Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC on XP vs. Vista

Since I suppose the game will have a lot of new features that are not available in WinXP (DX10 being one of them), what kind of things will be different in the game if you do play it on Windows XP compared to Vista?

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    From what I gather, it will be a simple reduction in performance

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Also it will cut down on the overall neatness of the graphics.  Extra viewing distance, etc.

Originally posted by Vertex1980

Originally posted by Aelfinn
    Also it will cut down on the overall neatness of the graphics.  Extra viewing distance, etc.

don't know about you, but I count graphics in with performance

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Devil21Devil21 Member Posts: 74
    so basically your saying, besides an extra pretty game, Windows Vista will not have much to offer for this game?

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

As far as Ive heard, Vista is a big performance-muncher. Meaning you will need a big computer to work magic on it. So if u have an average computer ... fuhget 'bout itt.

Im still heavily inclined to believe that your GFX will make much more difference on performance then Vista compared to XP. But thats just my opinion, not backed up by any facts, tests or notarized statements... thats why I already bought a nice juicy GeForce 7950 GX2.... too bad my new A8N-E32SLI Deluxe doesnt seem to support those bad boys in SLI mode... AWWWWW, i wanted to spend another 700$ to get a 2nd card

Edit: feexing mynor grammer mistooks.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

Originally posted by Devil21
    so basically your saying, besides an extra pretty game, Windows Vista will not have much to offer for this game?

Your more likely to have graphical glitches, and lag without it. Additionally, there may be some bugs XP users are more likely to have. But, we dont know for certain, i'd hold off on buying Vista till we know, if AoC is your only reason to do so.

Hemingway

• RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Yeah I don't think we are at the point yet where you can decide to get Vista just for AoC. If you plan on using Vista for other things then it might be good to pickup, but we just aren't to the point yet where you should drop at least $150 for Vista just for one PC game. Just my opinion though.
  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Optimising for Vista seems pretty risky to me.

The recommended spec for windows vista is still pretty high, and when this game is due to launch (Q2 2007), not many people will have vista capable machines.

Will we be able to run this game properly on an average year old gaming PC?

One of the reasons WoW succeeded was the relatively low system requirements compared to its rivals.

Originally posted by Antipathy
    Optimising for Vista seems pretty risky to me.

The recommended spec for windows vista is still pretty high, and when this game is due to launch (Q2 2007), not many people will have vista capable machines.

Will we be able to run this game properly on an average year old gaming PC?

One of the reasons WoW succeeded was the relatively low system requirements compared to its rivals.

a 2006ish tech gaming PC? almost certainly, although, that of course depends on precisely what your computer is packing.

Hemingway

• ObZoneObZone Member Posts: 1
    Have there been any dev comments on this?  I'm psyched for this game, but I am not psyched to buy a new computer to run a new operating system on to play it.

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

AoC would be my sole reason for buying Vista.

And I'd use it on a Pentium Imac.

• TheAstaldoTheAstaldo Member Posts: 14
    Ill play AoC on  WinXP, because it will be released in Q2 next year and i dont think that Vista is that good at this time.
    Another reason is that there are no Graphic cards who can handle DX10 yet.

• Yes there is, Nvidia Geforce 8800 Series is the first.

• TheAstaldoTheAstaldo Member Posts: 14
    Yes, this card could! handle the graphic. But DX10 isnt yet released.
  • tallhall33tallhall33 Member Posts: 10

Yeah if you want to run AoC on max all settings your going to need Visita.  Along with a ~$3000 computer.  Right now I can run Visita alright but with all the background applications in the OS it bogs down your computer while you play games.  I know I won't be "upgrading (if you call it that)" for ~6-12 months atleast.  Plus the DX10 cards aren't going to be cheap for awhile.

Here are my computer specs, I dont have a slow computer :-P

Manufacturer:
    custom

Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory:
    2046MB RAM

Hard Drive:
    37 GB Raptor / 250 GB Data Drive

Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

Monitor:
    Viewsonic 20.1"

Sound Card:
    SoundMAX HD Audio O

Speakers/Headphones:
    Headphones / 5.1 Surround Sound

Keyboard:
    G15

Mouse:
    G5

Mouse Surface:
    QcK Heavy Steelpad

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

• haz-fahaz-fa Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by jimmyman99

As far as Ive heard, Vista is a big performance-muncher. Meaning you will need a big computer to work magic on it. So if u have an average computer ... fuhget 'bout itt.

Im still heavily inclined to believe that your GFX will make much more difference on performance then Vista compared to XP. But thats just my opinion, not backed up by any facts, tests or notarized statements... thats why I already bought a nice juicy GeForce 7950 GX2.... too bad my new A8N-E32SLI Deluxe doesnt seem to support those bad boys in SLI mode... AWWWWW, i wanted to spend another 700$ to get a 2nd card

Edit: feexing mynor grammer mistooks.

how stupid r u? u want another overpriced directx9 card not to mention that no games support than card as a dual graphic card and only run 1 of the 2 graphic cores, vista is directx 10 you ave a directx9 card sell it n get a 8800 gtx/s
  • FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417
    Gameplay will be the same it's just the actual GFX will look more detailed/fuller on vista because of DX10, more photo realistic if you could call it. Best thing to do is look for some info on dx10 vs dx9 so you get a better idea.

As to those getting new dx9 cards I wouldn't bother save your cash and get a new dx10 card in say 6 months time unless your eager then you have a choice of the 8800gtx's (I have 2 in SLI and they are amazing for dx9 games no dx10 games out so can't comment on that) or you can wait for the ATI R600 which on paper seems like it's going to be a complete monster of a card released around the end of January/Feburary along with vista.

Vista is not a power hunger monster as some people who clearly have not used it or have been trying to run it on PC's which would struggle to play pong. I have run vista without any problems with the Aero desktop running full whack and able to play all of my dx9 based games on them with out any problems or problems with the performance.

AMD 3500 64bit socket 939

2gig PC3200 RAM (Geil Value)

ATI x850xt 256mb

2x250gb Segate SATA2 drives in Raid

1x80gb WD caviar

(Windows vista/XP in dual boot)

This machine (above) can run vista with no probs at all however you would need a dx10 card to take advantage of the direct x10 games.  There have been reports that you need a processor running at a minimum of 3ghz to avoid the cpu bottle neck running the 8800's full whack (ATI R600 may have similar probs)  this may become more apparent when the dx10 games come out and and will be harder on the GFX cards.  Bare in mind this has been reported on dx9 based games and dx10  (and vista) is  supposed to be optimised so that it takes the stress off the cpu and bumps it on the gpu directly so you could be absolutley fine provided you have a spanking new dx10 card next june.

AMD X2 4400 socket 939

2 gig corsair value select ram PC3200

ATI x1800xt 512mb

2x250gb segate SATA2 in raid

2x150gb WD raptors in raid

2x350gb segate SATA2 in raid

(this doubles up as my linux server that I used for development work I used windows vista RTM/ubuntu linux in a dual boot config)

my new machine which I have built specifically for Vista and DX10 and general design work.

QX6700 core 2 duo Quad core (overclocked from 2.66GHz to 3.9GHZ)

2xEVGA 8800GTX in SLI

4 gb Corsair Dominator ram

4x150gb WD raptor drives (drives used to encode videos)

1x350gb segate (games)

1x150gb Segate Cheetah (Operating system drive)

(Even I know this is overkill)

As you can see the first two systems are what I would call systems which most gamers would have (even I was using them up until a week ago) and are way more then capable of running vista with the eye candy on,  you could even possibly dip lower in specs then that, as I have said I have had no problems at all running vista and gaming on those systems. The last system which I have currently built is overkill for vista but since I do alot of design work and video decoding and encoding it suits my needs and will last for at least 2/3 years before I need to upgrade any of the components.

Remember people recommend high spec machines for vista by assuming you want the aero desktop running however I always run my gaming rigs with eye candy off in xp and most probably will in vista. With out the areo desktop running vista basically looks like xp in performance mode and if your a gamer you only need vista for dx10. Aero desktop is the bloated bit of vista that isn't needed for the OS to function and in my opinion runs better with out it.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• ChraneChrane Member Posts: 23

Even when this game is released, I'm sure most users in the free world will still be using Windows XP.  Vista will certainly be a big chunk of the market but XP is going to be around for some time.  This game will look great on a XP machine but as others have stated, better on Vista.

No biggie.