Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am suprised..

That no one has talked about the Waylayer Class yet!! they seem awesome im gonna probably try them out, they are way better than bow users imo, what do you guys think?

Comments

• RockyRamboRockyRambo Member Posts: 37
    right!?!
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

All right, you just sit there on the other end of the field,  when I say go, we try to kill each other.

Bet I drop you long before you can touch me

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• RockyRamboRockyRambo Member Posts: 37
    but they said the crossbow delivers more powerful attacks than the bow and can even shoot an arrow right through its target and damage the one behind it

Originally posted by RockyRambo
    but they said the crossbow delivers more powerful attacks than the bow and can even shoot an arrow right through its target and damage the one behind it

True, but the ranger can:

A: shoot much faster than the crossbowman (historically, a good longbowman could get off 7-8 shots a minute, crossbows were down to a shot every 1 and a half minuts depending on the model)

B: Shoot much further and more accurately

This is not to say that the ranger is better either, if the waylayer catches one in an ambush...

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• JaquestrapJaquestrap Member Posts: 39
    actually the crossbow shot as far and sometimes farther than a longbow, though everything else you said just about hit it.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Yeah... I'm sure their going to reproduce authentic archery physics and load times...

http://www.bow.k12.nh.us/CyberBUS/armor%20and%20weapons/CROSSBOW%20ANIMATION.GIF

http://madrash.ch/Vinland7/ballista.jpg

Originally posted by rounner

Yeah... I'm sure their going to reproduce authentic archery physics and load times...
    http://www.bow.k12.nh.us/CyberBUS/armor%20and%20weapons/CROSSBOW%20ANIMATION.GIF
    http://madrash.ch/Vinland7/ballista.jpg

Based on the gameplay videos, they have already gotten real close to it, its not that hard.

What're the links for anyways? they dont have any connection to the issue at hand that I can see

Hemingway

• JuneliJuneli Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Jaquestrap
    actually the crossbow shot as far and sometimes farther than a longbow, though everything else you said just about hit it.

It depends on the time period. 13th Century English longbows had over a 350 yard range, quite a bit more than 13th century crossbows. It wasn't untill two centuries later that crossbows caught up and gradually exceeded that range.

So, in Age of Conan, it could be either way. It just depends which implementations of these two technologies the developers base their ingame weapons on.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by RockyRambo
    I agree with you on Waylayers and all.. Only thing I fear about Rangers is their snipe attacks... But I think Waylayers (if played right) are going to own.. But then agian I think any class can own if played right.

One thing I think will really help the Waylayer class is the Knockbacks attacks.. I like to see a Ranger try to get off when Im knocking him all over the screen.

Im glad noone is talking about the Waylayers really, it will give those who are skilled enough a chance to really stand out.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Never been big on bow users before, but looks to be a truely unique and interesting twist in AoC, will definatly have an alt that has pew-pew arrows

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• blandonblandon Member Posts: 8

i rekon that the ranger will pwn the waylayer

------------------------------
    Don't Listen To Him He's Drunk On Cheese

• TheAstaldoTheAstaldo Member Posts: 14
    Ranger will pwn the Waylayer, but i think that he will be better against other classes, because he shoots with more power.
  • ChraneChrane Member Posts: 23
    Do we know if there is a difference in HP or Armor capabilities between the Ranger and Waylayer?  I am going to read up on the classes now to educate myself but this could factor in, no?
  • SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    I really doubt the ranger will always hands down own a waylayer, but their jobs ARE completely differant... where with a heavy armored front line the rangers attacks will just bounce off, since there is CD and formations to capitalize on that, but with a waylayer you can shoot the big armored lug in the front clean through to the squishy behind him...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• Personally I wish there were no crossbows in the game at all, in fact I hope there is not plate armor or longbows either, but there will be I am sure.   AoC will essentially be technologically set in the 14th or 15th century probably, if they don't people will piss and moan.  I guess there was steel in the Conan world, I am not sure how prevalent it was supposed to be.  I didn't pay enough attention to such things back when I read the stuff.  If it were me I would put things at maybe a 0AD level of technology, although technically that might include crossbows I would still leave them out.

However I am curious how they plan on differentiating ranger and waylayer.