Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes this game better than the rest?

2»

Comments

• ChronicRickChronicRick Member Posts: 569
    It's good to see an opinion that is more open-minded. (Hint Hint Ramadinimage)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Give me your lunch money.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

Grrr stop comparing this game to EQ its nothing like it, if it was I would be all over it.  IE transportation is very slow, you cant get a druid or wiz to port you and theres no transportation you can buy, only rent.  The 6 mob mods get old, the char mods get old, no customization... All of these things EQ has and thats why I dont like FF.

What I did like about FF is the crafting system, that was kinda cool.  There I said it.

"When you're in prison, dont be no ones bitch, its bad for you..."

The Offspring

-----------------Censored------------------

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Tymora you and I see alot alike on this in some respects and the exact opposite in others.  image

I too agree that FFXI is very similar to EQ in many aspects.  I personally loved EQ and played it for 4 very happy years.  FFXI started out similar for me since I enjoyed the similarities and especially tne new innovations like the auction house, the weapon skill chains, and the transportation options.

Unfortunately for me the game failed miserably in some areas that EQ excelled.  EQ had (even pre expansion) and still has one of the largest selection of monsters in a mmorpg and they were exceptionally well done for their time.  I found in FFXI fighting little pink beach balls called leech this and leech that, pugils, and goblins for 50+ levels to be mind numbingly boring. 

This coming from someone like myself who normally has no problem at all with level grinding.  In fact I enjoy the grind as long as its in a neat environment with fun monsters and nice people to play with).

• SamusicSamusic Member CommonPosts: 466

"IE transportation is very slow, you cant get a druid or wiz to port you..."

Yeah, you're right. Transportation is slow. Three minutes on the airship? Pfft. WAY too slow. You're also right about another thing. You can't get a druid or wiz to port you. Gotta get a white mage or a black mage to do that. Stupid mages.

ok... big deal so mages can port at some level, and it takes 3 minutes on an airship or 15 seconds in EQ hmmmm.  This game is only like EQ if you mean its an MMOG and the fact that there is player grouping.  The GUI, combat system, crafting system etc etc are totally different, you cant kite, you cant get someone to help you with a mob, if you truly need help with it by the time you disengage and they lock on youre dead.  Too many reused models in the game, people look the same, mobs look the same... Misti's comment "fighting little pink beach balls" is entirely accurate.  There is nothing menacing about fighting things that look like my daughters toys.  Its like an MMOG for kids.

Aside from that, everyone keeps saying "wait till level 30", or "you shouldnt say anything till lvl 30+"... thats just rediculous, who wants to have to play a game for 30 levels just so they can start having fun at lvl 30?  The combat system, GUI, and graphics dont miraculously change at level 30.

The Offspring

But where are the good points! You fail to mention the good aspects of the game.image

• SamusicSamusic Member CommonPosts: 466
    For a game you hate so much you sure like to spend a lot of time talking about it at various boards.

PS. the crafting in FFXI is off the hizzle fo' shizzle.

PPS.  When a decent MMOG comes out I wont be on the boards... Friggin Knight Online's server just crashed again grrrrrrr....

The Offspring

Originally posted by ramadin

PS. the crafting in FFXI is off the hizzle fo' shizzle.
    PPS.  When a decent MMOG comes out I wont be on the boards... Friggin Knight Online's server just crashed again grrrrrrr....

The Offspring

Whoa...what?! I thought you hated this!! image

You told me to mention a good point Rick, so I did.  Crafting in FFXI is good... ok?  yeah I said something is good in FFXI... even though it hurt unimaginably to say it, I said it.  Take a picture or copy and paste...

The Offspring

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

1) Nicely written Missions and Quests. The Scenematic cutscenes are revolutionary a standard that most won't be able to touch for awhile.

2) the graphics are outstanding, animation as well.  the sound effects and such all around the game are just amazing.  Also keep in mind that to really see all of this in it's full glory you will probably need a fairly high end system (i.e. P4 3ghz+) with a really top of the line video card(nvidia 9500, ATI 9800 XT).  The main reason i wouldn't bother with the PS2 version.  You will lose alot of the visual quality for sure.

3) very unique method of crafting, well developed player economy.  Auction houses and the like. I know some other games like SWG and Horizons use this.  but i'm sure it's a standard for all new games coming out.  If they don't, then they are  behind the power curve.

4) Very interesting combat gameplay.  With all the special skills which is very unique with all the animations and graphics involved.  but they have what they call Renkeis that the whole group can participate in.  And when taking advantage of this and using the weakness element of the creature  you are fighting plus the use of Mana Bursts with the Renkeis you are able to do crazy damage and take on much tougher critters than your average group. 

5) The interface is very intuative and is clean, it stays out of the way by default to allow you to enjoy more of the game instead of having to try and look through a cluttered interface that covers up 60% of the screen.  Which of course all or most of the funtions in the game are customizable. 

6) No need to have mutliple characters! some may complain that they have to pay a whole $1 more for each character.  Well in most games each character only has the option of being ONE Class/job type.  But in FFXI your one little character can be every job in the game and changing jobs is like changing a suit of clothes.  you enter your mog house, change to X job, grab your gear out of your Safe or Storage and presto, your whatever, whenever.

7) you can dual class to whatever combonation you want. 

8) Every person has their own House, No need to pay anything, it's there all the time, you can decorate it and all that.  Just can't invite friends over.. but truefully i could care less.  But within your humble abode you have a moogle that keeps you company.  You are able to tons of things like grow plants that sprout resources and special items in the game or just basic plant items also :)

9) if you aren't in your home town and need to get something out of your safe.. then no worries, you are able to talk to a guard near the residental area to have your moogle temporarly placed there and you have a rent-a-room.  which you don't actually have to pay rent.. but that's just what they call it. 

10) not to mention a ton of very unique quests later in the game.  of course you have your very basic stuff at the beginning.  but even some of thoes basic quests are very different than most other games to date.  and yet alot seem quite original. 

11) It's Final Fantasy!, gotta love Square-Enix.  They have a clue... of course this game applies to those that are really a FF fan.  It has alot of memorable stuff in-game and has the overall feal of a FF game.  Probably the biggest reason for such a lover or hate feeling amongst most.  i've met a few that enjoy the game even though this is their first FF game period. 

The tonberries and cactuars are in-game and nasty and just as funny as always.  *shivers* damn those needles...