Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My worries and why I won't play

nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

The game mechanics sound awsome and I like the simulation play over the "what's more fun" attitude of other companies, but there are some things that are keeping me from buying the game.

1.) Bad reviews. There is enough bad reviews going around to make me very wary of this game. Even the Redbedlam CM said the game was not complete yet. They don't even have enough confidence in it to let game reviewers come in yet. This makes me want to wait until I start seeing good professional unbiased reviews from game reviewers.

2.) Payment system. If one warrior starts to buy coin, all warriors have to buy coin. That is just competition. If you want to win, than you must be better and have better weapons and armor than the next person. So this pay plan that makes it seem as though you can make it without paying a dime sucks. I would much rather pay $15 a month and be on equal footing than to have some people puting in a $100 a month. I know you all scoff at that comment, but what is a $100 to a rich person who plays this game.

3.) Population. I like the authenticity and the simulation of this game, but what is the use if you don't have a big enough community to interact with. Right now, the reports I am hearing is that the community is very small. I want huge battles, not little skirmishes. I want hundreds of real people walking through the Roman cities or Barbarion settlements like in the real Roman times, not just a few real people and a bunch of NPC's.

Once these three things are fixed, I will buy the game. But until than, I will wait on the side lines for the next skill-point sandbox game.

Comments

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

First off, let me say I am not trying to get you to buy the game right now.

1) waiting for unbiased reviews makes sense...I would also make sure the reviewer has good experence w/MMOG's...this is an odd duck even for a MMOG.

2) At this point, this isnt a concern. In terms of fighting, one spear is much like another. Character skill>Player skill>>>gear. This may change a little with balistics entry into things in the next 30 days or so. At this point, the fighting guilds in the game are having little problem equiping their troops. On a personal lvl...I am down about 10% from game start...I might have to verm in a year or so...but I am also a good way towards being a citizen. Now if I could just find a pair of affordable shoes.... Also, if the VERM is a real deal breaker for you...you might as well move on now, that is the last thing they will change.

3) If you have read up on this game, you know it is supposed to be a big, wide open, kinda game. I never log on and find Corst(the starter Roman town) empty. There have been times I have had to wait to use public tools(stove, grinding wheel). If the reports from the main Barb town are accurate, it my be a little too crowded.

• siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by nthnaoun 
    2.) Payment system. If one warrior starts to buy coin, all warriors have to buy coin. That is just competition. If you want to win, than you must be better and have better weapons and armor than the next person. So this pay plan that makes it seem as though you can make it without paying a dime sucks. I would much rather pay $15 a month and be on equal footing than to have some people puting in a $100 a month. I know you all scoff at that comment, but what is a $100 to a rich person who plays this game.

While it is true if you pay you will be able to afford more equipment and perhaps better quality of equipment. There is a upper limit of a certain type of armour against certain types of attacks and weapons. Your not invincible just harder to kill. But your still gonna die if you charge head first into a whole legion by yourself.

For instance, a expensive chain mail would do find against a slashing attack from a sword, but you will still have to worry about someone running a spear in between the links on the chain.

Last but not least, like in romans times, large armies were either sponsered by the state or by a wealthy polititian. So you could just sign up for a legion or warband.
  • BennjimBennjim Member Posts: 146

To the op that's some sound reasoning 

1) There have been very few reviews and only one bad vocal review, I agree the game isn't complete yet and the CM is displaying a trait called honesty ;)
    2) The richest man can be stabbed in the back and weapons and armor don't have a lot of influence it's more about your characters skills and tactics in combat.  You're on a level playing field in that respect but money helps just ask IGE.  A company that thankfully will never benefit from the RV revenue model and rich guys just help the game economy and help pay for the people that can't
    3) The game needs populating that's for sure it already benefits from a sound community but needs to recruit more soldiers for change.

Fair enough to stay on the sidelines for a future sandbox experince and in the meantime read up, I think it will suit you

Benny..........................................

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Thanks you all. This is just the type of replies I would expect from a mature community. I just wander if RV will be complete before Dark Fall is released.

As you know, Dark Fall is another sand box game slated for Beta here soon. I will of course go with the first interesting sandbox game that comes along and is in good working order. Whether it is RV or Dark Fall or some other game is a different story. RV definitely has potential though.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
    Releasing an unfinished game and charging money for it is honest how ?  I heard people tell me the game is unfinished now game makers admit the game isn't finished. What's going on exactly ?

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    whats the problem? the game WILL be finished eventually, and you wont of lost any money over it, unlike most mmorpgs out there that you have to pay while they do Combat Upgrade's etc

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      Don't you have to pay an initial fee to play the game ?

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• LordbaldurLordbaldur Member Posts: 31

An MMOG is never finished, yarr. That's a fact.

Now, if you don't like the VERM, don't by the game. But I have gotten by just fine without buying any money from the VERM from when I started playing last October (beta) till this day. Yarr, but people who use VERM will be richer though. And what's the problem with that? They're contributing more to the devs, like the Roman magistrate, singlehandedly paid for all devs food for the last month...

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Lordbaldur

An MMOG is never finished, yarr. That's a fact.
    Now, if you don't like the VERM, don't by the game. But I have gotten by just fine without buying any money from the VERM from when I started playing last October (beta) till this day. Yarr, but people who use VERM will be richer though. And what's the problem with that? They're contributing more to the devs, like the Roman magistrate, singlehandedly paid for all devs food for the last month...

lol, he bought 1 MILLION sesterces. YES, 1 MILLION.