Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been teeter-tottering between WoW and EQ2

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

After I have been analyzing the screen shots (well, not analyzing.....that sounds like I dont have a life), but after looking at the two different screen shots I am begginning to like EQ2 more in terms of graphics

However

That was my mistake with Star Wars Galaxies...I bought it for it's graphics and I ended up hating that mmorpg.

Does anyone know is Raph Koster has any hand in EQ2 or has any link to the game's development?  If not, I may get EQ2 over WoW.

If Raph has anything to do with EQ2, I  may choose WoW.

Does anyone know where Mr. Koster is lurking these days?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• SutexSutex Member UncommonPosts: 150

One will be sure out before the other. WoW most likely. So why not play that one, try it then play EQ when it comes out, or wait for info from leaky sources when Beta goes live for either game.

I think both are worth atleast trying.

• KeeganKeegan Member Posts: 53

Don't hold me to this... But i remember reading some where that Ralph got a promotion but doesn't have his fingers in EQ2 but then again i could have misread.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

If your picking mmorpg's by the looks of their screenshots then by all means get EQ2.

But if you want a fun mmorpg with lots of content then get WoW.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

Originally posted by rathma

If your picking mmorpg's by the looks of their screenshots then by all means get EQ2.
     But if you want a fun mmorpg with lots of content then get WoW.

well that was a slightly bais opinion if you ask me becuase i think Eq2 will have lots of content and personaly i don't like WoW becuase i dislike blizzard and all there games.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Keegan

well that was a slightly bais opinion if you ask me becuase i think Eq2 will have lots of content and personaly i don't like WoW becuase i dislike blizzard and all there games.

That was equally as biased.

Personally, I never have been let down by Blizzard.  SOE, on the other hand is another story.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by En1Gma

Originally posted by Keegan

That was equally as biased.

Personally, I never have been let down by Blizzard.  SOE, on the other hand is another story.

Yea it was biased, i've just never liked blizzard but if you like WoW have a great time becuase i believe with out a doubt both games will both do well.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    hehe, thats the thing though..I dont know which one and I really dont have the resources to buy both ...being married with kids makes one guilty when buying 2 $50 games lol

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
    We have been going over this now for many, many threads...so here we go again.  WoW and EQ2 are very different games....I think they are very hard to compare..Yes, I have my personal opinions about each of them and tend to lean towards one, but this topic is starting to get on my nerves.  WoW went a totally different direction with their game than EQ2 did...in both graphics and storyline, along with game features.  Blizzard is a very good company and has been very reliable in the past, so I have very few doubts about WoW being a quality game.  However, SOE is not the only one responsible for the so-called "failure" of SWG, which is why a lot of people are not going for EQ2.  Lucasarts was teamed up with SOE which created a totally different atmosphere in creating the game.  Instead of SOE making all of the decisions, they had to share with Lucasarts.  Therefore, I find it hard to blame SOE because it is not all their fault.  After all, SWG is still selling, not that I would buy it.....So, finally....let's please put this topic to rest.

• KuritsuKuritsu Member Posts: 5

Wait for the reviews of both games before deciding. But for my worthless 2 cents...

• Blizzard never released a non-successful game. SOE never released a successful game (EQ was created by Verant, which was later bought out by SOE and the original developers left SOE since). Blizzard never released a MMORPG: Sony has.
    • SOE is much higher up on the learning curve, since they released expansion packs, Planetside, and Star Wars Galaxies. So they have that in their favor. Unfortunately SWG never utilized that learning curve, so they made mistakes as if they never spoke to the developers of EQ's expansion packs.
    • EQ2 will probably have an older customer base. Mostly people who played EQ. WoW looks like it will have a younger customer base...just like SWG.
    • As you mentioned, SWG really focused on graphics primarily with everything seeming secondary. From the E3 demo and screenshots, EQ2 is focusing on the same. This doesn't mean that they aren't focusing on the mechanics, just they don't seem to stress them as much as they stress the polygon counts.
    • In terms of graphics, they took different approaches: EQ2 looks like you are going to need a 2.4GHz+ PC to run it, while WoW's Beta set the minimum requirements at 800 MHz. I am not sure how many people are in each category, but WoW seems to have a larger pool of potential players from their lower system requirements. Although this can backfire if people view less polygons as meaning a less interesting game.

This is going to be like summer blockbuster movies, where the first one released will capture the larger audience *if* it lives up to the hype. If it doesn't people will move onto the second one once it is released. So both WoW and EQ2 should not rush their release, as they will need a loyal customer base to help them fight off the competitor. I don't think the market is large enough yet to make them both more successful then EQ (400,000+ active subscibers). So only one will will be deemed the new king of the MMORPG category. There is a lot at stake for both companies here. The customers should benefit greatly. 

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well...

SoE seem to still enforce the raiding on folks that dont want to raid...(to do so, put a very restricting XP limit that anyone can reach in no time and give all the best items to raiders only)

If they keep on that road, I am not even buying it, no thanks.  I will be angry at the end of the game if I am group/solo ghetto compare to folks that raid, can just avoid all that and be angry at start and never spend $1 there. :)

I dont know why, but I was really believing they would not do that in EQ2...until I read more of their *design* on EQ2.

Those devs are dead blinds.  The grouping system is what make EQ success despite the raiding that aggro so many folks(for every raid lover, you count dozens of folks that dislike it but bear it because they love the grouping in EQ), and they still goes on that road and dig more holes in it!  LOL

They look like someone that would sell me Champagne(raiding) when I ask wine(grouping) or beer(soloing) because he think Champagne is more uber, and then would expect me to pay the Champagne price.  If all I want is to get drunk fast, I dont mind drinking beers(soloing) or wines(grouping), but go away with your champagne(raiding)! :)  Champagne is not better to get drunk! :)  If anything it is more expensive and I will have troubles to get drunk and will need to work more for each drunk feast! Of course, when the only others options is Jack Daniels & friends (PvP)...yet, it will change, the void will disappear soon! :)

*shrug*

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I was kinda stuck with this question myself.

EQ was the game that got me hooked on mmorpgs and I love it to this day, with that in mind its hard for me to imagine not getting the sequal.  EQ2 on the other hand has horrible graphics imo and they destroyed most of the neat faction system and cities from the original.

WoW looks amazing graphically and has some neat ideas but I worry it might have limited depth and suffer from a lack of mmorpg experience.

Both could be great and I will probably try them each a try but a third option has popped up for me and I am enjoying it so much I might not bother with either EQ2 or WoW.  I just started playing the closed beta of Lineage 2 and this game has me hooked.  Graphically its better then EQ2 or WoW and so far the game play has been lots of fun.  It has such a crisp feel too its just very well done.

Hmm, that probably wasnt much help since you were trying to decide between 2 choices and I offered a third lol.  Oh well I would peek at Lineage 2 if you get a chance, you might really enjoy it!

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Misti

I was kinda stuck with this question myself.

EQ was the game that got me hooked on mmorpgs and I love it to this day, with that in mind its hard for me to imagine not getting the sequal.  EQ2 on the other hand has horrible graphics imo and they destroyed most of the neat faction system and cities from the original.

<snaps fingers>
    I totally concur. Despite the fact that I quit EQ 18 months ago, I have nothing but warm, happy feelings about it. Whilst, initially I was cheering for EQ2 now I'm a little bit more ambivalent. Like yourself, I wasn't sold on the storyline, especially given that the logical choice would be to have PvP built into the game design. Otherwise, Qeynos/Freeport is simply cosmetic and limits play rather than enhances it.

If I were to be honest with myself, I would only get excited about EQ2 because it's another chance to recapture that old EQ experience, yet I do not want EQ Reloaded i.e. I would like to see progression with the game mechanics.

I'll adopt a wait and see attitude rather than jump right in from the get go.

I might not bother with either EQ2 or WoW.

Same here. I respect Blizzard as a gaming company for making polished, professional products and the support they provide to their gaming community but Diablo aside, I was never really turned on by their games. Just personal taste.

Unfortunately, besides EQ2 or WoW the MMOG scene is pretty damn patchy at present. The only games of any interest to me are trying AO or re-subscribing to Eve. Of the former, SL looks as though it's killed AO for the long-haul and Eve is a beautiful, compelling game with completely different physics but I find myself preferring to play X or X2.

That said, I have enough to keep me occupied in RL so patience is a virtue.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."