Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats combat like?

Kriminal99Kriminal99 Member Posts: 377
This game looks kinda good but what is the combat like...  Its faq isn't really too clear but I am afraid its saying that you don't really control what is going on, is that the case?  Are twitch skills involved like freespace 2 or is it just a space sandwich combat game or is it like UO or something which is somewhere in between?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBABILITY(YOUR STATEMENTS BEING MOTIVATED BY FEAR(I>U)) > .5

Comments

• WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60

It's like this:

I'm flying along in my Black Bird Cruiser (good at ECM warfare).

I run across a Scorpion Battleship.

He's got long range weapons so I don't want him to get too close, but I have to get close enough to fire off my ECM's

I hit the afterburners to get me in close and light off my ECM Gravimetric which breaks his target lock and jams him so he can't shoot. I drop a cruise missile on him and hit the burners again to get out of range before the ECM wears off.

In the meantime, two of his friends in frigates show up. I lock those two targets, and since they are frigs I don't need a big slow cruise missle, so I sent out a missile at each one, and start my 250mm railgun shooting at one of them. Meantime my Cruise missile tube is ready, so I fire another cruise missile at the big guy.

Basically it's kind of like Star Trek. You lock your target(s), then fire your weapon(s). It gives you locked target icons across the top and you can lock multiple targets, once your targets are locked you start fireing your weapons. You can fire them single shot, or set them up to auto-repeat and they will continue fireing at the designated target until you manually stop, the target is destoyed or you run out of ammo. It's fast paced combat, but doesn't require "twitcher" skills. Hope that helps.

• Kriminal99Kriminal99 Member Posts: 377
    it does... I guess Ill give it a try because I really like economic based games and stuff but I was really hoping for twitch skill based.  But if theyve got enough different types of strategies and stuff then it might be alright anyways.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBABILITY(YOUR STATEMENTS BEING MOTIVATED BY FEAR(I>U)) > .5

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Here's some video links to game combat

http://bnc.realityxgames.com/movies/stain.wmv

http://bnc.realityxgames.com/movies/FountainInvasion.wmv

http://bnc.realityxgames.com/movies/FountainWar.wmv

http://bnc.realityxgames.com/movies/chaos.wmv

http://bnc.realityxgames.com/movies/tide.wmv

-=-=-=-=-
    Chess the original hardcore PvP game!

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% Test learn what it means here.
    Yee: Ach: 85% GRE: 65% AFF: 15% Imm 15% Test Click here to learn about it.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• GardarGardar Member Posts: 50
    The Combat system is good atm but they are going to improove it i've heard. looking forward to see it :)

Gar

Gar

• mrbbmanmrbbman Member Posts: 282
    Combat requires some thought although I wouldn't say you would need "Twitch" skills either. Basically it's chess like... you put alot of planning into your combat style and fittings for your ship before you even undock. There are alot of strategies to use but there seems to be only a few powerful archetypes. You still have alot of variation between ships though. Combat is good in this game. However, they are constantly "balancing" the ship modules all the time so it can change. I think they are still working out a few kinks but overall it is a good system and a fun one to boot.

True Neutral Half-Elf Ranger Mage
    Follower Of Silvanus

Kings of Chaos! Free to play! Great PvP!

• zentyzenty Member Posts: 31
    Im new but it seems really hard to find mobs....... although as i have said im new so /shrugimage

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

Mobs are most easily found in asteroid belts, just keep searching them and you will find mobs. The lower security space and harder the mobs. Though I did find a 3 cruiser group in a 0.4 system and this was rather weird to me, hunted in 0.2 systems and have never run into cruisers, until yesterday in audernine(spelling)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.