Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA VIOLATIONS!

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Greetings all!

I just wanted to create this sticky because there have been a disturbing number of people who are violating the NDA for LOTRO on a regular basis. That is something that will absolutely not be tolerated at MMORPG.com.

Bluntly put, it's breaking the law, and it causes headaches for everyone. Generally on the site, it happens once in a  while, but for some reason, with this game it's been happening at least once a day. 

Remember, a Non Discolsure Agreement is just that, an agreement that you will not discuss the project in question until the NDA has been lifted. They are common in the video game industry, not just for alpha and beta testers, but also for employees and developers.

Because of the number of NDA violations that  re happening for LOTRO, we will be enforcing that rule very strictly for the next little while.

I also feel the need to point out that saying things like "my sister is
in the beta and she says that it's great" is still breaking our
rules. Violation of NDAs, even as a third party, is still against our
rules.

Cheers,
Jon "Stradden" Wood

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• rigghawkrigghawk Member Posts: 22

Point in fact, to the best of my knowledge, none of these people have actually been accepted to beta yet nor have they accepted an NDA, so it would be impossible for any of these people to be in violation of any NDA they  probably can't even read yet (until they actually get into the beta program).

Rigghawk

Rigghawk

• EQTarbosEQTarbos Member Posts: 130
    Yes we had to sign the NDA and we had to doso before the game would install :)
    happy huntings

• BeldwynBeldwyn Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by EQTarbos
    Yes we had to sign the NDA and we had to doso before the game would install :)
    happy huntings

Funny how you break the NDA by telling people you are in the Beta in the thread telling people to not violate the NDA. Sounds like smart.
  • GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528
    The sad truth of it is that NDA's are practically worthless legally. They're really just an elaborate handshake and promise.  Even more ironically you'd think that having leaked data would make the site more popular and more visited by the curious!

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Yes but MMORPG.com is trying to be respected and trusted site.

Thus getting offers for exclusive betas , trials and interviews. I can fairly understand their stand on this .. and i guess we should respect it.

And anyway i dont need no leaked info to tell me LOTRO will suck

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• erirdarerirdar Member Posts: 6
    Is there a sign that they're ever going to drop the NDA? Because I am a hopeful beta-tester, but I am under the age limit.

Erirdar means lonely hunter in Sindarin

Originally posted by erirdar
    Is there a sign that they're ever going to drop the NDA? Because I am a hopeful beta-tester, but I am under the age limit.

They have said that they likely will drop the NDA during beta at some point, its not guarenteed when/if this will happen though.
  • SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Not being in beta means I can say "Turbine ruins every game they get their retarded hands on, and it will be no different with LORTO" right?

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• AstalonAstalon Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Sturmrabe
    Not being in beta means I can say "Turbine ruins every game they get their retarded hands on, and it will be no different with LORTO" right?

A very bold statement. The original AC has lasted an awfully long time and had a great following.

Granted AC2 was released a bit too early.. but was still a good game and did not ruin anything.

I would wait and see what happens with LOTRO before you jump to conclusions.

Astalon

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    DDO. thats all i am gonna say and needs to be said.
    Disregarding the fact that your completely off-topic, I'll just say this: None of the people that are waiting for this game care if you liked DDO. That's all that needs to be said.

And even though it might not hold up in court, doesn't mean you're free to break the NDA. There's a chance I could get away with murder, but that doesn't make it legal.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Has nothing to do if I like DDO or not. Ppl were talking about turbines chances of making a good game. I bring up DDO because it was a massive and huge flop much like AC2 which someone else brought up. And as far as off topic most things on these boards tend to swing from one side to another. 
    It is a valid point. DDO crushed my expectations for LotRO. It doesn't mean that the game can't still turn out great, but Turbine has to realize that for most, DDO came off as one of the worst "AAA" mmorpg titles launched in a long time AND that does effect people's hopes for this game. The answer is to make a great game. If they don't, they are done in the MMO genre.

Keep the DDO devs completely away from this title and I'll give it a chance. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Right, its begining to seem like AC1 was a fluke, and the money they made off of it they are becoming the Ewe Boll of MMORPGs

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Not sure how you can say that DDO is a huge failure ... it was designed for DD players and not really for the generic MMO audience, so in reality, if it has pleased that DD community, then it is a success. So far there seems to be little negative feedback from DD players, only from MMO players who do not like the DD game-style. For those generic MMO players the failure would be on them to try a game that they don't like the game-play style .....

• sik209sik209 Member Posts: 3
    You can't judge how a game will be before even playing it, simply stated.  And for the record, ive never played a mmorpg for over 200 hours (yes ive played almost every mmorpg) except for AC1 which i played for 3 years then on and off for another 3 years.

I wish i had emo grass.....

so that way it would cut itself

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Tetters

Not sure how you can say that DDO is a huge failure ... it was designed for DD players and not really for the generic MMO audience, so in reality, if it has pleased that DD community, then it is a success.

It didn't.

It was a horrific game. I'm suprised it's even still avaliable.

I have almost no faith in Turbine to make LoTR:O good in the least thanks to that one game.

• tigerrazztigerrazz Member Posts: 4

the characters on it suck have u been on the site www.lotr.com

i am not gay

Originally posted by tigerrazz
    the characters on it suck have u been on the site www.lotr.com  
    LOL! That site has nothing to do with this game.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    I love all these "experts" that can label a game a failure before they have played or have even seen a decent demo. I got news for all of you.....LOTRO is NOT DDO! Just go and read up on the game. It uses a completely different engine then DDO. DDO was designed to use the d20 style of turn based combat that AD&D is famous for. Some people love it, some despise it but that is what it was none the less. LOTRO uses a more traditional MMO combat engine. My only worry at this point is they are making it to WoW like. Not that I have anything against WoW it's just that it has been done and I'm hoping for something fresh out of this one. I guess we will all have to wait and see as noone here on this forum has played the game yet. Well except for the idiots breaking their NDA agreements. ;)

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• RK-MaraRK-Mara Member Posts: 641

Originally posted by Brenelael
     It uses a completely different engine then DDO.

Erm... Actually LOTRO uses same engine, but Turbine has probably tweaked it a lot.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by RK-Mara
    Originally posted by Brenelael
     It uses a completely different engine then DDO.
    Erm... Actually LOTRO uses same engine, but Turbine has probably tweaked it a lot.

Sorry, yes you are right. Engine was not the word I should have used there. What I meant was the combat style will be completely different as it's based on different principals. My basic point was that to judge a game you haven't even played yet is just 3rd grade mentality......"I don't like Carrots cause they LOOK yucky!!" That type of thing. image

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    NDA violations are running rampant on the hype-meter. I've already emailed but I don't think anyone noticed yet. 

• EiaeEiae Member Posts: 61
    I really hate betas. They ruin the game start in my opinion.
  • phanatxphanatx Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Eiae

I really hate betas. They ruin the game start in my opinion.
    how can you test a game without a BETA? O.o
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Tetters

Not sure how you can say that DDO is a huge failure ... it was designed for DD players and not really for the generic MMO audience, so in reality, if it has pleased that DD community, then it is a success. So far there seems to be little negative feedback from DD players, only from MMO players who do not like the DD game-style. For those generic MMO players the failure would be on them to try a game that they don't like the game-play style .....

Tetters you are completely dead wrong on this.

It wasn't made for us D&Ders, if it were they would have made it a fast turn based style and preserved all the 3rd edition rules.

We told them it was going to suck if it wasn't strictly D&D, they didn't listen.

We told them having the game completely instanced would result in garbage, they ignored it.

We told them Eberron wouldn't work, they know better....look where it got them.

We told them what we wanted, it didn't make a damn bit of difference.

Turbine ruined probably the one shot DnD had to become a MMORPG. Never will I forgive them, nor darken their doorway with my patronage ever again.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Thorn, you actually had the gall to post that in an NDA violations thread? Did you even think before you posted that? Did you even read the first post? You just violated the NDA and not even in a small way. You can't even SAY you're in beta.

Delete your post because you're probrably now going to lose your beta access. It was not very intelligent to post it anyway.
This discussion has been closed.