Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE sets new player count record - 30,000

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Herkmeck

Originally posted by koshua
    When I just logged I now, Eve had 30068 player accounts logged in to the main Tranquility server. Congratulations CCP on scaling your baby to these dizzy heights!

You heard it here first.

/k

Due to the multiple accounts holders, and AFK miners.  We are going to have to recalculate that number.  Take away the isk sellers, and afk miners=20,000.  Take the multiple account holders away = 15,000.  Take away the E-Bay sellers = 10,000.  Humph...nope your numbers have not changed one bit there CCP.  10k players....which 9680 are carebears playing a PVE game deep in empire space.  And 320 are waiting at a choke point to kill off any carebear that wanders by.

But really....30k x $15.00USD a month aint nothing to sneeze at....Good Job CCP

Do you enjoy just making up numbers out of thin air?
    Most people don't AFK mine... there isn't a ship big enough to make AFK mining useful... You'll fill your hold in no time flat then you just sit around floating in space while pirate NPC's fly up and blow your ship up?  Nope... people don't generally AFK mine very often...

ISK Sellers?  Are they playing to do it?  Yep... what about gold sellers in WoW?  And you rnumber is crazy... ISK sellers do not account for 10k accounts, lol.

Multiple account holders?  Every game has these folks.  That's just silly to bring up.  LOL
    Oh and E-Bay sellers?  You're saying that's another 10k players?  *chuckles*   Whatever man... You're forgetting that an E-Bay seller doesn't have to log in except once every now and then to train the next skill.   In EVE you train even when logged out so folks making characters to sell on E-Bay (while they DO exist) are generally training them while the ebay account is logged off.  It only gets logged in to change skill training.  So how would they account for any player activity whatsoever when they're only on for 1 minute at a time to train the next skill started?

Oh and um... that's 30k active players logged into the game.  The number of subscribers is 170k. 

I'll agree with anyone:  Some aspects of the game are painfully boring.  But others are very good.  Overall it's a decent game.  And the only true sandbox game left right now since SWG was nuked with the NGE in November of last year.  Personally I only play EVE while I'm waiting for Darkfall and Hero's Journey to release... Hopefully they'll live up to expectations.  If they do I'll be leaving EVE again.  But right now?  It's the best option out there for those of us who love to play in a sandbox.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by Darkentwo
    Actually you are right. Eve uses a cluster of servers to power a single shard and not the other way around like some peopel stated. And if your PC is crashing when you play eve, it is more likely due to a fault in your PC than with the game. I have almost never heard of anyone's pc crashing  due to server lag on eve.

The technical achievvement is taht they got 30k people on a single shard. I think people get a bit confused between shards and servers.

Er... no. The side effect of Eve constantly pushing the boundaries of network technology is lag. You don't know you've reached your limit until you overload it.

The reason I quit Eve was client instablility. Good game but too many CTD's not to be frustrating.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    This thread belongs in the EVE section only. Please stop posting this shit everytime the server hits a new milestone. Even CCP realises that it's not a good idea ffs.

• HerkmeckHerkmeck Member Posts: 206

Originally posted by Elnator

Originally posted by koshua
    When I just logged I now, Eve had 30068 player accounts logged in to the main Tranquility server. Congratulations CCP on scaling your baby to these dizzy heights!

You heard it here first.

/k

Due to the multiple accounts holders, and AFK miners.  We are going to have to recalculate that number.  Take away the isk sellers, and afk miners=20,000.  Take the multiple account holders away = 15,000.  Take away the E-Bay sellers = 10,000.  Humph...nope your numbers have not changed one bit there CCP.  10k players....which 9680 are carebears playing a PVE game deep in empire space.  And 320 are waiting at a choke point to kill off any carebear that wanders by.

But really....30k x $15.00USD a month aint nothing to sneeze at....Good Job CCP

Most people don't AFK mine... there isn't a ship big enough to make AFK mining useful... You'll fill your hold in no time flat then you just sit around floating in space while pirate NPC's fly up and blow your ship up?  Nope... people don't generally AFK mine very often...

ISK Sellers?  Are they playing to do it?  Yep... what about gold sellers in WoW?  And you rnumber is crazy... ISK sellers do not account for 10k accounts, lol.

Multiple account holders?  Every game has these folks.  That's just silly to bring up.  LOL
    Oh and E-Bay sellers?  You're saying that's another 10k players?  *chuckles*   Whatever man... You're forgetting that an E-Bay seller doesn't have to log in except once every now and then to train the next skill.   In EVE you train even when logged out so folks making characters to sell on E-Bay (while they DO exist) are generally training them while the ebay account is logged off.  It only gets logged in to change skill training.  So how would they account for any player activity whatsoever when they're only on for 1 minute at a time to train the next skill started?

Oh and um... that's 30k active players logged into the game.  The number of subscribers is 170k. 

I'll agree with anyone:  Some aspects of the game are painfully boring.  But others are very good.  Overall it's a decent game.  And the only true sandbox game left right now since SWG was nuked with the NGE in November of last year.  Personally I only play EVE while I'm waiting for Darkfall and Hero's Journey to release... Hopefully they'll live up to expectations.  If they do I'll be leaving EVE again.  But right now?  It's the best option out there for those of us who love to play in a sandbox.

Learn to read....If you cant tell what I wrote was a joke then you really need to get out more...

I was being funny...you know just touching on all the "Quick Lock" threads on CCP's forums.  E-Bay (Look wrangler I said E-BAY) Multi accounts..macro miners...and GTC's.  and if you really beleave that Eve-online has 170k active accounts...then I have a bridge to sell ya.  Notice I said ACTIVE. 

But lets not go to far into the misleading information CCP dishes out shall we?

As for being a decent game only Kali will tell. 

Learn to read....If you cant tell what I wrote was a joke then you really need to get out more...

I was being funny...you know just touching on all the "Quick Lock" threads on CCP's forums.  E-Bay (Look wrangler I said E-BAY) Multi accounts..macro miners...and GTC's.  and if you really beleave that Eve-online has 170k active accounts...then I have a bridge to sell ya.  Notice I said ACTIVE. 

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by Hadesprime

my point was that Eve breaks no MMO molds. Once you look past the fact your avatar is your ship and space is your medium it follows the exact same layout and design as any other MMO. Eve happens to have people that enjoy the grind it gives as game play but make no mistake its just another MMO grind in which you pay for just like any other MMO.

Right, because every other game out there is full of such innovation that EVE is a shame , at least its not another BS fantasy game full of fairies using the exact same model as the last under a new name and skin

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

and if you really beleave that Eve-online has 170k active accounts...then I have a bridge to sell ya.  Notice I said ACTIVE. 

Why is it so hard to believe that EVE has 170 thousand active accounts when WoW has 5 million?

As for dishing out misleading information, CCP is not like the government - their corporate philosophy does not involve distorting the truth to paint themselves in a better light.  CCP generally owns up to mistakes when they make them, as has been proven by a number of dev blogs and posts.  Moreover, I can't see any advantage CCP would gain by claiming they have more active subscriptions than they, in truth, do.

And yes, I'm something of a CCP fanboi (usually) because CCP has treated me well and their devs are far more accessable and open than the devs of other MMO's (I've had the head ships and modules balancing developer personally reply to one of my posts on the forums about defender missiles, for instance).

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

Hmmm 170k Paid subscribers is the only thing you can nail down.  And 30k active users at prime time.  Those are the only two figures you can factually state.  Trying to GUESS at how many 'active accounts' (I'm assuming you mean paid-in-full accounts where the user actually plays?) is an excercize in futility with any game.   WoW has 6.5 million paying subscribers (though the asian figures are a little misleading since they're not really $15 a month).  How many of those are "active players" is anyone's guess.  Especially iin EVE.  Because, technically speaking, if you have a skill training that takes 1 month to train you could realistically log out for that entire month and only log back in after that skill has trained.  You would still have been "actively" working on your character.  Granted that's an extreme example but where do you draw the 'line' for an account to be 'active' beyond "paid for"?

What misleading information has CCP "dished out"?

They have said:  "170,000 subscribers"  (That means people paying a monthly fee to play the game)
    They have said:  "30,000" Concurrent users online

Which piece of that is misleading?  Please enlighten us?

I'm hardly one of EVE's biggest fans.   But CCP has never misled anyone about the number of people subscribed to, or playing, their game.

Sig image Pending

• 30,000! Wow!

Haha...some of you said that making a game for retards wouldn't work!

Originally posted by poopypants
    30,000! Wow!

Congratulations! You're a moron!

way to post something constructive there Cletus.

A trained monkey cold likely play WoW pretty easily, EVE...not so much.

• Originally posted by Minsc

30,000! Wow!

No, a trained monkey would throw his feces at EVE first...then go and play WoW!
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Just because you might have heard posts like this before and find it underwhelming doesn't mean it isn't spectacular.

Congrats EVE for doing what no one else has the foresight or the nads to do.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by baff

I never cease to be impressed by the number of clients Eve connects. It is a true masterpiece of technology.
    Eve's claim to fame, and the one department in which it is unrivaled.

The big downside?  You have to play with other EVE players!
  • McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

Do you enjoy just making up numbers out of thin air?Most people don't AFK mine... there isn't a ship big enough to make AFK mining useful... You'll fill your hold in no time flat then you just sit around floating in space while pirate NPC's fly up and blow your ship up?
    There is Chribbas Revelation Dreadnought in Amarr, he uses it to afk mine veldspar (the least worth mineral in the game) ::::01::

But it's one of a kind. I know of no other dreadnought that are still in highsec considering the fact that once they leave highsec they can never go back and since the RMR patch in december they can only be built it lowsec. And building a dread to afk mine in highsec isn't a effective way to make money. Maybe chribba has made back the cost now 9 months later but even that is uncertain.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• HerkmeckHerkmeck Member Posts: 206

Hmmm 170k Paid subscribers is the only thing you can nail down.  And 30k active users at prime time.  Those are the only two figures you can factually state.  Trying to GUESS at how many 'active accounts' (I'm assuming you mean paid-in-full accounts where the user actually plays?) is an excercize in futility with any game.   WoW has 6.5 million paying subscribers (though the asian figures are a little misleading since they're not really $15 a month).  How many of those are "active players" is anyone's guess.  Especially iin EVE.  Because, technically speaking, if you have a skill training that takes 1 month to train you could realistically log out for that entire month and only log back in after that skill has trained.  You would still have been "actively" working on your character.  Granted that's an extreme example but where do you draw the 'line' for an account to be 'active' beyond "paid for"?

What misleading information has CCP "dished out"?

They have said:  "170,000 subscribers"  (That means people paying a monthly fee to play the game)
    They have said:  "30,000" Concurrent users online

Which piece of that is misleading?  Please enlighten us?

I'm hardly one of EVE's biggest fans.   But CCP has never misled anyone about the number of people subscribed to, or playing, their game.

I dont count the multiple accounts being used by one person, nor do I count the "14 day" accounts, Nor do I count the multiple DEV accounts.  And I really dont count the accounts that have left the game.  Seems Like CCP likes to count all of those...

And then again I got so tired of "Soon"...

And this Nerf will make the game better....(this is always good)

In three years, I learned not to take CCP for their word.  After all they are in bussness to make money off of the players.  And you cant trust a bussnessman after all.

And yeah I think you are a Eve fanboi, every post that pokes at CCP or Eve-online your right there, their champion in rusted armor.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I dont count the multiple accounts being used by one person, nor do I count the "14 day" accounts, Nor do I count the multiple DEV accounts. And I really dont count the accounts that have left the game. Seems Like CCP likes to count all of those...
    1. All MMORPGs count multiple accounts used by 1 person.
    2. 14-day accounts aren't counted.
    3. Dev accounts aren't counted.
    4. Only active accounts are counted.
    5. You haven't played for a while if you're mentioning "Soon". "Soon" stopped somewhere in the middle of the Castor content patch, which was launched in Fall 2004. You call other people an EVE fanboy, but you yourself are a prime example of an anti-fanboy.

Seriously, every time there's some news about EVE Online, all the anti-fanboys jump on it like rabid wolves. It's like they have some sort of personal vendetta against the game succeeding or something.

I dont count the multiple accounts being used by one person, nor do I count the "14 day" accounts, Nor do I count the multiple DEV accounts.  And I really dont count the accounts that have left the game.  Seems Like CCP likes to count all of those...
    And this Nerf will make the game better....(this is always good)
    In three years, I learned not to take CCP for their word.  After all they are in bussness to make money off of the players.  And you cant trust a bussnessman after all.
    And yeah I think you are a Eve fanboi, every post that pokes at CCP or Eve-online your right there, their champion in rusted armor.

Wait.... you "don't count" the "multiple accounts" being used by one person, even though that *is* a paid subscription?  So you have some means of telling exactly who has multiple accounts and how many extra accounts each person has?  Do you work for CCP?  If not then you can't "not count" something that you don't have a quantifyable number for.

Just a clue:  NOBODY counts 14 day trials in the subscriber numbers.  A 14 day trial is *not* considered a subscription.  Those 170,000 *subscriptions* are accounts that are actively paying a monthly fee.   Arguably a small number of the 30,000 concurrent users are probably trial accounts but they are not the majority of players on the system and you know that.

As to whether I'm an EVE "fanboi" (lord I hate that term) I find your memory astonishingly weak.  Use the search feature, it's helpful... go take a look at how many of my posts about EVE and CCP have actually been positive.  This thread isn't about EVE's gameplay (which I have many issues with) it's about you disputing factual numbers based upon assumptions and flat out falsehoods.    EVE's subscriber numbers and number of players online are fact.  You stating that 'it isn't so because blah blah blah' is nothing more than a bunch of assumptions based upon nothing more than the whim of your mind.  Witness the fact that you call me an EVE fanboi when I am typically very critical of the game.  I do play EVE right now... but not because it's my favorite game or even because I particularly like it.  I play because it's the only real sandbox left and I DETEST level based games.  they just aren't fun to me.  I like the freedom EVE offers, nothing more.  It's got so many gameplay gaps that I'm not even going to get into them here.  Go take a look through the EVE forums even just here on this site.  I've posted many times there on what I feel is wrong with the game or areas I think it's weak.  Most of the true EVE fans consider me a troll :) 

What I'm arguing here is statistical FACT.  EVE has been, and is, very successful.  It has 170,000 PAID subscribers.  It has 30,000 players (roughly) online at peak time.  those are all easily verifiable facts.  Why people even want to dispute them is baffling to me.  I *detest* WoW but you don't see me running around saying their 7 million subscriber number is fake.

Sig image Pending

• HadesprimeHadesprime Member Posts: 303
    to achieve 30K players on one server is easy. Any game could do it period. The technology has been there for years and the IT experience to implmenent it correctly has been know for equal time.

The problem ?

Most games no in fact all MMO's are way smaller than eve is. For MMO's do not suffer problems from total players on one server but rather how many are in one local area. This is governed by

the servers and its cluster implementation
    the graphics engine and how hard the server has to push out data.

So the real test is how well does eve perform when there are 50 to 100 ships in a single area all doing what eve says they should do from fighting to mining. Counting those docked at a station that occupy no server resources does not count so quoting that Jita had 1000 people and no lag is pointless. Steer me to a local large PVP battle and then we see the true accurate litmus test.

What does CCP deserve credit for ? Having an IT department that knows how to correctly cluster servers and distribute load.  But this isn't the holy grail because its been done before already on asian games.

As far as the finer points of each such as its claimed innovation ( I can say it innovates nothing ) thats a whole new thread to debate in. Oh btw I have seen more than 5,000 players in a single AO server before.

Originally posted by Hadesprime
    to achieve 30K players on one server is easy. Any game could do it period. The technology has been there for years and the IT experience to implmenent it correctly has been know for equal time.

The problem ?

Most games no in fact all MMO's are way smaller than eve is. For MMO's do not suffer problems from total players on one server but rather how many are in one local area. This is governed by

the servers and its cluster implementation
    the graphics engine and how hard the server has to push out data.

So the real test is how well does eve perform when there are 50 to 100 ships in a single area all doing what eve says they should do from fighting to mining. Counting those docked at a station that occupy no server resources does not count so quoting that Jita had 1000 people and no lag is pointless. Steer me to a local large PVP battle and then we see the true accurate litmus test.

What does CCP deserve credit for ? Having an IT department that knows how to correctly cluster servers and distribute load.  But this isn't the holy grail because its been done before already on asian games.

As far as the finer points of each such as its claimed innovation ( I can say it innovates nothing ) thats a whole new thread to debate in. Oh btw I have seen more than 5,000 players in a single AO server before.

I never said they deserved 'credit' for anything :)  Matter of fact if you read this thread I was one of the folks who said it's kind of annoying that these threads keep getting posted :)

But it is a record, whether we like hearing about it every couple weeks or not.  EVE is also the only MMORPG even trying to do this on this scale... so it's not as easy as you'd like to believe either :)

Sig image Pending

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I never said they deserved 'credit' for anything :)  Matter of fact if you read this thread I was one of the folks who said it's kind of annoying that these threads keep getting posted :)But it is a record, whether we like hearing about it every couple weeks or not.  EVE is also the only MMORPG even trying to do this on this scale... so it's not as easy as you'd like to believe either :)

They are also the only game where all the zones are 90% identical with just a different backdrop and very little interactivity with the enviroment. Not really a toughie...

I get tired of them to El, more-so because of all the performance problems I suffered the last time I was playing it while they kept boasting about it.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

I never said they deserved 'credit' for anything :)  Matter of fact if you read this thread I was one of the folks who said it's kind of annoying that these threads keep getting posted :)But it is a record, whether we like hearing about it every couple weeks or not.  EVE is also the only MMORPG even trying to do this on this scale... so it's not as easy as you'd like to believe either :)

They are also the only game where all the zones are 90% identical with just a different backdrop and very little interactivity with the enviroment. Not really a toughie...

I get tired of them to El, more-so because of all the performance problems I suffered the last time I was playing it while they kept boasting about it.

Well in their defense it IS a space game :)  All any of those are is 3d boxes with wallpapers around them and a few 3D objects scattered around inside the Box.  EVE does it better than most but still, yeah... the wallpapers get old when you're seeing the same ones for 6-10 sectors at a time.

Sig image Pending

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by FadeusOriginally posted by ElnatorI never said they deserved 'credit' for anything :)  Matter of fact if you read this thread I was one of the folks who said it's kind of annoying that these threads keep getting posted :)But it is a record, whether we like hearing about it every couple weeks or not.  EVE is also the only MMORPG even trying to do this on this scale... so it's not as easy as you'd like to believe either :)
    Well in their defense it IS a space game :)  All any of those are is 3d boxes with wallpapers around them and a few 3D objects scattered around inside the Box.  EVE does it better than most but still, yeah... the wallpapers get old when you're seeing the same ones for 6-10 sectors at a time.

Ya but atleast SWG put some astral bodies (nebula, debris, etc.) in it other then planets and rock belts. So they made it look good yes but I wouldnt' say they do it better then anyone else because they really didn't put into into the space, it's just space with a backdrop.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Minsc

30,000! Wow!

Well at least we agree on the general intelligence level of the average WoW player.

Originally posted by ElnatorI never said they deserved 'credit' for anything :)  Matter of fact if you read this thread I was one of the folks who said it's kind of annoying that these threads keep getting posted :)But it is a record, whether we like hearing about it every couple weeks or not.  EVE is also the only MMORPG even trying to do this on this scale... so it's not as easy as you'd like to believe either :)

Ya but atleast SWG put some astral bodies (nebula, debris, etc.) in it other then planets and rock belts. So they made it look good yes but I wouldnt' say they do it better then anyone else because they really didn't put into into the space, it's just space with a backdrop.

This is true.  And it's something I really wish CCP had addressed in Beta.  It's also one of the reasons I preferred Pre-NGE SWG over EVE ;)

I still wish EA had let Origin do "Privateer Online" :(

Sig image Pending

• Originally posted by Minsc

Originally posted by Minsc

30,000! Wow!

Well at least we agree on the general intelligence level of the average WoW player.

Lol...I can't stand that fantasy shit especially when it's cartoony fantasy shit! I don't understand what people get out of it. But 7,000,000 people can't be wrong, can they?

Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk is my game of choice...but because it's a niche within a niche it is also my misery!

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

What I'm arguing here is statistical FACT.  EVE has been, and is, very successful.  It has 170,000 PAID subscribers.  It has 30,000 players (roughly) online at peak time.  those are all easily verifiable facts. 

The last time I checked, EVE had 140,000 paid accounts.  170,000 paid accounts would seem to agree with the trends in SirBruce's data.

But there is a difference between 170,000 subscriptions, and 170,000 subscribers.  A big difference, considering the fact that the game design really justifies the second, third, and fourth account.

The box price is cheap ($20), alts can be levelled without having to grind, and the extra accounts allow the user to specialize in many useful things, and have ready access to the abilities.  Its no wonder why nearly everyone I met had more than one account, or if they didn't, were going to get more.  There is simply no good reason not to if you have the means to do it.

Now if there were 170,000 subscribers, my next question would be how many subscriptions are those 170,000 subscribers paying for?  Only SirBruce and CCP know, but unless the game is toting 250,000-300,000 accounts, basically doubling the subscription numbers at lull between major content upgrades, it is highly unlikely the game boasts 170,000 paid subscribers.  Moreover, if there are more than 30,000 characters online at one time, how many players are playing those 30,000 characters?

So while I'm open to being suprised, the notion that there are 170,000 people paying for EVE is a misrepresentation.  It would be like saying I fed 170,000 people because I sold 170,000 hotdogs.  Seeing as many order two three, four, or five, the number of customers are much lower.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE