Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else a little sceptical?

First I want to say the game looks great, and it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.  But after watching the demo video and how things get implimented from the single player part to the MMO part, has me a little sceptical.  Seems like some of the things won't work in MMO that are part of the single player.

Comments

• jordy11jordy11 Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Kungfubar

First I want to say the game looks great, and it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.  But after watching the demo video and how things get implimented from the single player part to the MMO part, has me a little sceptical.  Seems like some of the things won't work in MMO that are part of the single player.

No you are the only one...

SORRY!
  • RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I have full confidence the game will kick all forms of ass.
  • RhadocRhadoc Member Posts: 40
    Im positive about this game.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Im skeptical but for a different reason.. Funcom has shown that it has the vision needed to make a great MMO with the right mix of complexity, Depth, Graphics, Dungeons, Content, PVP, ect like it did with AO.. However just like ever freaking MMO developer in the History of this genre, they have also shown that they can make horrible mistakes that will affect the way the game is played and will ultimately send thier playerbase running away in disgust. Funcom has done it before to Anarchy Online with that horrible Shadowlands expansion that almost decimated its playerbase, which in turn made Funcom make the game free.  And just as they done it before they will do it agian, ever MMO Developer todate has. The only question is that when will that point come in AOC history, will we be able to enjoy a few years of fun like we did in AO before the Devs destroyed what they made. Or will it come sooner in the games young life....

Only time will tell when it will come, but if history is any judge...It will come.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I am confident they will pull it off well.

There is of course the ever looming possibility of a poorly thought out expansion like Tinybina mentioned, but I feel that there is a good chance FC had learned that particular lesson.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

I am sceptical.

I afraid that AoC is going to be another level-class holy trinity game - offering nothing new to genre. Hopefully their new combat system is going to be better than I fear.  

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545
    I'm always afraid of that game destroying expansion. But that's not going to keep me away from playing MMOs. If it did just once, I would have to throw in my hat and never play another MMO.

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I think it's always good form to be as sceptical as possible with any game that has not be released yet. It's really just good sense.

Sure, I think most fans are hoping that their going to pull it off and I think there's a good chance they will but there's been good projects that have gone down the tubes or done a complete 180 on their promised features in the end.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that most of the time developers compromise at the espense of their fans by the time the game comes to distribution.

So be sceptical, it's healthy and it's even good for the game, if the dev's of the game realize that players aren't just falling head over heals and jumping at every straw their pushed by the production team they'll continue to work hard to gain that trust and thus the game in the end will be closer to what they preached from the start.

Originally posted by shae

I think it's always good form to be as sceptical as possible with any game that has not be released yet. It's really just good sense.
    Sure, I think most fans are hoping that their going to pull it off and I think there's a good chance they will but there's been good projects that have gone down the tubes or done a complete 180 on their promised features in the end.
    Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that most of the time developers compromise at the espense of their fans by the time the game comes to distribution.
    So be sceptical, it's healthy and it's even good for the game, if the dev's of the game realize that players aren't just falling head over heals and jumping at every straw their pushed by the production team they'll continue to work hard to gain that trust and thus the game in the end will be closer to what they preached from the start.

I agree 100%

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Im also skeptical about every single MMO ever since I almost fell into D&L trap... From now on, I dont pre-order unless I play beta and like it, or I get solid facts from the MMO community in a form of reviews backed up by solid facts. No more will I trust screenshots or movie clips since they only show how pretty the game look, but not how it behaves.
    That being said, I believe Conan has a strong chance to become a smashing hit. I hope they dont farlanize this project.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951
    This game will work.  *Crosses finger*

• KungfubarKungfubar Member Posts: 34
    Now don't get me wrong from my original post, I am looking forward to this game.  And I believe it's the game to watch for Q1, Q2 of 2007.  I was wondering if anyone had a link for video that made me sceptical.  The video has one of the designers talking about the game.  He's actually playing a little of the game, running around and talking about it to a group of people.  It's not one of the trailers that I know of.
  • KungfubarKungfubar Member Posts: 34

Okay, for those that haven't seen it, here is the devolper's video from May.  This is what's made me a little sceptical.  It is a very pretty game, with excellent customization.  The way they are doing quests is unique.  Also the combat system looks good. I stilll hope they can pull it off

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/743/743392/vids_1.html

Originally posted by jimmyman99
    Im also skeptical about every single MMO ever since I almost fell into D&L trap... From now on, I dont pre-order unless I play beta and like it, or I get solid facts from the MMO community in a form of reviews backed up by solid facts. No more will I trust screenshots or movie clips since they only show how pretty the game look, but not how it behaves.
    That being said, I believe Conan has a strong chance to become a smashing hit. I hope they dont farlanize this project.

"Farlanize" Good one Jim!    Farlanize should be a new slang for fubar,bs,fu and whatever else one might think of when they get their twig caught in their fly... " I've been farlanized!" or "Don't buy stock in that company, you'll get farlanized!" "I drank a tub of burbon last night and farlanized all over my girlfriend this morning."

Sorry for getting off topic...

Okay, for those that haven't seen it, here is the devolper's video from May.  This is what's made me a little sceptical.  It is a very pretty game, with excellent customization.  The way they are doing quests is unique.  Also the combat system looks good. I stilll hope they can pull it off

Wait now. Before I download all these videos...which one is it specifically?

Nevermind, it must obviously be the commentary. Thanks

Okay. I had not seen that one yet. Could you please specify on what made you skeptical. I saw some minor bugs and grahical qualities that need work but nothing to make me more skeptical than I normally am for a new game. Just things that they can refine before the release.

• Originally posted by Resetgun

I am sceptical.
    I afraid that AoC is going to be another level-class holy trinity game - offering nothing new to genre. Hopefully their new combat system is going to be better than I fear.  

This is my fear and the inevitable raidng crap that follows, but I think their solo gameplay type stuff is fairly solid.  I solo for about the equivalent time in most MMOs to get my bearing anyway and I think a trend away from purely auto attack is a good thing.

Hopefully they have some sort of way to prevent zone hopping.
  • Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

I thought the movie was pretty neat.  I posted this movie before.  :)

I can't wait for them to get DX10 working and all the bugs worked out.  It's going to be awesome.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    This game has level based combat, therefore it will have either heavily restricted PvP (only in certain areas and only if level difference is not too great) or there will be never ending cycle of 'nerf this, nerf that', 'waaah! high lvls are EWIL!'.
    Either way, PvP will SUCK HARD!
    If only had they used skill based system... sigh.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by busdriver
    This game has level based combat, therefore it will have either heavily restricted PvP (only in certain areas and only if level difference is not too great) or there will be never ending cycle of 'nerf this, nerf that', 'waaah! high lvls are EWIL!'.
    Either way, PvP will SUCK HARD!
    If only had they used skill based system... sigh.

Good don't play it. See ya!!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• daadamodaadamo Member UncommonPosts: 135

I agree, if you already have such a negative mindset and the game isn't even out yet, then don't bother to even try it.

I for one am very upbeat and excited to give this game a go, I think it's going to be great.

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

i can understand truly where ppl are coming from.

i played planetside from beta. was vrilliant and we got about 2 years out of it before slowly slowly, ppl started to ask for new content. without even askin if the ideas were good, SOE produced a disgusting element to the game, Battle Frame Robotics.

the population of the game dropped badly, they realised there mistake and nerfed them but it was to late and it hasnt recovered.

AoC looks and sounds amazin. it wont please everyone but then again, what game does? not even WoW does, it has its flaws.

as long as the devs LISTEN to their fanbase, theyl be fine.

alot of you are goin on about PvP. PvP is good if controlled. it cant be free for all.

Guild wars would of been good if they had PvP in the open world. the idea of being safe in castles and villages is a good idea but it hink the moment you step out into the wild, it should be free for all but restrictions to stop higher lvl players ownin lower lvls. like -50% health or something like that.

this game will kick ass.

• CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

Anyone else a little sceptical?

No?!

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Actually, after now viewing that video from May, my scepticism has disappeared, and I am not sure what part or parts made you "a little sceptical."

To my eyes, this game is looking FAR better than I ever thought it would.  Cities, combat, mounts, animations, style, color, atmosphere, the whole nine yards.

I think it is coming together very well indeed.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by Kasp3r

as long as the devs LISTEN to their fanbase, theyl be fine.

Heh, except for the nerfing cries, those pretty much never are good for the game.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

This discussion has been closed.