Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Four New Beta Testimonials

ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

The Thread below has 4 new beta tester stories.  While are good, two are very good and I will print them below.  More are going to be added to this thread.

The two stories are quite exciting.  I have been worried about this game for some time.  Since beta 3
started I have had eight freinds get into beta.   I won't violate the
NDA but I will say all of them love the game.  Many are crazy about it. 
Everyone raves about its potential amd seem to be fairly shocked how
good the game is now.  Quite the oppsoite of from what we have heard form two or three people that continously repost the same one or two negative beta two stories.  The beta stories below are consistent with what I have heard about the beta.  I still have my doubts they will be able to finish
this game and make it as polished as it should be but I am much more
optimistic than I was a few months ago. 

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1474829#post1474829

Beta tester Story One

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1475135&postcount=38

This has been an interesting two weeks:

I'm one of the MMORPG nomads. Most of us have the same story --after Luclin, we missed EQ classic and the first 3 expansions, and since then we've wandered from game to game looking for the same feel that we can't quite describe. In my case it's been 8 MMORPG's that served as my temporary homes; for some others there were many more.

I personally didn't get excited about Vanguard; I forced myself not to due to the many dissapointments that resulted from hyped games of fluff. Of course, I filled out the beta application with complete care and feverishly opened the e-mail inviting me to take a peek. It's sort of like checking your voicemail eight times a day, lying to yourself that you aren't checking it to see if that girl from last night called.

Approaching the game was still a matter of apprehension, however. I was rooting for it to be grade A material, but felt convinced that it would be a letdown.

That apprehension is gone.

It's clear that this game is not Everquest with a new graphical engine and world... but that is a good thing. Many elements irked me at first, but over two weeks of play I started to see the reasons behind the change.

Classes are well thought out, and through playing eight characters I can see that a small twist was placed on the fundamentals of each archetype:

Bards used to twist songs to maximize their power. The problem with this is that there were just a few songs powerful enough to really count, so they would twist the same three songs in 80% of the situations they encountered. Twisting was also physically exhausting, as many people would quote the saying "if you don't have broken wrists, you aren't a bard."

Sigil approached this by allowing bards to compose a song with several components as well as creating an energy expenditure depending on the power of the song. This increased the flexibility of the bard by allowing a range between powerful, quick songs, or moderate, sustainable songs. If there's an embellishment you like, you can layer it several times depending on the slots you have, multiplying the end effect. On the other hand, Sigil is able to limit the overpowering issues of certain song components by choosing what type of component they are (you only get one melody slot no matter what level you are). The end result is a system that makes the bard more and more flexible as the levels progress, allowing the player true creativity in how he or she approaches the situation. Does that sound like the nature of a bard to anyone else? That's only scratching the surface.

Rangers choose how long they draw back their bow, increasing accuracy or damage. This gives them choices between firing off quick bursts at easy to hit enemies, or taking their time for that sweet spot critical on a truly fierce monster. If they are too zealous in bringing down a tough monster, it might turn from the heavier fighters and chase the ranger, at which point he can use his energy for a flurry of parries until his backup arrives.

Necromancers have minor minions they can summon, but their cornerstone is the abomination that can be customized with harvested body parts from their fallen foes. This gives them a small, flexible army that they can tailor to their evil needs.

The development ethos of each class seems to have been "how do we make them FEEL like their class? How can we embody the nature of it within the mechanics?"

The strategy goes even deeper with stances. These forms build up over time, so if you stick to one stance in a fight it will hit a maximum bonus (healing, dodging, damage... etc). You need to walk in to a situation with an idea of how you'll approach it, due to the fact that switching from a level 5 dodge stance midfight can put you in a level 0 damage stance that will take time to build. Each class has its unique set of stances and effects, including a blood mage stance that does extra damage but removes their ability to be healed.

Advanced combat chains, saves, reversals, critical, and such are still in development, but their explanation is an article all of its own.

The world feels massive. It doesn't feel like a railroad track of zones specifically coded for that level range. Each square has a level trend, but it can be pretty wide and you have the option of going a few squares over for a different experience with a similar level trend. Almost anything you see (that imposing cliff a few miles off) can be reached, and the larger dungeons you'll see off in the great distance and wonder what lies within. This world feels like a more realistic fantasy (auxy moron, I know) than any online game I've seen previously.

Diplomacy could take five pages to explain, but I'll sum it up: a fun card style game of action-reaction that takes player skill, stat items, and faction levels to gain achievements in. It has meaningful impacts on the world when players work together, which will create a political player system all of its own. It may be that a large group of players want a city to focus on harvesting bonuses, while another group of players feel adventuring bonuses are more important... I believe this system will live up to its name, creating conflicts between player groups that will have to learn to make small concessions to gain their greater wants.

Crafting has a great level of customization, through the use of materials such as attuning dusts as well as their level of quality. If a crafter desires a Grade A final item, they may have to use more expensive components to help them if they're aren't quite good enough to handle that item difficulty. Occasionally, a person may get a chance to turn the item they're creating into a unique item with a special opportunity, which opens up interesting situations for a limited market of rare crafted items that cannot be created on purpose. You'd better be on the good side of the better crafters on your server for the chance of bidding on one of these rarities!

Harvesting is relatively straightforward, but group harvesting is a new twist on an old theme. If nodes of a particular type are in short supply, instead of competing and stealing from eachother, a band of harvesters can work on the same node together. This multiplies the end amount of resources, thus allowing harvesters to work together and both walk out happy. It might be that you find an extremely rare node of material and decide to call in a few harvesting buddies to squeeze every bit out of it! If PvP were to be in Vanguard, this could create some interesting situations to say the least!

Levels are slow and meaningful. This game will not be a quick grind, and max level will most certainly be a mark of a dedicated player. Gear also makes meaningful changes to your character. Items are soft capped, so it isn't an issue if you save up for a great item or find one much higher than you; you can still wear it but it's toned down just a bit. Earning powerful items is still a boon to your character, and it isn't discouraged by a big yellow message saying "You must be level 45 before you may wear this item." Veterans (players with high level characters on their account) get a softer cap than those without, so this helps alleviate the e-bay god syndrome while still maintaining the fun tradition of alt-ing to blow off steam between raids.

I'd love to continue, but I could fill twenty pages. Bottom line, I think this is finally the game that will turn me from my nomadic ways. The concerns I have for it are largely beta issues (fps, lag, bugs), and most of the mechanics that bother me are still in complete flux. I feel that Sigil is really listening to player reactions, and they're not afraid to try a wide array of mechanics before settling on the one that cuts the best line.

Generally, I would say this game is for you if this is your ethos:

Most of the people here want a thinker's game. We want a game that takes tactics more than twitch. We want meaningful challenge linked to a measured and meaningful reward. We want risk to put us on edge and make us even more involved in the situation. We want immersion, to feel like a part of the greater whole. We want a dedicated player to be significantly more powerful than a more relaxed one, though fun options for them both. Want want to EARN being a hero, so that we might truly enjoy the accomplishment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beta Tester story number two

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1475418&postcount=42

Bandits on Lomshir Plain

by Shayalyn

I’ve done a lot of soloing in Vanguard. I like to solo, and Vanguard makes it possible. But the real fun in this game comes from joining a group and heading out to complete some quests together. My Varathari Psionicist was collecting quests at the Dark Horse Track on Lomshir Plain (which is on the continent of Qalia) when somebody put out a shout in the chat channel asking if anyone was interested in running track quests. Aha! Just what I’d been working on. I sent the group leader a /tell, and soon there were four of us charging off across the plain to take on a camp of bandit raiders.

I’d tried pulling these raiders myself before finding a group. As a Psionicist, I’m very capable of crowd control. But I hadn’t been prepared to see four of them rushing me. Now, heading back toward the camp, I was glad that I was in good company. This time I had a Rogue, a Warrior, and a Blood Mage at my side. I felt sure we’d be able to handle this particular adventure.

Faction plays a role in Vanguard, so our group decided it was best to take out the bandit boss first before all his cronies were cheesed off at us. We strolled right into the camp, and right into the house where the boss stood smugly in the corner, waiting for us. I used some crowd control techniques to keep his partner at bay while the group took him out.

Lest you think eliminating the boss was a cakewalk, let me tell you that there are always elements in Vanguard to keep you on your toes. My crowd control technique, for instance, wouldn’t keep the bandit boss’s friend occupied for long. Before the boss was dead, his companion had snapped back to attention, realized what was going on, and decided to take it out on me, the person who’d held him off in the first place. A group needs to know how to work together, and how to protect its members, in order to succeed. Had it not been for some fast work on the part of the Blood Mage, I would’ve had to clean up a tombstone instead of surviving to loot the needed quest item off the boss.

The next element of our quest had us taking out bandits, which we handled well. Of course, by this time our faction was shot and they would attack us on site. But the group was good. I did my best to hold off the steady onslaught of bandits while the Warrior and the Rogue pummeled them into the sand. Our Blood Mage ended up taking a couple of dirt naps, but he remained in good spirits as we raided the camp and collected the quest items we needed. Eventually, we reported back to the Dark Horse Track to earn our quest reward.

The next step in the quest involved some of the many interactive objects you’ll find scattered around Vanguard. Once given a quest involving an object, you’ll be able to right-click to interact with the objects and either gather them or cause a reaction. In this case, we needed to spook the bandit’s horses. A bunch of bandit raiders on the burning plains of Lomshir are nothing without their horses, so we went back to the camp, warded off any bandits who wanted to slit our throats, and frightened the horses so that they went tearing off across the plain. Those bandits wouldn’t be using their horses to jump any unsuspecting travelers any time soon.

This was the first time I’d been a part of a group larger than a duo, and I have to say that enjoying Vanguard with a group of adventurers, while trying to play my class to its fullest, was an experience that left me saying, “Again! Again!” I find myself wanting to go on more quests and play until my eyes cross and I’m falling asleep at the keyboard. Addictive? You bet. And it’s only going to get more addictive when I’ve got my whole guild online and I’m playing with guild groups.

-----------------------------------

You can also read the journal here at Vanguard Ten Ton Hammer!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• I am so excited :) I can only imagine

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Today is the first day I've looked into Vanguard - reading articles, interviews, etc. - and this game sounds great to me. It may or may not be the one for me (won't know until I play it) but reading about some of the unique twists that a few of the classes have in that review makes me hope that the ability to customize and alter your playstyle is there in full effect.

• mp3man4mp3man4 Member Posts: 27
    Very cool.  The freedom of choice and sheer scope of this game look amazing.  I am very excited.

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Just got permission to post mine. Even gave a shout out to Jonaku.

I'm in Beta!

A little history, My first MMO was City of Heroes. I played that for 6 months, then picked up WoW and played that for 18 months. Since then I've been trying to find an immersive, new MMO that rewards skill and risk taking.

I was invited with the first set of invites for Beta 3, and I wasn't expecting too much. I had read over the FAQ, became active in the Community, and even shuned nay-sayers over on MMORPG.com (Hi Jonaku), but in saying this…I've read and seen a lot of the negative opinions that has leaked out of Beta by NDA breakers, and I took that to heart and kept it in mind while I was downloading the client. Now that I've been playing the game for a month or so, I can say with certainty…

Most of the negative responses are crap (mostly).

Sigil still has work yet to do, but Beta 3 Vanguard is (in my opinion) already up to par with many MMOs in their first week…AND IT'S STILL BETA!

My first experiences with the game placed me in Leth Nurae, the High Elf starting area on Thestra. I played a Bloodmage up to level 7. At first I had difficulty coming into my own and learning where everything is, the quests didn't seem linear enough to give me a firm knowledge base about the game and my class (though I admit that I didn't read the Beta guide). I took my issues to the forums and it was suggested that I begin play on Qalia, as it is the newest and most refined of the continents. Thestra will apparently be given a second pass to bring it's quality up to par with Qalia. So I tried it out.

I made a Dark Elven Disciple, and wow. What a difference! Apparently the Sigil team had been paying close attention to the feedback given through the first two (and a half) phases of Beta and worked with that feedback to create Qalia. This second experience was leaps and bounds above the first, and any doubts that I had that Sigil listens to its player base were exercised. Qalia, in my opinion, is on par with most 2nd Generation MMOs…and they’re still collecting feedback to further refine the experience for Kojan (and update existing content). The quests were interesting and introduced me to the culture of elitism and fascism of the Dark Elves, and more importantly….had me DOING interesting things, including helping to destroy the efforts of a Rebel Army and, by using Diplomacy, overthrowing the then current Praefect of Hrathor Zhi (The Dark Elven starting city).

All in all, the game is well on its way to being a fantastic gaming experience. There is so much that is planned that hasn't made it into Beta yet, but I still look forward to playing when I get home. I'm interested in where you guys will stop and what you will consider as complete. As a gamer who never played EQ and got my start in more "casual friendly" games, Vanguard is quickly becoming the game I've been looking to "settle down" with and is already a game I very much want to play. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much!
    Vengy

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    Awesome testimonials and congrats Vengeful! I really like the description of how certain skills are worked out with the different classes. Ranger sounds so fun and you can play how you want. Can't wait!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Vengeful
    Just got permission to post mine. Even gave a shout out to Jonaku. imageI'm in Beta! A little history, My first MMO was City of Heroes. I played that for 6 months, then picked up WoW and played that for 18 months. Since then I've been trying to find an immersive, new MMO that rewards skill and risk taking.I was invited with the first set of invites for Beta 3, and I wasn't expecting too much. I had read over the FAQ, became active in the Community, and even shuned nay-sayers over on MMORPG.com (Hi Jonaku), but in saying this…I've read and seen a lot of the negative opinions that has leaked out of Beta by NDA breakers, and I took that to heart and kept it in mind while I was downloading the client. Now that I've been playing the game for a month or so, I can say with certainty…Most of the negative responses are crap (mostly). Sigil still has work yet to do, but Beta 3 Vanguard is (in my opinion) already up to par with many MMOs in their first week…AND IT'S STILL BETA!My first experiences with the game placed me in Leth Nurae, the High Elf starting area on Thestra. I played a Bloodmage up to level 7. At first I had difficulty coming into my own and learning where everything is, the quests didn't seem linear enough to give me a firm knowledge base about the game and my class (though I admit that I didn't read the Beta guide). I took my issues to the forums and it was suggested that I begin play on Qalia, as it is the newest and most refined of the continents. Thestra will apparently be given a second pass to bring it's quality up to par with Qalia. So I tried it out.I made a Dark Elven Disciple, and wow. What a difference! Apparently the Sigil team had been paying close attention to the feedback given through the first two (and a half) phases of Beta and worked with that feedback to create Qalia. This second experience was leaps and bounds above the first, and any doubts that I had that Sigil listens to its player base were exercised. Qalia, in my opinion, is on par with most 2nd Generation MMOs…and they’re still collecting feedback to further refine the experience for Kojan (and update existing content). The quests were interesting and introduced me to the culture of elitism and fascism of the Dark Elves, and more importantly….had me DOING interesting things, including helping to destroy the efforts of a Rebel Army and, by using Diplomacy, overthrowing the then current Praefect of Hrathor Zhi (The Dark Elven starting city).All in all, the game is well on its way to being a fantastic gaming experience. There is so much that is planned that hasn't made it into Beta yet, but I still look forward to playing when I get home. I'm interested in where you guys will stop and what you will consider as complete. As a gamer who never played EQ and got my start in more "casual friendly" games, Vanguard is quickly becoming the game I've been looking to "settle down" with and is already a game I very much want to play. Keep up the good work!Thank you so much! Vengy

i was wondering why i never see ya around anymore venge, good write up and have fun bro!

• shayalynshayalyn Member Posts: 16

Thanks for reposting my beta account. ::::02::

With any luck, there should be more where that came from every week at Vanguard Ten Ton. Screenshots, too. (Again, no promises. With the NDA we have to run things by the devs first.) We're also doing a weekly "Ask the Devs" series.

.: Shayalyn :.
    PR & Community Relations
    Ten Ton Hammer

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    8 friends? :O

Im going to ask santa for a beta account.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Trubaduren
    8 friends? :O

Im going to ask santa for a beta account.

It is sad it seems like everyone is in but me.  I am one never to believe the hype as most games are always huge disspoaintments but almost all the beta leaks now seem to love the game now which is the exact opposite of what we heard in beta 2.  They must have made a lot of improvements in beta 3.  But I guess it makes sense when you consider beta 2 was only about testing the core mechanics not adding content.  I think we would all live to get that invite to see for ourselves.  Although I would be a bit nervous about playing Vanguard as there is always the possiblity it could be very bad.
  • BrentmeisterBrentmeister Member Posts: 79

Zippy, I agree with you on your comments. I have been burned to many times to fully buy into the hype of any game. But I always find myself hoping against hope that for once at least SOME of the hype is deserved and delivered upon by a developer. I am looking for a game to really sink roots into. I haven't had that since a certian company Switched Over an Entertaining science fiction game. Please, for all that is Holy, follow through!

Help Me Jesus! Help Me Tom Cruise! Help me Raph Koster! Use your sandbox witchcraft!

There's free love on the Freelove Freeway.

• will200will200 Member Posts: 70
    I played EQ prolly about a couple months after it came out. I played for 2 months until my parents stopped paying for it. (we were on dial-up and I was about 9)

Anyways, after playing WoW, dumping DnL and being extremely dissapointed with Archlord, I am very excited for Vanguard. I just wish I could get into beta! BCIT, (a tech school in BC), has set up a guild and are waiting very impatiently!

• GGordon27GGordon27 Member Posts: 42

I am extremely excited about this game. I have played many MMORPG's. I believe that Vanguard is the Next Gen MMO that is going to revolutionize the online gaming world and industry. I feel Vanguard SoH has surpassed all other MMORPG's out there (including WoW) and it will be the one to play!!!!!1111

A toast to Vanguard SoH and the developers of this game.

P.S. This game I feel is going to be my replacement of the lost SWG.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Nice information.  It helps us who aren't in beta to stay inspired. 
  • VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by baphamet

i was wondering why i never see ya around anymore venge, good write up and have fun bro!

Yeah, I've been busy.

• WheskyWhesky Member Posts: 125

im gonna print these later, just fast read now. And wow, bard,ranger and the necro stuff you just mentioned were awsome. Especially the ranger thing, you can be a fast shooter or a critt shooter, great stuff.

And bard composing songs, not sure how it works but it sounds really bardish!

And last, necro, customizing your pet and IF the armor actually shows (visually) on him its gonna create a great master and pet relationship (for me ).

/Whesky - I want more of these articles!

SWG, Eve, Planetside 2, EQN, Star Citizen

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Please remember to give these as little credence as the nda breaker ones. The game is after all still in beta and things will change. In addition whether you like the beta or didnt its all still just opinion correct?