Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plz explain NGE for a non-player.

OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

I played SWG during the beta and I just couldnt get excited about it, plus it was SOE (sorry I'm prejudiced). Nonetheless I like to keep tabs on the game and have read a lot about how NGE has ruined the game. Exactly what is it and how has it changed gameplay?

TIA

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    The game is no longer skill based.  Instead, you now level up and you have the choice of 9 different professions (12 if you count all the crafting professions too) which you can't mix and match.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Here's the short list:

• 32 Professions to 9
    • Bad FPS system, with target lock now
    • Easy Mode, you can Solo anyhting
    • Complete lack of balance
    • More bugs than ever
    • VERY poor design
    • No real direction
    • The Current systems won't be finished until late next year
    • You're paying to play an Alpha
    • Basiclly, a BAD SciFi WoW...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by MX13

Here's the short list:

32 Professions to 9
    Bad FPS system, with target lock now
    Easy Mode, you can Solo anyhting
    Complete lack of balance
    More bugs than ever
    VERY poor design
    No real direction
    The Current systems won't be finished until late next year
    You're paying to play an Alpha
    Basiclly, a BAD SciFi WoW...

hit the nail on the head, brother. anyone who likes this kind of game would obviously play wow and not have the bugs,stupid lazy csrs, lag, lazy coders, etc. the only thing $oe managed to do was alienate loyal players

and make star wars a mmo joke.

Here's the short list:

32 Professions to 9
    Complete lack of balance
    More bugs than ever
    VERY poor design
    No real direction

Heh, you couldn't solo before? As for the balance claim, up until the expertise came in the professions were all pretty balanced against each other.  With expertise and it only being in place for Jedi and BH it is out of balance in their favour, although with Chapter 3 Jedi, BH, Smuggler and Officer are all fairly balanced against each other.

Originally posted by Obraik

Here's the short list:

32 Professions to 9
    Complete lack of balance
    More bugs than ever
    VERY poor design
    No real direction

Heh, you couldn't solo before? As for the balance claim, up until the expertise came in the professions were all pretty balanced against each other.  With expertise and it only being in place for Jedi and BH it is out of balance in their favour, although with Chapter 3 Jedi, BH, Smuggler and Officer are all fairly balanced against each other.

I don't think he asked about your opinion of my opinion...

Oh, and no, you couldn't Solo everthing... you can now drive arounf Dath and nothing will attack you, that's just stupid...

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    This is topic for current forum.

Originally posted by Rekrul

He's asking the Vets... seems to be a topic for either forum to me...

Here's the short list:

32 Professions to 9
    Complete lack of balance
    More bugs than ever
    VERY poor design
    No real direction

Oh, and no, you couldn't Solo everthing...

Heh, and since when has that stopped anyone :P

And you can't solo everything in the NGE either, such as the Mustafar instances

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

I posted here because I wanted opinions on how NGE has negatively impacted the game.
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Here's the short list:
    <[*]32 Professions to 9 </p>[*]Bad FPS system, with target lock now [*]Easy Mode, you can Solo anyhting [*]Complete lack of balance [*]More bugs than ever [*]VERY poor design[*]No real direction[*]The Current systems won't be finished until late next year[*]You're paying to play an Alpha[*]Basiclly, a BAD SciFi WoW...

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

The game is no longer skill based.  Instead, you now level up and you have the choice of 9 different professions (12 if you count all the crafting professions too) which you can't mix and match.

Seriously, they went to a level based system like every Everclone? Is there a level cap?

How were previous subscribers' characters converted to the new system?

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by Ohaan

I posted here because I wanted opinions on how NGE has negatively impacted the game.

When you say non-player, you do not exactly state your experience with MMORPGs, just with SWG.

MMORPGs are about virtual achievements. They are all trivial. Levels, items looted, artefacts crafted, playtime rewards, etc.

NGE, with no warning, alternative or consideration destroyed each and every achivement. While this is a trademark of SOE's games, the extent to which it occured with NGE went beyond simple or complex nerfs, but, in scope of MMORPGs, reached apocalyptic proportions. For all practical purposes, it was same as if the game shutdown with no warning.

Some still argue that it was all worthless in the first place, but those tend to forget about what MMORPGs really are. And destroying any kind of achievement is the highest sin a publisher can commit.

The result, was expected.

• CastleGoobCastleGoob Member Posts: 134

So basically its will have taken almost 2 years to balance the nine cut back professions.

hmmm so the simpler cut down code that was one of the infamous selling points of this really is bearing fruit. /Sarcasm off.

Seriously, they went to a level based system like every Everclone? Is there a level cap?

You cap at level 90.  Characters from the CU converted based on their combat level, characters from pre-cu that never logged in during the CU were converted based on the the skill boxes that they had. Two elite master professions would convert you to level 80 (the highest you could convert to, have to grind to 90).

Originally posted by Rekrul This is topic for current forum.

- It has removed character diversity.
    - You can either be a crafter or a combatant, not both.
    - no longer needing to re-grind a profession. With some credits you can change to any profession at whatever level you are.
    - The game is completely combat-centric now.
    - The development team seems to lack any real direction. They threw the NGE in on a whim with the concept "we like it so stick it in and then we will figure out how to make it work"
    - no collision detection (for NPC's), and I doubt it will ever make it in.

There are a few off the top of my head.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Obraik The game is no longer skill based.  Instead, you now level up and you have the choice of 9 different professions (12 if you count all the crafting professions too) which you can't mix and match. Seriously, they went to a level based system like every Everclone? Is there a level cap?
    You cap at level 90.  Characters from the CU converted based on their combat level, characters from pre-cu that never logged in during the CU were converted based on the the skill boxes that they had. Two elite master professions would convert you to level 80 (the highest you could convert to, have to grind to 90).

Full template Jedi would convert to 90.

- Scaris

Before I left, I soloed EVERY SINGLE THING in the game.... including the Droid Army & HK... if you didn't need the door codes entered, I could have done every single instance solo as well...

Originally posted by Fadeus

Here's the short list:
    <[*]32 Professions to 9

[*]Bad FPS system, with target lock now
    [*]Easy Mode, you can Solo anyhting
    [*]Complete lack of balance
    [*]More bugs than ever
    [*]VERY poor design
    [*]No real direction
    [*]The Current systems won't be finished until late next year
    [*]You're paying to play an Alpha
    [*]Basiclly, a BAD SciFi WoW...
    Ò/ul>

Oh ofcourse, because you couldn't solo anything pre-cu. And the game was so finished when it was released at launch.

How about throwing out something valid. I can think of a million things bad to say about the NGE, what do you do? Pick everything that was wrong with the real game as well short of the original having direction.

Tell you what... why don't you list what you think, and I'll list what I think... that sound ok? Or should we just pick apart what the other thinks...

Before I left, I soloed EVERY SINGLE THING in the game.... including the Droid Army & HK... if you didn't need the door codes entered, I could have done every single instance solo as well...

Ok so you are saying your statement is antiquated then?

- Scaris

Originally posted by CastleGoob

So basically its will have taken almost 2 years to balance the nine cut back professions.
    hmmm so the simpler cut down code that was one of the infamous selling points of this really is bearing fruit. /Sarcasm off.

Actually, by the time they finish it will be 5 years, and there's no sign they will be balanced... personally, I'm at a loss for words about it...

Originally posted by Obraik The game is no longer skill based.  Instead, you now level up and you have the choice of 9 different professions (12 if you count all the crafting professions too) which you can't mix and match.

Full template Jedi would convert to 90.

Nope, Jedi had/have to grind to 90 as well :)

Ok so you are saying your statement is antiquated then?

WTH are you talking about? Or are you just Trolling for Trolling sake again...

Tell you what... why don't you list what you think, and I'll list what I think... that sound ok? Or should we just pick apart what the other thinks...

Pick away, when you say something inaccurate I am gonna call you on it.

- Scaris

Nope, Jedi had/have to grind to 90 as well :)

Think you better check that O. I got credit for some of my FS grind when the NGE hit and I know I saw 90 jedi standing around launch day. I remember them selling it as a perk for getting screwed as jedi.

- Scaris

Droid Army isn't soloable anymore since the Droids now attack the bases as they were meant to and you won't be able to keep up with them all and stop them, same goes for the DF2 with the radioactive (if you get pass the mass spawn of droids before that).  HK isn't soloable anymore since you can't call a vehicle in the instance, nor will the minions ignore you.  Combat is also slower then it was during the first few months of the NGE so in many cases you just can't kill everything needed before the timer runs out.