Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if *this* was the new SW MMORPG?

Video: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/video_player.php?id=JXEwnmT45bsMuT_Y

Article: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/721/721178p1.html

Now, I realize that it is in the xbox360 department of gamespot, ign, etc.  But the buzzword lately is cross platform, and everyone looks to WoW and sees the money it generates.  If someone successfully creates an interesting and compelling MMORPG that can be used on xbox360 and PS3 AND a PC, they've got a money machine at their fingertips.  Common sense says "If it will work on xbox360 and PS3 platform specs (which are lower than my 1 year old gaming rig), it will work on a PC", the biggest hurdle seeming to be the development cost of the client software that allows PCs, xbox360s, and PS3s to access the same server.

The whole thing smells of KOTOR 3, or KOTOR MMORPG.  Which, honestly, wouldnt appeal to me long term, as I have no real desire to be Jedi #7481763489761324 in an online game. 

BUT.

IF, and this is a big IF, they realize the market of people that want to be simBeru and Uncle Owen the moisture farmer and implement it accordingly, they have a WoW killer on their hands.

Yes, Jedi will be the pinnacle of the game, as well they should be.  But make them rare, and hard to obtain, and hard to keep - this is the carrot that keeps the achievers in the game for months and months.  Explain it from the get go that Jedi will be rare, Jedi will be hard, Jedi will *NOT* be fun, that getting to BE a Jedi would take a year miniumum, and you're set.  And don't make the mistake of marginalizing the Jedi, and making it where everyone has one.  Everyone has the opportunity to BE a Jedi, but they should be prepared to pay their dues.

But what IF that was the new SW MMORPG due out about the same time as the TV show?

After all, Nancy McIntyre DID say "in 2007/2008 for SWG2" or something along those lines.  You can read between HER lines as much or little as you want. Just a thought.  Take it for what it is, nothing more.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

sounds good, I kinda think SOE messed up the timeline. The timeline the tv series will be set in is perfect for an MMO. As for Jedi being hard, Cool beans, the journey was what makes it fun. I think a revolving timeline is good and I think if everyone has a path they follow through the game which is different for everyone than you got a winner. I think tomorrow in a game should look different from today, but I think it should be repeatable.It would be fun for most. Maybe SOE did a test run of this concept for LEC with in Restus.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340
    Oh, look dear, an "I Win" game.   No, no sweatheart, put that back on the shelf, you haven't finished your Star Wars Galaxies yet.   

• maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778

There was already an article published about this. This isnt a game per say as much as it is a show piece of a new "everything is destroyable" engine that will incorporate the new physics card that is currently being sold. Yes this can be the back bone of a new gaming system but it is NOT a currently devolped game.

I can dig for the article if needed, but I hate digging.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    I think most people know that already. But the concepts are sound for a next gen MMO.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778
    I dont agree it looks pure single player to me.. but here is to wishful thinking. The OP was right about one thing... this is what the next KOTOR will be like more than likely, but KOTOR is single player..
  • mpedersenmpedersen Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by maxanto
    I dont agree it looks pure single player to me.. but here is to wishful thinking. The OP was right about one thing... this is what the next KOTOR will be like more than likely, but KOTOR is single player..

Warcraft (the series) wasn't an MMO until "World of Warcraft".