Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAOC OR WOW!?!?!

12346»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I agree...Shadowbane started out fairly fun for me... (except for hideous server performance) and just when I thought I'd like it... some alliance formed on my server that destroyed every single city (including my guilds) during 3 am server raids.  With no place to train I felt closed out of the game and returned to DAOC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mtnj356mtnj356 Member Posts: 4
    I played both.  I think WoW is a horrible game.  Stick with DAoC.
  • HapacheHapache Member Posts: 74
    Wow is fun the first time through but dark age definaly has more playabilty as well as the best pvp i have seen.
  • RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159

Yeah there is no game like Dark age.

ITs the only game that has so much ( End Game Content ) unlike Warcraft where it just becomes an item grind game.

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

• vinylnomikovinylnomiko Member Posts: 51
    As suggest... PVP go DAOC ... PVE go WoW.

However, DAOC is now almost 7 years old. WoW is only 2. People may say on here that WoW beats DAOC... but you can't compare the two because of age difference.

DAOC was the best MMO until Blizzard released WoW. Its controls are dated and perhaps clunky but Mythic still makes a better MMO than Blizzard. They'll prove it when Warhammer is released. Better developers, better community managers, better products.

Considering Warcraft was made after Blizzard was denied the rights to Warhammer by Games Workshop.... Warcraft is essentially stolen... a few major retailors even refused to sell Warcraft because most of the content is carbon copy of Warhammer. I don't like Blizzard and won't buy any of their products now because they continually steal stuff from other companies. They're like the Puff Daddy of the MMO world.

Currently playing: Eve, DAOC, Warhammer
    Games I've beaten: AC, AO, CoH, DAOC, D&D, EQ, EQ2, FFXI, FlyFF, GW, Horizons, L2, Ryzom, Shadowbane, SpaceCowboy, SWG, UO, WoW
    Stay away from: Eudemons Online, DNL, and Roma Victor

• jwshaw88jwshaw88 Member Posts: 149
    I would say DAoC has the best PvP model in the MMO market (in my opinion), but the game is severely dated and they also lost a lot of following from some very loyal customers due to some changes they made to the game.  Nothing as drastic as SWG, but still, they made a PVE expansion that had bearing or relevance to PVP, which made an already poor PVE grind just that much worse.  The point to all this is, your population in DAoC would probably be so low right now that it just wouldn't be worth playing the game.  It saddens me to have to say that, but it's true and it was really a great game.  The bottom line is, PvP is not fun without players, if you can't fight anyone else, then you're stuck with PvE.  Hopefully one of the new more mainstream games like WAR or spellbourn will give us some decent PvP.  I would not, however, ever consider WoW PvP as anything other than a gank/grief fest.  I just didn't like it at all, DAoC spoiled my opinion for good I guess and the expectation is now set for new games to rank themselves against.
  • I began playing Dark Age of Camelot a short while ago, and I have been consistently impressed with the game. I spent over a year on World of Warcraft and have played many other MMORPGs, and while I have enjoyed almost every single one of them to incredible degrees, Dark Age of Camelot strikes me as one of the very best.

Yes, the game is terribly dated in some aspects, but surprisingly it holds up extremely well against newer offerings. At its core is a far more solid game, I feel, than World of Warcraft and many other online games. The main reason I tried Dark Age of Camelot was to familiarise myself with Mythic's work prior to the release of Warhammer Online, which I am highly anticipating; if the upcoming game can update the core system and be even half as solidly designed as this one, then...wow!

It's difficult for me to say whether World of Warcraft or Dark Age of Camelot is better than the other; to be fair, I haven't played the latter nearly long enough to really know. I loved World of Warcraft, but my initial reaction is that it offers a very different overall experience than Dark Age of Camelot, which feels like---to compare it to recent games---a weird combination of World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, sort of. On the technical side, World of Warcraft, as a newer game, is obviously 'better'; but Dark Age of Camelot does not seem too drastically outdated all these years after its release.

I hope that EA-Mythic can recapture the 'core' of Dark Age of Camelot and update the technical aspects with Warhammer Online; that would, I would imagine, be far more appealing to me than World of Warcraft's offerings. But we'll have to wait and see!

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    DAOC just turned 5 yrs old so it is not near 7.

There are plenty of people to kill in RvR.  I never have a problem finding them.  It just that some people's playstyles are not catered to at all times. 
    Originally posted by jwshaw88

I would say DAoC has the best PvP model in the MMO market (in my opinion), but the game is severely dated and they also lost a lot of following from some very loyal customers due to some changes they made to the game.  Nothing as drastic as SWG, but still, they made a PVE expansion that had bearing or relevance to PVP, which made an already poor PVE grind just that much worse.  The point to all this is, your population in DAoC would probably be so low right now that it just wouldn't be worth playing the game.  It saddens me to have to say that, but it's true and it was really a great game.  The bottom line is, PvP is not fun without players, if you can't fight anyone else, then you're stuck with PvE.  Hopefully one of the new more mainstream games like WAR or spellbourn will give us some decent PvP.  I would not, however, ever consider WoW PvP as anything other than a gank/grief fest.  I just didn't like it at all, DAoC spoiled my opinion for good I guess and the expectation is now set for new games to rank themselves against.

While its true that DAOC's population is lower than in the glory days... I play on the Classic Cluster and I've got no problems finding plenty of players to fight with. Take last night, I was in the Molvik Battleground (Ivls 35-39) in my Ranger and someone said we had 50 people on the Hibernia realm side.  Assuming the Albion realm had about 65 (they always outnumber us) and the mids more like 35 thats almost  150 players running around in a single map. 

Trust me...I couldnt swing a stick (or shoot my bow) without some stealther trying to cap me.  Plenty of combat... lots of kills. i've been in Molvik for less than a week (and I sort of lack pvp skills too) and have participated in over 1200 kills with almost 100 deathblows.  Trust me..there are good players who can do damage like that in a day.... have a guild mate stealther who went 65-2 in Molvik on a single day... those were solo fights... (I avoid them...cause like I said...not so good in pvp)

So, in summary, still lots of action. Not sure how the population will fare once Vanguard and all the other new games come out this year... of course it will drop (hey, I'll be giving Vanguard a try) but time will tell if DAOC will last over the long term.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jwshaw88jwshaw88 Member Posts: 149
    Yeah, I run by camelotherald.com and check every now and again to see how many are online, and it's true, the RP servers and the classic servers do have a good number of folks during prime time.  I think my overall point was, though, that the population will probably not see a sharp increase in playerbase, particularly with titles like WAR coming up.  The grind to 50 (which is still where the most interesting RvR happens) is a slow and tedious one.  I would probably go back to playing DAoC if I knew folks would hang around for the next few years to come, but I just can't hope for that.  The other point would be that while the population is good during prime time USA, the population suffers horribly around 10am PST.....the highest server population was 350 people the other day when I was browsing the herald from work.  So, for just getting into a new game, I just can't toss my vote in with DAoC, no matter how much fun I've had with the game in the past.  I would "like" for new folks to try it and maybe bring some new blood to the game, but from a personal business standpoint, it's not a wise time investment any more (very unfortunately).
  • MalenMalen Member Posts: 8

I gotta say as a oldie of daoc I like daoc more then wow
    wow feels like a game for "S***** people" no brain is req to play it.

I would go like this start play daoc then get to know so much people you can and
    then have fun playing that and when most of the people talking about moving to Warhammer
    you follow those.

will ease up on skilling and the trouble finding a good guild..

Dark Age of Camelot Midgard

• PoweruserPoweruser Member Posts: 33

WoW is just a game ...

Daoc is passion , if u play once , u will never leave ...

Daoc : Hard xping     i)Very hard solo xping from 25++ lvl

ii)Very hard grp lvl if u dont find someone to pl u

Hard Gameplay      i) You will spend a lot months going from 1-50 , getting ML , CL's , Artifacts+template

If u want to enjoy some rvr ( and of course having a 2nd account as buffbot)

ii) Most of times u will get mad , why no one invite you to group, that happents coz none knows you

You have to spend half year , until u become skilled with your char and your role in combat...

Community            i) Very good ppls to talk with , kids arent a big trouble (they going wow

Realm v Realm     i)  Until RR5 u will be a easy target...

But still ... Its the best RVR game created EVAH !!

For all those things u should play daoc

WoW is a waste of time

• spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283
    Just wait andplaying something other than both of them.

Starting DAoC now is foolish.  By the time you reach 50 and begin RvR other games will be out.  Don't get me wrong, DAoC is a fine game (was the one I started with) but it's old and not getting any younger.
  • SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

The best times that I've ever had in a MMO game was in the early days of DAoC ( despite the balance difficulties   ). That being said, the game is coming to an end and would definately be hard to start off in and have any fun.

WoW is a better choice and will likely still be kicking 2 to 3 years from now.

• AesperAesper Member UncommonPosts: 90
    WoW has alot of content and plenty to keep you busy. Burning Crusade has made PvP pretty much useless for awhile until people stop grinding and start to PvP again for rewards at 70, but then again I dont really know how thats gonna pan out. Its been said that WoW is sugar coated, which is true, but between those two, all other games aside, you would be wise to go for WoW. Thing I dont like about it is that its rather instantly gratifying, requiring little effort. For some thats a plus,  but to me,  I like a more immersive experience.

EVE Online player since 2007.

"Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

- Oliver Goldsmith

• gimmeapennygimmeapenny Member Posts: 85
    How about not WoW and some other mmo. I would say choose DAoC, but if not dont go wow. Go EQ2 if you want a wow like game, Its a more in depth wow with an eq skin, its a lot better then WoW imo. keep in mind that i am very biased because I hate world of warcraft and most(not all) of its fanbase. I am an EQ elitist so I'm sure they don't like me either, but so far thats the only game i freak out about because its too overpopulated for being such a mediocre/EZ mmo, the biggest thing they did correctly imo is the graphics thing. manage to make a really pretty world because of their awesome color  without killing a pc. So a person that wants to be apart of a big mmo doesnt have to have a monster computer to play it.

If you want a good game with GODLY PvP go DAoC.

WoW's content includes raiding and uhh... uuuh. hrm.. raiding.. and raiding! if your into that go WoW i guess, but i still advise against it.

A long time? a more modern MMO has a larger fan base, DAoC has shrunk a tremendous amount. So I guess go WoW if you want.

Playing: EVE
    and you better care

I'm curerently a DAOC player (though going to give Vanguard a try for something different).  It has the best PvP.... hands down and WoW's pvp just went on hold for a while.... but....

Warhammer online is coming... but who knows when.. They say Sept... I say we' ll be doing great if it makes it by December... so figure it has at least 9 months of fun.... if you want more.... I'd hold out for Warhammer,  because I do feel that it will strip a large portion of the current DAOC player base away.... sure, some folks will stay because it offers a nice medevial environment... but it really will be a shell of a game then...(unless WAR sucks of course)

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Grandstar5

Should I pick DAOC OR WOW?!? NOW LISTEN! I want a mmo that will last for a LONG TIME. I want it to be fun, and have alot of people. How many people play daoc?!? I mean, I like the fact that around 6 mill play WoW. And dont just say. OMG PICK DAOC becuase you hate that wow is addicting! Please ^__^ THANKS!

based upon the vast wealth of information you've given in your query; i'd have to say the game for you is Hello Kitty: Island Adventure.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• crossemscrossems Member Posts: 1

I love reading the oppinions of everyone here about DaoC and WoW, you can tell there isn't a whole lot of emotions in their thoughts, because we both know what each game is, and what they arn't.

I played DaoC myself, since it first came out, then switched to WoW when it came out, along with my friends.  For their play style, they were pleased with the 'kill and shop' style of WoW.  For me, i liked the population numbers, and the graphics.  

I have now, however, switched back to DaoC, because WoW, has become for me the same problem that the best game ever ( World War II Online ) became, which was a game, that required me to stay logged on each night for 4 to 8 hours, in order to take part in the raids that my guilds required from me.  At that level, the fun disappeared, and so did my wifes support of my online habit.

After switching back to DaoC, i have discovered it is a completely different game from what I remember.  It isn't near the grind that WoW is, and what DaoC use to be.  You can now level quickly, which is nice I feel, in that you don't have to kill 1000 sprigans to show that you know how to use your new weapons style.  Overall, Mythic fixed virtually everything I didn't like, which was the wasted feeling of running around to start an adventure, only to get tired and log out.  Now you can teleport virtually anywhere, get a speed chant to run faster where you want to go, and purchase a horse to get there even faster then that...more time to actually have fun.

But...something was missing...the population.  Sometimes you feel like you are the only one in the world.  and for a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER game, thats a little discomforting.  So... i redefined what i was looking for in the game.

Now, a few select friends and I still log in, and decide what we want to do for an adventure, and enjoy the lack of other players crowding our camping sites, or competeing for kill zones in the dungeons.  When we want to go PVP, we love how the servers are joined, so there is always something going on out there.

In summary, if you want great content, but remove the requirement for the Massive Online Community, go DaoC, and get use to mythics interface and mechanics, in preparation for Warhammer, which I have no doubt they will do an even Better job on.

But don't dispair about the lack of other players.  Find some good freinds, and treat DaoC as a private MMORPG for a while.  And then get into the battlegrounds when you want to be schooled.

good luck

• kaltamkaltam Member Posts: 66

DaoC is far better than WoW. But if you want alot of people to play with you wont find that in DaoC.

I suggest you play EQ2.

Its not as good as DaoC but still better than WoW and has a lot of people to play with.

DL the trial version and see if you like it.

I've played all three and I really think EQ2 is your best shot.

• RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159
     Pre TOA   was a blast for me.

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile