Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Last Days On Earth"

porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Did anyone watch the 20/20 special last night called "Last Days on Earth"?

It was pretty good.  It had a panel of scientists outlining the 7 most likely events to finish us off.  I can't remember the exact order of all of them, but they were gamma bursts, super volcano, asteroid, nuclear annihilation, disease. 

And the #1 biggest threat was global warming.  All the scientists on there said that 99% of the scientists in the world today know that global warming is real and that man is hastening it and making it worse than it would have been naturally with CO2 emissions. 

Fortunately, they said that most scientists agree that we are at a critical time when we could change it or not.  But that time is disappearing very quickly.  And that if we don't do something within the next decade to half decade it will be pretty much irreversible. 

They showed what will happen when global warming goes into full swing in the next couple of decades.  It was very frightening.  Florida, Manhatten Island, all coastal cities, London, etc. will all be gone.  Completely under water.  And all the people that lived in those places will be refuges.  They said to think about when Katrina hit New Orleans how the refuges there have effected us and that was a fraction of a percentage of how many people will be displaced when the ice caps start melting even faster. 

Another thing they said is to not feel safe because you live inland.  Inland folks rely on snow runoff for their water supplies.  No more snow runoff.  And that means no more water.

-----------------------
</OBAMA>

Comments

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    Global warming? Pfft lets just make like Futurama and drop a giant ice cube into the ocean every few years!

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that London or Manhattan is going to be Veniced in "the next couple decades".

That's not to discount the magnitude of the problem, which is immense, but over-hyping the short term consequences only plays into the hands of those who want to fiddle while the planet burns.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Yeah, I watched that last night at work.

Got a kick out of it.  They even have the exact date of our astronomical demise lol.  It was April 13, 2036.

While interesting, I didn't take a lot of it very seriously.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951
    Jesus is just going to teleport back to Earth, raise his hand, shoot out some ultra violent rays of doom and warp out.

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Besides you cant reverse global warming. The greed and power that runs things around the world wouldnt allow it because it would hurt their invesments now. Sigh

Then find a way to convert the CO2 in the atmosphere.  Trees do it.  I saw a show on Discovery that said the rainforests are the lungs of our planet.  The breathe in the CO2 and release oxygen.  Yet they are shrinking from forestation. 

I used to watch SeaQuest when I was a little punk and I remember they had environmental stabilization devices out at sea.  Why not do something like that? 

People look at this as a bunch of liberals trying to destroy the economies of the world.  But it's not.  It's our struggle to survive and leave a world fit to live in for future generations.  If someone thinks it's all liberals then why not come up with a system to do like what they were doing in SeaQuest?  Then there would be nothing to worry about.  The economies could go on and the environment could be saved. 

I do wish they would quit cutting down the rainforest though.  If not for the environmental reasons then just for the fact that it's unique area that needs to be preserved.

• honzolohonzolo Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by porgie

It was pretty good.  It had a panel of scientists outlining the 7 most likely events to finish us off.  I can't remember the exact order of all of them, but they were gamma bursts, super volcano, asteroid, nuclear annihilation, disease. 
    And the #1 biggest threat was global warming.  All the scientists on there said that 99% of the scientists in the world today know that global warming is real and that man is hastening it and making it worse than it would have been naturally with CO2 emissions. 
    Fortunately, they said that most scientists agree that we are at a critical time when we could change it or not.  But that time is disappearing very quickly.  And that if we don't do something within the next decade to half decade it will be pretty much irreversible. 
    They showed what will happen when global warming goes into full swing in the next couple of decades.  It was very frightening.  Florida, Manhatten Island, all coastal cities, London, etc. will all be gone.  Completely under water.  And all the people that lived in those places will be refuges.  They said to think about when Katrina hit New Orleans how the refuges there have effected us and that was a fraction of a percentage of how many people will be displaced when the ice caps start melting even faster. 
    Another thing they said is to not feel safe because you live inland.  Inland folks rely on snow runoff for their water supplies.  No more snow runoff.  And that means no more water.

We're all gonna die! Panic everybody!!!

LOL

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Originally posted by honzolo

LOL

I remember when I was in junior high and ridicule used to work.   Some people still try to use that I suppose.  Now I judge someones arguments on the facts they can present me.  I sort of grew up. 

===============================

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

LOL, one small problem!! It only takes a 3.5 degree warmup within the oceanic conveyor to slow it down. If such happens a Ice Age will occur long before any big burn yur arse Global Warming event. I guess scientists forgot to mention that part huh. Let the FEAR begin!!!
  • VanillacreamVanillacream Member Posts: 344

Global warming...thats actually a topic I dont belive in. Several documentarys (from BBC and Discovery just to mention a few) have shown there is no global warming. It started as a coverup to get more funding etc, and now has turned into a "fact" because it seems so plausabul.

Sure the ice melts etc, but they are failing to mention the growth as well. One cool thing BBC showed was a footage a company showed were the ice was allmost gone. Well on the same area they failed to show how another section has frozen over. Ice shifts, melts etc. Its a living thing.

There is no global warming. Period.

CO2 Science (old but interesting)

But I guess in topics like this about global warming is a no win situation some belive others dont. I guess I am more of a "swim against the stream" kind of fish. lol

Maybe because we are eating more Fast Food! Resulting in us farting alot more! Our farts are warming the world! Hold it in people!!!

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

im going to invest in sail boat companies and buy a big ass galleon(sp?) lol::::20::::::28::

• honzolohonzolo Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by gnomexxx

Originally posted by honzolo

LOL

I remember when I was in junior high and ridicule used to work.   Some people still try to use that I suppose.  Now I judge someones arguments on the facts they can present me.  I sort of grew up. 

LOL, perhaps you are a little overly sensitive. I was more making fun of the media and their attempts to get ratings using apocalyptic tactics. Don't take it personally... it wasn't meant to be.
  • JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500
    Was Al Gore one of the scientists? He invented the internet don't you know.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• ogcoreyogcorey Member Posts: 41
    From what ive heard and read, global warming isnt going to really be a problem anytime soon( exept for alitle higher temperatures and an increase of huricanes). It will really affect future generations.
  • RefnuRefnu Member Posts: 140

I watched that when it was on with my younger brother. Best part of it when they were talking about the black holes and how...i will try to quote it.

"Eventually it will start to stretch you and you will get taller and, well you know when you stretch it feels good, so you'll be like 'OO This feels kinda cool' but then you'll be dead"

Ha I enjoyed that comment, especially since it was some scientist dude.

Current: Puzzle Pirates
    Waiting: SWTOR,Aion, CO
    Played: AC, WoW, SB, EVE