Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Fee?

Is there a subscription fee? I heard a rumor there wasn't just confirming

sry for teh noob mode lol

Ya heard

Comments

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

Not for the original game. There is if you want to play using the expansions.

• HomiesliceHomieslice Member Posts: 156
    so the original game is free?!?!?!?! good enough for me

Ya heard

• Stratus8Stratus8 Member Posts: 173

AO Regular is free...

If you want Shadowlands/Notum Wars/Alien Invasion/Lost Eden for more equipment and stuff you gotta pay up for that. Each expansion costs money to upgrade but most of the time they offer special offers to upgrade to all of them for a low price. Playing for free isnt so bad but once you level up to 100 or so maybe its time to upgrade.

• marele_mic4marele_mic4 Member Posts: 11

the original AO is free for a year

so if u want to play for 5 or more years download knightonline

• Stratus8Stratus8 Member Posts: 173

Knight Online is a pathetic game that you really cant even play for more than a year. Anarchy Online has no comparison to Knight Online.

And more than likely they will make AO Regular free forever because the ads in-game are making them tons of $$$. If they dont, subscribing is worth it and it isnt that expensive.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Stratus8

If they dont, subscribing is worth it and it isnt that expensive.

I've renewed my subscription and gone back to see what's changed.

I think the free AO is a good deal but I've been playing over the weekend and I'm thinking $15 a month, given the lag and old graphics, is overpriced. Fresh games with the latest graphics and no lag cost the same. If they can't retrieve and restore my old characters, I doubt I'll give pay for a second month. If I have to start over completely I may play the free version a bit.

On the plus side, this free version has the game well populated. No lack of other people to play with.

• McYodaMcYoda Member Posts: 40
    Oi! What green13 said is true, but also mind that AO isn't just "some MMORPG", Anarchy Online is for life ;-)

Really, if you look at graphics only, then Anarchy Online is the most beautiful ground-based Sci-fi MMORPG out of the two (Neocron 2 is beautiful, too, but the UI is a bit confusing.)

Oh don't get me started about Neocron 2...

I never made it into the game. My bank caught Click2Pay trying to make a dodgy charge to my card so I couldn't even get into the "free" trial version. Even after forwarding a copy of the bank's records of the dodgy charges to both Reakktor and C2P they kept denying it. And I was just one of many people reporting valid credit cards being rejected for the "free" trial on the Neocron forums.

You make a good point though. There's not a lot out there in way of ground-based sci-fi, and graphics aside AO does it well. Playing again I'm reminded of what a good job they've done on the different classes. They've all got at least one really neat trick that makes you think "yeah I could have fun playing them".

Yeah, I think it's just wrong that you need a credit card for a trial account in Neocron 2, back when I tried it that was still completely free 14 days, or was it 10 days...

Of course there are SWG and Seed, at least, oh and Face of Mankind and Entropia as well, but I refuse to even think about SWG anymore after the lobotomy they made (Combat Upgrade, and the following horrible, horrible new content patches). Seed I haven't tried because I don't have a credit card, FoM sounds nice but that's pretty much what I know about the game, nice idea:)

I hope Age of Conan will be good, even though it is fantasy... I like the fact that you have to play single all the way to level... was it 20? Before you can start the real multi-player game. Anyway, sorry for this last paragraph, hijacking a thread is evil >_>

Hasn't been hijacked. The dearth of other decent sci-fi mmorpgs is pretty relevant to this thread. I never played SWG - was a poor student back when it launched, and just reading what players said about it after they started changing it put me totally off it even as a die-hard Star Wars fan.

Haven't played FoM or Entropia either, but again just going by player comments neither would seem to measure up to AO as a game.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

AO original was the best part anyways.....

I liked the additions of the notum wars expansion but shadowlands ruined it for me. It would be fun to go back and run through the original again though and its free so what have ya got to lose?

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

Any info on the continuation of the free campaign? They already extended it for another year, I think or at least hope it'll remain free in the future, as well.