Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Gameplay mini video.

DimitrioDimitrio Member UncommonPosts: 152

I hope you all enjoy this mini video, is about the upcoming MMORPG produced and co-published by Silgil Games Online (SGO) and also co Published by Sony Online Enterteiment (SOE).

This video

http://www.bradmcquaid.com/JerrithCombat1.avi

Specs of the PC

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.4GHz)

2 GB RAM

EVGA NVIDIA 7800GTX 256 MB

Dimitrio Darkblade
Founder Leader of Vitae Essentia
http://www.veguild.org

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    hahahaha, what a joke. its just Everquest/WoW all over again.

not to mention it doesn't even look half as good as Everquest 2. the animations are done very poorly.

• ZapaniZapani Member CommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Gameloading
    hahahaha, what a joke. its just Everquest/WoW all over again.

not to mention it doesn't even look half as good as Everquest 2. the animations are done very poorly.

I agree. Nothing new, just a another EQ clone.
  • scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Im gonna still give it a try for the player housing/cities and the seemless world :)

I thought SWG looked crap when it came out but fell in love with in even tho it had flaws

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      Vanguard is pretty much EQ 1.5  is what I heard from people who played it, close online friends so I trust them.
    Leveling grind is going to be huge, it's planned to be that way.  Combat is going to one of the slowest EVER, think a fast class like rouge and a 5 second wait between swings, 10 seconds on a slower char obviously.  Everything in it is steered to be in the words of its creators hardcore, where you have to earn everything with hard work.  Basically the word of mouth is the game is boring as hell, and these are people who are EQ and EQ2 fans.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• joshuaPhiiljoshuaPhiil Member Posts: 65

its just Everquest/WoW all over again.

just like lord of the rings online.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    bleh won't load.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

basically this is what brad saw as the sequel for EQ1.EQ2 as we know handles a lot differently then EQ1 just has the lore(which was done on purpose by SoE to avoid EQ1 players been lost and try attract a new crowd).

So yeah it aren't gonna be groundbreaking but more or less a "true sequel" to EQ1.

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

I am not impressed. Combat seemed to be very slow. 34 seconds to kill one lame myriapod? Did he use some toy swords bought from local ultra cheap store or what? That guy should demand his money back - clearly that sword was malfunctioning.

After playing AO, DAoC, CoH/V, Horizons, EQ2, WoW and countless other games in last 4 years - I really don't want to hear anymore words: class, level, tank, healer, damage dealer, xp or pulling. I have developed very strong anaphylactic reaction against those words.

Housing/crafting sounds intresting and graphics seem to be ok, but what is point to pay from game if you already hate half of it?

... and of course there is one company whose-name-you-shouldn't-mention related to this game ...

I am sorry sir McQuaid - but this just doesn't impress me.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• DezinessDeziness Member Posts: 15
    Yes, boring video, but you guys are for a fact, making inacurrate assumptions.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    - OR - maybe they're accurate assumptions.

• HotcellHotcell Member UncommonPosts: 279
    .... I would rather go back to WoW than play this game, even with player housing.
  • BornBorn Member Posts: 17

Had to go download a codec pkg and then it played.

LOL

EQ1.5  Hehehehe

Yeah, that's just what it looks like all right. Amazing.

So, EQ2 but way more tedious and frustrating?  Yeah, I'll rush right out and buy this one...NOT.

• DimitrioDimitrio Member UncommonPosts: 152

first at all you need Xvid  from Koepi or DivX to see the video, I am using Media Player Classic, which is Open Source/

Second that's Vanguard in Low/medium settings and a lot persons said it looked like  EQ2 in high settings. for those that says that this is EQ clone, should actually read a little more about the game. more than the threads of a frustrated guy who want to put his ideas over other since he didn't  get a beta invite, /points Utnayan at Fires of Heaven board. 

IDK, I liked the animation,  I found the fighting speed more than perfect, not fast as the wow  fantasy fight where you can be at 1hp and you are fighting fast you were at 100%.

There are a lot of effects to be added. In fact by just hearing from some NDA breakers that Vanguard, Looks like any other game atm, it  raises my expectatives, because a game in beta and development, without weather and atmostphere effects, should not be looking that good.

The experience with EQ iback  1999 was bad press, bad comments, even the gaming press said that EQ and those kind of games didn't have space in the gaming world and we all know the success it became and now today we are talking about a 7yrs old game, that still have subscribers, and we look others games with 3 or 4 years old giving the playtime for free, just  because they lost their subscriber base.

Is obiouslly, it should look a little like EQ, what did you expect? Is from the same creators of EverQuest, what do you think, if the creator of WoW makes another mmorpg, for example Diablo, it won't look like WoW? Come on. You can even see the infuence of  Blizzard's Warcraft and diablo series in Guild Wars, since all the original dev team left blizzard to make GuildWars. So is not biggie.

Dimitrio Darkblade

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Dimitrio

first at all you need Xvid  from Koepi or DivX to see the video, I am using Media Player Classic, which is Open Source/

It isn’t “or” you have to have the right codec installed to play it.  Installing XViD will not help you if it’s encoded using DivX.  I happen to have both installed and it still had no video, so does anyone know what codec (and possibly what version) this is using?

Originally posted by lomiller

Originally posted by Dimitrio

It isn’t “or” you have to have the right codec installed to play it.  Installing XViD will not help you if it’s encoded using DivX.  I happen to have both installed and it still had no video, so does anyone know what codec (and possibly what version) this is using?

Rare a friend mine using Xvid and Media Player Classic can see it, anyway I am using Divx 6.2.5 pro. By the way Media player classic is not the same as Windows Media Player or Media Player, those two comes with windows.

Is  this one http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

Dimitrio Darkblade

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

I can't watch the movie either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPcHSqiQt8

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Jeebus Christ.

Are they serious about this game?

Is that even Vanguard!?

From that video the game looks like it was developed by an amateur development team. I've seen vids and pics of vanguard, somehow it looks completely different from that. Lord save them if thats what Vanguard turns out to be.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

This is why you don't break NDA agreements.  I am not much of a fan of this game; but seriously you guys are looking at a game still in development.  They probably used a universal character skeleton that they constantly add animations ontop of.  This means that despite the characters being done, they can continue to add and edit animations all the way until release.  Also its UI is still underdevelopment, like the guy had to click on hotkey icons.  That probably hasn't been written in yet.  From what I understand they are using a heavily modified Unreal 2.0 engine.  This means that the hotkeys and general RPG functions must be hard coded in.

I would wait until Open Beta before making assumptions about the gameplay based on a video.

• MuddahMuddah Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Does anyone remember early EQ1 2 mins to kill a mob then 15 mins regening.This day and age of zerg warfare and your potions food/drink regen ya'll need to stick to kiddie Asian games and WoW.Sorry I'd prefer the slower more tactical approach.Think about it if fanasy was realish how fast could you swing a big ass metal sword or chant the words to a spell while somethings hitting you.Say your fighting a goblin with a dagger he is FREAKING STABBING you how long should it take you to recover.One thing missing in todays mmorpg is the RPG.These games arent to just max lvls and WTFPWN people and bosses.These games are to let you get away from RL and pretend your a Dark Elf or Half Giant or whatnot.Your avatar or the character you play is for fun not a moblie trophy of your accomplishments.

Originally posted by Vertex1980

I can't watch the movie either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPcHSqiQt8

I remember that video at the safehouse, is from BETA I or maybe early beta II.

Dimitrio Darkblade

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Brad Mcquaid = fraud

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Muddah
    Does anyone remember early EQ1 2 mins to kill a mob then 15 mins regening.This day and age of zerg warfare and your potions food/drink regen ya'll need to stick to kiddie Asian games and WoW.Sorry I'd prefer the slower more tactical approach.Think about it if fanasy was realish how fast could you swing a big ass metal sword or chant the words to a spell while somethings hitting you.Say your fighting a goblin with a dagger he is FREAKING STABBING you how long should it take you to recover.One thing missing in todays mmorpg is the RPG.These games arent to just max lvls and WTFPWN people and bosses.These games are to let you get away from RL and pretend your a Dark Elf or Half Giant or whatnot.Your avatar or the character you play is for fun not a moblie trophy of your accomplishments.

There was nothing tactical about the combat in that video.

I'm sorry but I work for a living as well as have other engagements. I do not have 17 minutes to waste on killing one monster before I can move on to the next. That's what annoys the crap out of me in games. When I kill one monster and then I sit around and wait for 5+ minutes staring at my character's life bar slowly and painfuly regenerating itself. Fast action, thats what keeps people playing, not sitting around waiting to regen for 15 minutes.

As far as realism goes, if someone stabbed you in real life, chances are you would be in the hospital or dead. Unless you deflected the stab or avoided it. If that is the case, then what is stopping you from continuing onward? If we're going to use the realism approach, after every fight in which you took damage, you should either be hospitalized or die of blood loss and/or infection. At the very least, you should suffer a penality to all of your stats because you can't expect to run as fast or fight as good with an open wound. Which brings me to my next point.

RPG combat is not realistic. There is nothing real about getting hit multiple times in the face with a mace and surviving. Therefore comparing RPG combat to real combat is pointless.

You're right about one thing though, these games are created so we can have fun. My idea of fun is fast-paced, action-filled combat. Judging from your post, it seems like your idea of fun is staring at your character's lifebar for 15 minutes. But to each his own, I guess.

• Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Muddah

There was nothing tactical about the combat in that video.

I'm sorry but I work for a living as well as have other engagements. I do not have 17 minutes to waste on killing one monster before I can move on to the next. That's what annoys the crap out of me in games. When I kill one monster and then I sit around and wait for 5+ minutes staring at my character's life bar slowly and painfuly regenerating itself. Fast action, thats what keeps people playing, not sitting around waiting to regen for 15 minutes.

As far as realism goes, if someone stabbed you in real life, chances are you would be in the hospital or dead. Unless you deflected the stab or avoided it. If that is the case, then what is stopping you from continuing onward? If we're going to use the realism approach, after every fight in which you took damage, you should either be hospitalized or die of blood loss and/or infection. At the very least, you should suffer a penality to all of your stats because you can't expect to run as fast or fight as good with an open wound. Which brings me to my next point.

RPG combat is not realistic. There is nothing real about getting hit multiple times in the face with a mace and surviving. Therefore comparing RPG combat to real combat is pointless.

You're right about one thing though, these games are created so we can have fun. My idea of fun is fast-paced, action-filled combat. Judging from your post, it seems like your idea of fun is staring at your character's lifebar for 15 minutes. But to each his own, I guess.

Uh if a goblin stabs you while you are alone in the wilderness you are in trouble.  In real life a gut wound in the wilderness = long slow painful death.  Even a broken ankle from tripping in the wilderness can equal death.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I have to agree with Heartless.  If there is an over abundance of downtime, I would probably have to pass up on that game.  I don't play for long sessions and wouldn't like to have them filled with waiting around to recover.  This why games that are extremely group oriented are also in my "NO" list.  If I can only play for a couple of hours, which is very often the case, I don't want it spent looking for a group.  Now, if someone likes a game like that, and there are people such as McQuaid willing to create it for them... that's great.  It would be wonderful if everyone could have their perfect game.