...

This is an MMO right?  Look at the second M in MMO.   Multiplayer.  Everytime I have had the oppritunity to see the game in live action, I have not see enough player to classify this as a multiplayer.  I have seen more players on a Battlefield2 server.

So add lack of commumity to negative effect from the NGE.