Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give me three good reasons I should play Anarchy Online

ZFOOLZFOOL Member Posts: 38

Give me three good reasons I should play Anarchy Online

well that about covers it

><~ZGAMEINGFOOL~><

Comments

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

1. its free if you dont want the expansios.

2. It is vast and offers many proffessions and locations to explore.

3. the community is usually pretty helpful.

Did I mention that its free?

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    I have nothing against AO, but darn if they don't pester you to death with spam every other day with "OMG come back you can now play x expansion for free".    

That is not a good reason to play it but something you should be aware of when you sign up, you will get spammed  be sure to opt out at the start if you can.   I have tried and tried to opt out afterwards and still get a new email from them at least a couple times a week. 

Funcom must be pretty desprate to spam that much.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• BafucinBafucin Member Posts: 276

1. Free without expansion. And thats not bad. AO is fun even without the expansions.

2. Theres a lot of humor in AO. Not even WoW can do better.

3. Fun professions.

4. A lot of things to get and do.

5. Most of the new mmo on the market have taken a lot from AO. In other words not bad game.

6. Characters look is much better in AO then in mighty WoW.

7. Huge world.

8. A lot of monsters.

9. A lot of items, weapons, gear etc.

10. A lot of fun.

But then again, if your soloing it might become boring. Make friends and enjoy the game.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by neuronomad
    I have nothing against AO, but darn if they don't pester you to death with spam every other day with "OMG come back you can now play x expansion for free".    

That is not a good reason to play it but something you should be aware of when you sign up, you will get spammed  be sure to opt out at the start if you can.   I have tried and tried to opt out afterwards and still get a new email from them at least a couple times a week. 

Funcom must be pretty desprate to spam that much.

I have only once heard of that issue, and that was in a case where someone was sending the reply emails to the wrong place. If nothing else, just tell your mail browser to ignore mail coming from them.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• gamer89889gamer89889 Member Posts: 3

AO has just about has everything for any kind of playstyle. 

PVE - There are instanced missions you can do by yourself without anyone interupting, or the space of rubi-ka alone can allow you to happily kill by yourself or in small groups relatively away from other people.  Or you can go to shadowlands and have lots of people crawling all over the place where you can find a team of people with ease.

RP - AO has a nice player driven role play community that is active and there are events happening everyday.

PVP - Rubi-ka is littered with tower sites, and if you attack one you are pretty much assured a fight.  Also with lost eden there will be orbital stations that you can pvp on and call down air strikes on towers.

• andrzejjjjkkkllandrzejjjjkkkll Member Posts: 5
    This game is boring.

Better is Entropia Universe.

I dont know what people se in this game boring and must pay for do nothing.
  • MularMular Member Posts: 1
    AO was a great game when it came out, I just can't get around the graphics now. They look so bad I can't stand to play the game. If you can get around that then you should love this game.
  • GnomigGnomig Member Posts: 48
    Erm... I cannot think of ONE good reason to play it... it was a good game when released, but now its just outdated. Wait for a GOOD mmorpg... most of the ones that are out now suck big time ^^)
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by davidt
    This game is boring.
    Better is Entropia Universe.
    I dont know what people se in this game boring and must pay for do nothing.image
    Looks like you dont know much. Anarchy Online is free (with expansions its montly cost), the game you are promoting in several posts (Entropia Universe) is not free but essentially a fancy gambling program. (Hey look its free just deposit this much money & you will earn the rest....yah....).

I have never seen any real gamer describe Entropia Universe as fun, I bet 99% (pun intended) of all Entropia Universe-players are trying to make money & not play for fun.

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    well its a sci fi game that is futureistic

it has many options like implants clothes and such for your char

it has a massive enviroment
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    AO was a great game, just like EQ and UO were.  Sadly, their days have passed and they just don't cut it very well anymore when compaired to other games.  However, I found that the free aspects of AO were by far the best free mmorpg playing around.  So if you want an excellent free game and can get past the graphics and old UI, then play AO.  Once you start paying to play, AO just doesn't measure up.
  • CrysalisCrysalis Member Posts: 43
    K I'm still very much impressed that this is still popular and people still discuss why this game is good. Cause this is games play style and theme are outstanding!  For anyone who has ever had a thought of playing this game should give it a go. But as they do just keep in mind that the graphics are not that spectacular, but the concepts and variety in play styles along with the story just totally make this game. Just do it!

• DelfolioDelfolio Member Posts: 21
    Dude, forget about the "free" part.  Think of it like this...... you actually have to have an active brain to play this game... if that don't stimulate you to even try for a day, go to a button mashing game and drool till your mom calls you for dinner.  I have actaully had to spend a day or two writing down how I want my implants to be done.  If that doesn't sound good, just have another player whip some up for you... saves time. 
  • silvrthornsilvrthorn Member Posts: 11
    when i tried to download it it downloaded a virus so im staying away from this game
  • Jaga-ArcaneJaga-Arcane Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by silvrthorn

when i tried to download it it downloaded a virus so im staying away from this game
    Two reasons that might have happened:

1)  You downloaded from an unofficial site.  That's a bad thing to do, always download from the official AO website.

2)  You were already infected prior and didn't know it until you installed a new program like AO.  Again, not Funcom's fault.

If the installation and patch packages were infected, it would be all over the AO forums, which it is not.  That leads me to believe you are incorrect about it being infected, and should withdraw your statement.
  • silvrthornsilvrthorn Member Posts: 11

well it happened to m8 aswell.

it dnt look that gr8 anyway and im not lieing by the way about virus why would i lol

• mikkelmmikkelm Member Posts: 4

One very compelling feature is that you'll get e-mails with "limited time offers" for the same upgrades at the same price about once a month.

Some examples:

11-04-05

Your account megl can now be upgraded to everything Anarchy
    Online has to offer for $9,95!

Funcom would like to offer you, as a free player, a special opportunity to
    upgrade your account with all the expansions available for Anarchy Online!

For 14 days starting today Monday 11th of April and until Monday 25th of
    April you can take part of this special deal. In addition, we give you the
    first 30 days of play for free! Save up to $53,90 !!

--

26-04-05

Your account megl can still be upgraded to everything Anarchy

Due to the success of this offer, Funcom has decided to extend the original
    campaign period with an extra week.

You can now take part of this special deal until Monday 2nd of May. In
    addition, we also still offer you the first 30 days of play for free!
    You can save up to $53,90 !!

--

04-07-05

Your account megl  can now be upgraded to everything Anarchy

Funcom would like to offer you, as a free player, a special opportunity to
    upgrade your account with all the expansions available for Anarchy Online!

For the month of July, starting today Monday 4th of July and until Monday
    the 1th of August you can take part of this summer special. You save $39,95
    on our award winning expansions.

--

22-07-05

Dear citizen of Rubi-Ka,

Your account megl can still be upgraded to everything Anarchy

Funcom would like to remind you of the ongoing summer offer. As a free
    player, you have a special opportunity to upgrade your account with all the
    expansions available for Anarchy Online!

--

15-11-05

Dear citizen of Rubi-Ka,

Your account megl can now be upgraded to everything Anarchy Online
    has to offer for just $9.95!

Due to popular demand we are bringing back this great value offer! As a free
    player use this special opportunity to upgrade your account with all the
    expansions available for Anarchy Online!

Starting Tuesday the 15th of November and until Thursday the 15th of
    December you can take part of this special offer. You save $39.95 on our
    award winning expansions.

--

02-03-06

Dear citizen of Rubi-Ka,

Online has to offer for just $9.95!

This offer is valid from Thursday the 2nd of March and until Thursday the
    23rd of March. You can save up to $39.95 on our award winning expansions.

--

06-04-06

Dear citizen of Rubi-Ka,

This offer is valid from Thursday the 6th of April and until Thursday the
    27th of April. You can save up to $39.95 on our award winning expansions.

--

19-05-06

Dear citizen of Rubi-Ka,

This offer is valid  until from Friday the 19th of May and until Thursday
    the 1st of June 2006. You can save up to $39.95 on our award winning
    expansions.

.. yeah, you get the idea.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

A.) Edit your post right now Mikkelm, get your account name the hell off these boards you just gave a potential account thief half of the information he needs.

B.) You can easily ask FC to stop those emails.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Acees88Acees88 Member Posts: 132
    there are plenty

• MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I saw several ads for AO, and I'm interested in it. I'm in the process of retiring (may be temporarily) from another MMORPG - Eve Online (great game btw). I just don't have enough time to dedicate to a game, and Eve demands a lot of time and effort. So, I'd like a game with some content for casual players, mostly solo (again time issue), if it's free, it's a bonus; after all, I don't like to pay a monthly fee to only log in for a short time here and there. Is AO such a game or it's something completely different? I tried GW btw and didn't like it because it was lacking the community factor; it was like ghost town filled with bots (my impression anyway). I think I have to lower my standards somewhat on the community, because myself, I can't be a part of active community, more of laid back casual play style.
  • LittleBlueLittleBlue Member Posts: 33

1. its free if you dont want the expansios.

2. It is vast and offers many proffessions and locations to explore.

3. the community is usually pretty helpful.

100% TREU!!

• MadxtnsionMadxtnsion Member Posts: 1

• metamermetamer Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Moghidin

I saw several ads for AO, and I'm interested in it. I'm in the process of retiring (may be temporarily) from another MMORPG - Eve Online (great game btw). I just don't have enough time to dedicate to a game, and Eve demands a lot of time and effort. So, I'd like a game with some content for casual players, mostly solo (again time issue), if it's free, it's a bonus; after all, I don't like to pay a monthly fee to only log in for a short time here and there. Is AO such a game or it's something completely different? I tried GW btw and didn't like it because it was lacking the community factor; it was like ghost town filled with bots (my impression anyway). I think I have to lower my standards somewhat on the community, because myself, I can't be a part of active community, more of laid back casual play style.
    I'd say that Anarchy Online is, for a good chunk of the game, very amenable to a "laid back casual play style."  For the free (without expansions) game, even moreso.  Basically, before level 200 (which is the maximum for fr00b players anyway), most of the content that can be accessed does not require a large time investment.  However, if you ever do decide to upgrade to the expansions, particularly the Shadowlands, getting anywhere does take longer amounts of playtime.

I've found the Anarchy Online community to be one of the best out there and one that has kept me playing this game.  However, it is an old game and the graphics are beginning to show their age.  Though recently, the developers have done some tweaks to the graphics which help.  But, compared to EVE, well...it just doesn't compete.
  • MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Yes, I know, that Eve is and probably will be THE game for me. But I just got a bit burned out and I can't dedicate a lot of time to a MMORPG atm due to studies. I guess my standards for a game are high. I tried Everquest I and it lasted for 1 week; Everquest II was launched only once, although I had 1 month of gameplay; GW, well, I can login whenever I want, but I didn't like the game.

As for the graphics, it doesn't bother me that much. I think that if game is good, graphics are secondary. My graphics card is outdated too - 4600Ti, I bought it 6-7 years ago I think when it was one of the best available, and it worked fine until recently, when games like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Oblivion started to come out.