Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video from the Liepzig convention

TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

A video from the convention here in Germany. It loops so its not as long as it claims. Its only about 4 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5-bOxqZYfI 

I gotta say, the graphics/artstyle are not all that impressive. This games strength is going to have to be its gameplay. The world looks pretty bland in most of the videos Ive seen (including the ones deleted this morning from the beta) I like the boats but that doesn't necessarily help the gameplay.

The amount of features sounds pretty good. IF the quest system is worth a damn I might give it a try. Without a super strong quest system to support a PvE game what else can it bring? Kill task? We already know from past experience that games that don't bring enough content or good content, trainwreck. I haven't seen anything about this caravan system in action and still no real details on the diplomacy sphere. The combat looked very slow and dry in everything I've seen so far as well.

I know crafting is suppost to be a strength but I haven't seen anything about that in action. Like I said, IF the gameplay isn't that good, the game is done.

I hope it is good. I need something new to do beside hop back and forth between WoW and L2. Sorry to get down on this game, I'm waiting for that video or pic or anything to make say "Wow, I gotta play this!" so far I'm still waiting. Still getting that feeling its EQ2.5  

Comments

• VelricVelric Member UncommonPosts: 140

Originally posted by Torak

I gotta say, the graphics/artstyle are not all that impressive.

Have you been watching the same videos and seeing the same pics as the rest of us? You might dislike the style, which is more realistic than many of the current MMOs (anime style of Lineage 2, comic book style of COH, cartoon style of World of Warcraft), but to say that the graphics themselves are unimpressive is a lie. There is no MMO on the current market that can compare to the graphical power that Vanguard is putting out there.
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I think "Lie" is a bit strong, try OPINION.

I'm trying to like the game if you bothered to read the message. And no, its not all that impressive, sorry. Thats my opinion. Why would I lie???? Maybe I'm wrong, who knows......(or cares?) Maybe its really supergame.

If it models EQ2's kill task system on top of looking similar, its gonna wreck.

• solymnarsolymnar Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Velric

I gotta say, the graphics/artstyle are not all that impressive.

Have you been watching the same videos and seeing the same pics as the rest of us? You might dislike the style, which is more realistic than many of the current MMOs (anime style of Lineage 2, comic book style of COH, cartoon style of World of Warcraft), but to say that the graphics themselves are unimpressive is a lie. There is no MMO on the current market that can compare to the graphical power that Vanguard is putting out there.

That's an extremely subjective statment Vel.

No question VG DOES have a powerful and flexible engine and that it is also a work in progress and will get better. 

But the graphics cranked out in Aion, SUN etc. are also absolutely gorgeous.  While their engines "may" not end up being as flexible (AKA less option for keeping things fresh down the road and also not able to handle as large a variety of textures or as many detailed objects at a time) they are certainly on par and arguably superior in the current videos and screen shots they deliver compared to VG.

Granted everything has its cost and I doubt that their graphics engines have the flexability of the VG engine, but that doesn't change the point that they certainly compare well in their current state with VG's in its current state.

I do expect that VG's will probably surpass them in many (most?) aspects by release but that is pure speculation.  As it stands though there are many games out there that I feel have considerably better looking character models (once again not nearly as flexable as the VG char models but we're talking looks).  The plastic/doughy skin on VG models sometimes just looks plain bad. 

Don't get me wrong, many of the VG screenies are simply gorgeous, but there are definitely other MMOs out there that can claim the same just as validly.

• solymnarsolymnar Member Posts: 85

I think "Lie" is a bit strong, try OPINION.
    I'm trying to like the game if you bothered to read the message. And no, its not all that impressive, sorry. Thats my opinion. Why would I lie???? Maybe I'm wrong, who knows......(or cares?) Maybe its really supergame.
    If it models EQ2's kill task system on top of looking similar, its gonna wreck.

Agreed.  There will be thousands of quests on launch, more than can be done your first time though, you simply will end up missing some content because there is too much, this is expected by the devs so they have a vet system for alts so that you can hand down gear from your main more easily. 

But if the quests don't have a compelling backstory, lack enough significant variety and feel, then it will simply be grinding with a different label.  And that would be a deal breaker for quite a lot of people.  So far I have read very little in terms of official faqs on what types of quests are available.  And its not from lack of keeping up on info released.

But as I say, we'll know by beta 5 one way or another.  In the mean time there is no penalty for being optomistic.  ;)

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Full version: Click.

... the graphics/artstyle ...

Frankly, I found them to be VERY impressive.  I suppose this is a matter of taste.

... looks pretty bland ...

Might I suggest your eyes have become used to the "brightly colored, cartoony and exaggerated graphics/artstyle" of WoW.  Therefore a more reality-based artstyle looks "bland."  Since I stopped playing WoW, my eyes have finally reverted back to seeing things normally and not in that WoW-fantasy-storybook way.

... combat looked slow ...

Seems you are repeating a Beta 1 mantra.  The combat does NOT look slow -- not at all.

... hop back and forth between WoW and L2 ...

God, no wonder you think Vanguard looks "bland."  Both those games have wildly exaggerated artstyles.  Bleh.  Well, I guess the kiddies like those games.  I certainly don't.

... EQ2.5 ...

Not even close.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

Full version: Click. <---- didn't work
    ... the graphics/artstyle ...
    Frankly, I found them to be VERY impressive.  I suppose this is a matter of taste.
    Subjective, sure
    ... looks pretty bland ...
    Might I suggest your eyes have become used to the "brightly colored, cartoony and exaggerated graphics/artstyle" of WoW.  Therefore a more reality-based artstyle looks "bland."  Since I stopped playing WoW, my eyes have finally reverted back to seeing things normally and not in that WoW-fantasy-storybook way.
    Maybe, again subjective for the mostpart
    ... combat looked slow ...
    Seems you are repeating a Beta 1 mantra.  The combat does NOT look slow -- not at all.
    I'm not repeating anything, look at the video I posted. I WATCHED the combat and it looked slow. Again maybe thats subjective
    ... hop back and forth between WoW and L2 ...
    God, no wonder you think Vanguard looks "bland."  Both those games have wildly exaggerated artstyles.  Bleh.  Well, I guess the kiddies like those games.  I certainly don't.
    And you are implying I'm a kiddie? (thanks) No, unfortunately thats not the case my young peer.
    However the terrain thus far does look rather empty and bland. I don't know when the footage was made. Maybe it was old. Why they would use in the convention is a mystery if that is the case. The convention ended just the other day so........your guess is as good as mine.
    I think your stereotyping of games like WoW and L2 as kiddie games just because you don't like them is narrow minded and unfair. If you bother to get involved in the communities you would know that both games are like any other MMO's when it generally comes to players.
    I can appressiate that you like VG. I'm not saying it looks "bad" just not very fresh based on what I've seen is all.
    Personally, I feel there is nothing wrong with exaggerated artstyles. I played almost very MMO out there. They are games. They are NOT real worlds. They are for FUN and to enjoy, not to live "virtual lives" in. The realistic look is cool, I have no problem with it.
    Try not to talk down on other peoples opinions and other games so much, it invalidates your point. It makes you sound like an elitest a**. Other people have different taste. I was completely unawear that I was a lesser person for liking a different style game then you. I apologize. Please, if you have the time, enlighten me on what the proper taste in games is.
    I said I'm looking to like this game, all you did was hammer me and make sarcastic comments about my taste in graphics and call me a kiddie.
    ... EQ2.5 ...
    Not even close.
    Well, I think so Like I said, from what I've seen, GAMEPLAY needs to be strong in this game. I hope it is. I don't like seeing MMO's fail. Each one that does closes the western designers opportunity a bit more and right now, western designer need a win as they have bomb out on just about every release in the past 2 years. It may be a matter of time before no one in the western market wants to invest the money in designing these games anymore.
    MMO design in the west is hardly what I would call "healthy". this year alone DDO, D&L, RFO, and AA (which NCSoft wrote off 10 million dollars as a loss) all bombed big. SWG it self destructing, EQII has a pathetic amount of subs for the cost involved. (MMOCHART.com shows 175K) And that leaves WoW, who only saving grace is the fact it appealed to the rest of the gaming community besides MMOers like us. Oh and according to NCSoft, Guild Wars is also operating in the red (that means its losing money) So where does the market stand?