Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO support sites...

Folks,

I am trying to gather some information about the habits of MMO players.  If anyone has any links or suggestions on how to find good data- let me know.  Meanwhile, give me some shout-outs about your personal habits/knowledge.

How much time is spent on the web doing MMO related activities vs. playing MMO games?  Add up all the time you spend on forums, reading articles, searching for hints and spoilers, etc... and compare to your ingame time.

How many commercial sites supporting the industry are there?  Obviously there is the BEST SITE IN THE WORLD mmorpg.com but there are a *ton* of others.  I want to know how many.  Even for a single game I get overwhelmed!  You know how many darn EQ sites there are?  eqatlas, everlore, eq.stratics, equilizer, and so on!!!

How many fan and guild sites are there?  This is another freaky one to think about!  How many personal sites (not commercial) have been built to support the games and community? 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help!

Later,

Twonk

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Twonk
    How much time is spent on the web doing MMO related activities vs. playing MMO games? Add up all the time you spend on forums, reading articles, searching for hints and spoilers, etc... and compare to your ingame time.

For every hour I play I probably spend an hour surfing related sites.

Originally posted by Twonk
    How many commercial sites supporting the industry are there? Obviously there is the BEST SITE IN THE WORLD mmorpg.com but there are a *ton* of others. I want to know how many. Even for a single game I get overwhelmed! You know how many darn EQ sites there are? eqatlas, everlore, eq.stratics, equilizer, and so on!!!
    How many fan and guild sites are there? This is another freaky one to think about! How many personal sites (not commercial) have been built to support the games and community?
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help!

Considering the breadth of your question, that's impossible to answer. Thousands upon thousands of sites for all MMOG games, and very likely hundreds of thousands for player/guild sites.

• TwonkTwonk Member Posts: 7

This maps to my estimates but I want to use this information in a document.  Its going to be kludgy and I am going to be forced to reference it as something vague like 'a recent independant study indicated'...  But don't want to just *make up* my numbers.  I thought that some perspective from all the smart folks registered here at THE WORLD'S GREATEST WEBSITE mmorpg.com might help!

Anyone else have a swing to take at this?

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/

On going project which surveys quite a few players fairly often on a large variety of topics. Hope that can be of help.