Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hercules' anti Roma Victor Campaign

sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

A single crab in a bucket will climb out, several crabs in a bucket will keep pulling each other back down until they die.

Comments

• MMO_ManMMO_Man Member Posts: 666

Did you write that? If not then give us a link to the website. You have no credibility when it comes to posting "reviews" anymore after your last "review" thread.

Oh and I notice the stab at WOW in there, and the tired "RV is for "mature" gamers. Give us a break, you are the main reason I keep posting here, it's funny watching and wondering what you will come up with next. Are you sure you aren't one of the dev team?

I sleep with a pillow under my gun.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    BRAVO SEMP, BRAVO! 

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

only got to read it to realise sempiternal is reviewing it himself as its his classic speech .

Since hardly any reviewer wants to touch this game with a 10 foot pole and the ones that did actually got blasted for giving it a 8/100.I guess he has to make his own or watch the tumbleweed roll across the floor.

Originally posted by hercules

only got to read it to realise sempiternal is reviewing it himself as its his classic speech .
    Since hardly any reviewer wants to touch this game with a 10 foot pole and the ones that did actually got blasted for giving it a 8/100.I guess he has to make his own or watch the tumbleweed roll across the floor.

I agree with some of his "review" like the "the you either love it or hate it" part.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    Now that was just sad. It's like watching some cat that got hit by a car flail around trying to run.
  • AugirAugir Member Posts: 4

Sempiternal post show truth about Roma Victor in present days.

Don't take old reviews to your heart, if you have RV account try it again now, if you think about buying - its one time investment with no monthly fee.

Sempiternal ,

Originally posted by Augir

Don't take old reviews to your heart, if you have RV account try it again now, if you think about buying - its one time investment with no monthly fee.

Sempiternal ,

The game been out what under 3 months?So hardly doubt the review(considering only one magazine ever did a review on this game so far i assume thats the one you mean) can be considered old.

All the rest have been a preview mostly even dating over 1 year old.

So tell me why should anyone take sempiternal personal review which he has been proven to be totally biased over the game up to the point of distortion  even before the game came out over the review of a professional working for a top level pc gaming magazine.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Augir

Sempiternal ,

The game been out what under 3 months?So hardly doubt the review(considering only one magazine ever did a review on this game so far i assume thats the one you mean) can be considered old.

All the rest have been a preview mostly even dating over 1 year old.

So tell me why should anyone take sempiternal personal review which he has been proven to be totally biased over the game up to the point of distortion  even before the game came out over the review of a professional working for a top level pc gaming magazine.

Why? Because there is nothing in there to contradict, it is all hte truth. He said nothing to the affect of: The lag is fixed, the graphics are UBER, This game ROXORS!.

He merely explained that it is not quest based or DEV implimented content based. It is sand box. You are given an apple,  a hatchet, a hammer, and a knife and left to your own....devices (lol). Also the trades are that detailed...let me go into one shall I? NO!, i was about ot then realized how detailed it realy is

Thats why you should take it as proven, its not opinion or a review, its truth.
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

How about because I have spent hundreds of hours over a period of months reviewing this game, compared to your PC Zone reviewer that spent only a few hours over a single week.

In a game as complex and deep as RV, a few hours in not even enough time to scratch the surface, not even enough time to become accustomed to the interface.  A few hours is not enough time to fairly review any complex MMOG.

I have to admit that your review seems fair enough and covers the good and bad. The only thing I don't understand is why even mention World of Warcraft in a review of Roma Victor? If someone who likes WoW is considering RV and reads that it will probably turn them off, because it makes it sound like people who play WOW need not apply. I know there are a lot of annoying kids that play WoW and it's sickning to see all the stupid Chuck Norris jokes in the chat channels, but there are also a lot of mature adults of all ages who enjoy WoW.

Maybe I do make fun of this game a little too much but it is such a huge dissapointment to me and I don't really know what to play now. I'm waiting for NWN2, hopefully it will fill my needs for an addictive game MMO or not.

Originally posted by MMO_Man
    I have to admit that your review seems fair enough and covers the good and bad. The only thing I don't understand is why even mention World of Warcraft in a review of Roma Victor? If someone who likes WoW is considering RV and reads that it will probably turn them off, because it makes it sound like people who play WOW need not apply. I know there are a lot of annoying kids that play WoW and it's sickning to see all the stupid Chuck Norris jokes in the chat channels, but there are also a lot of mature adults of all ages who enjoy WoW.

Maybe I do make fun of this game a little too much but it is such a huge dissapointment to me and I don't really know what to play now. I'm waiting for NWN2, hopefully it will fill my needs for an addictive game MMO or not.

Because WoW is a game that does the opposite of Roma Victor and tries to please everyone or at least the largest portion of the population that it can, and as a result does not completely satisfy anyone.  It's like a summer blockbuster movie, enjoyable to watch, it makes lots of money and lots of people see it, but it's not quite an award winner or memorable.  WoW is not specialized, it's just good enough that the general population willl enjoy it, from young kids to the elderly; at least for the short-term.
  • BuZZKilgoreBuZZKilgore Member Posts: 525

Originally posted by sempiternal

Because WoW is a game that does the opposite of Roma Victor and tries to please everyone or at least the largest portion of the population that it can, and as a result does not completely satisfy anyone.  It's like a summer blockbuster movie, enjoyable to watch, it makes lots of money and lots of people see it, but it's not quite an award winner or memorable.  WoW is not specialized, it's just good enough that the general population willl enjoy it, from young kids to the elderly; at least for the short-term.

That's because people like to feel like they are better than other people just because they play a "niche" game even if that game sucks ass. They always use WoW because they are jelous of WoWs success. you may think you guys are elite because you can put up with the lag and the tedious bordom and the paperdoll looking combat but you're no better or no more hardcore than anyone else. I don't know who is the bigger elitist, Rv fanbois or Eve fanbois. Does it make you elite player feel good to think that people who play wow aren't good enough to play Rv? If not then stop comparing Rv to wow because rv will never be as polished or as playable as wow is. wow gets boring after a few months but at least you have fun in that few months of playing, Rv was boring from the start.

No,  that's wrong.  I enjoy playing good long-term multi-player games more than any other type.  For me, WoW is a good game, but only for the short-term.  The majority of players are familiar with WoW.  As such, it's helpful to contrast Roma Victor with WoW when describing the game.

• BennjimBennjim Member Posts: 146
    A fair and honest review from a long time player - you'll never get a job at PC Zone! 

Benny.......................................

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by tetsul
    Now that was just sad. It's like watching some cat that got hit by a car flail around trying to run.

i noticed sempiternal has on the general forum in RV site done a eve like "call to arms" for ppl to come push the ratings of this game on this site.

Intresting.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

i noticed sempiternal has on the general forum in RV site done a eve like "call to arms" for ppl to come push the ratings of this game on this site.
    Intresting.

As if it's not something that could be expected with any game. Besides no new rating votes have appeared anyway.

Originally posted by Bluefix

Intresting.

As if it's not something that could be expected with any game. Besides no new rating votes have appeared anyway.

Takes a few posts before you can rate a game.Just registering will not grant you access to rate.
  • BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

So in other words it doesn't matter, so why do you care?

Intresting.

That's what I thought too, but he pointed out that it's a very old thread from before the game even launched and he was telling them to vote for the "hype" meter not to score it. Someone just bumped the thread up to the top making it look new.

• TzitzimimeTzitzimime Member Posts: 15

I think it is a very well-written review sempiternal, but you have to understand that this reeks of bias. You obviously should have listed more than the lag among the problems. Combat may be very realistic and tactical, but we all know how limited it is and how stiff it looks. You compliment the game for its depth of skills and trades, and even link to the complete skill list itself... yet you fail to mention that half the skills in that list are missing ingame.

Otherwise, you did a fine job of pointing out why all us players love the game and remain dedicated to it. But you should be more honest about its faults and shortcomings, so this will read less like the advertisement on the back of a box and more like a dependable review. The fondness you have for the game is a little too thick in my opinion...

• TheVFTheVF Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by sempiternal

How about because I have spent hundreds of hours over a period of months reviewing this game, compared to your PC Zone reviewer that spent only a few hours over a single week.
    In a game as complex and deep as RV, a few hours in not even enough time to scratch the surface, not even enough time to become accustomed to the interface.  A few hours is not enough time to fairly review any complex MMOG.

I still want to see the PC Zone reviewers log in stats.  That was RedBedLam's damage-control claim that the reviewer was only playing the game for a few hours.  I want proof.  I want to see the user log.  I asked for that in the last thread, and I am still waiting.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Intresting.

That is why I have just signed up to mmorpg, I saw his message in the RV participant forum and came to take a look. Now I'm here I'll add my 2 cents worth.

This review of his is fairly truthful as far as it goes but is heavily biased by concentrating on the positives and barely mentioning the negatives.

The fact is that most of the game that was promised when I purchased the pre order last year has never been implemented. The first time I logged into beta at the end of last year, there was a pony standing next to me. I didn't realise at the time how priveleged I was. Most people will never have seen a pony, as they have never managed to get animals functioning correctly even 9 months later. Half the skills don't work, the world is still largely a barren wasteland devoid of all life except for grass. There are so many other things wrong, it would take a huge post to list them all.

I have been patient, I know they are a small developer with limited resources but at the end of the day, all I have seen in the past 10 months is lots of empty promises that things will get better "soon", whereas as far as I can see there has been virtually no progress all. I know the devs put in long hours and are trying their best but eventually, I suspect they will have to admit defeat and pull the rug.

Their grand plan has been to prove to the world that it doesn't take a multi million dollar budget and dozens of developer to make a sosphisticated mmorpg. Unfortunately, I fear they have proved that it does.

Intresting.

That's what I thought too, but he pointed out that it's a very old thread from before the game even launched and he was telling them to vote for the "hype" meter not to score it. Someone just bumped the thread up to the top making it look new.

actually it was a hype meter posted in june .Last post in june was made at 26th of june.

Then it was bumped by sempiternal himself on sept 19th.where he now posts

"If you have not voted lately:

Roma Victor Game Rating

Also vote for your top reason to play Roma Victor:

Top Reasons to Play Roma Victor"
      So yes he bumped it himself and is doing a new "call to arms" to save the ratings of the game which has now fallen below SWG.
      Roma Victor Game Rating

Also vote for your top reason to play Roma Victor:

Top Reasons to Play Roma Victor"
      So yes he bumped it himself and is doing a new "call to arms" to save the ratings of the game which has now fallen below SWG.

• grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58

AND he made a brand new thread in the participants forum which was an exact copy of the one in the general forums also telling everyone to go and bump the ratings up.

http://www.roma-victor.com/community/bb/viewtopic.php?p=206358#206358

So MMO_man is and always was quite correct to pull him up for that and Sempiturnal was wrong to say someone else bumped an old thread. Once again being exposed as a fraud.