Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Monster Play" PvP

Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

from a post on the LotRO PvP boards, based on feedback from the Leipzig game show. Sounds innovative and fun!:

In a nutshell, this is the impression I got from what Nik said:

At the character selection screen, you can select "Monster Play". This lets you play as a monster, such as a goblin. This is not a persistent character--it is a pre-made goblin, already set up with equipment, skills, hotkeys, etc.

As a goblin, you will have monster quests. Some will involve killing good NPC's. Some will involve patrolling special PvP zones and killing players. Either way, player-controlled monsters will be restricted to certain areas. By completing your quests and/or killing good guys, you get points--let's call them "Monster Points" (MP's).

MP's can be used to buy long-lasting (but non-permanent) buffs for your good-folk character, or they can be used to buy a Monster Play session that will let you play something more powerful, like an Uruk-hai or troll. You are only paying for a single such session though--in order to continue playing as a bigger, badder monster, you will have to earn more MP's. Of course, the quests for bigger monsters will also yield MP's (perhaps enough to keep playing that monster).

I asked Nik if all playable monsters will be humanoid in shape, or whether there will be more exotic monsters (after all, we can play orcs and trolls in WoW ). He said there are definitely more exotic choices, but he would not go into detail (he's so miserly!).

This, of course, is all from my hazy memory of listening to Nik in a very crowded and loud exhibition hall, so believe at your own risk!

One other thing: I believe I recall that Nik confirmed that there will be group monster missions. So you and your friends could form a merry band of spiderlings if you were so inclined.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
Kili - WoW
Eol - Lineage 2
Camring - SWG
Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

Comments

• HreidmarHreidmar Member Posts: 2

That sounds undeniably fun :D

• norse25norse25 Member Posts: 98
    Innovative, but I would only play this Monster PvP if it helped my main in some way.  This being said, if the  Monster PvP is an exretemely fun distraction, then it could add life to the game.  The distraction in WoW is to have an army of alts

• ROOKZ1ROOKZ1 Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by norse25
    Innovative, but I would only play this Monster PvP if it helped my main in some way.  This being said, if the  Monster PvP is an exretemely fun distraction, then it could add life to the game.  The distraction in WoW is to have an army of alts

According to the article, achievements made as a minion of Sauron apparently can help your good-guy character, if that's the direction one chooses to go... definitely interesting and a neat spin on the traditional PvP gank-fest!
  • volanorvolanor Member Posts: 4
    sounds cool to me! i wasn't expecting any pvp at all with lotro, but if they want to have it, it will make the game a well rounded one. i do like the idea of playing as a minon of sauron can get your good character skillz and stuff. Cause once in a while its good to fight for the bad guys as well
  • norse25norse25 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by ROOKZ1

Originally posted by norse25
    According to the article, achievements made as a minion of Sauron apparently can help your good-guy character, if that's the direction one chooses to go... definitely interesting and a neat spin on the traditional PvP gank-fest!

Ah yes, you're right.  I focused on the part that said the benefits would only be temporary, but the article does say that there would be some benefit to the good-guy toon.
  • ROOKZ1ROOKZ1 Member Posts: 21

I think one idea that MPvP would allow would be to play out the 'big battles' of LoTRO... not all the time, perhaps every 3 months or so but having folks sign up for the next battle between Rohan and the Uruk-Hai at Helm's Deep (when the Rohan expansion rolls out), the Lothlorien siege (which is mentioned in the Appendicies) and so on... even the biggest battle of them all... Pellenor Fields!

Just an idea... but I like it!

Bring on Beta!