Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding a new player

Greetings,

I am an experienced MMOer and PVPer, but I am new the DAoC and am trying the trial memebership to see if this is a game I would enjoy.  Can anyone recommend a starting profession/race that would give me a good feel for the game.  High survibility and the ability to look around and check out the "lay of the land" so to speak, are the primary things I would be looking for in a starting character.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your consideration.

Not all wanderers are lost...

Not all wanders are lost.

Comments

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

If you choose Midgard you could choose the Bonedancer or Spiritmaster if you want to be a magicuser. Both are good in RvR and PvE.

The other to realms I have no opinion about...I just like to kill them :)

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    One thing about doac ... there are a TON of classes and spell /spec lines. so there are a ton of things one could play.

AS for midgard , for best solo ability pick a valk . start as a fighter (whatever its called) they are great with shields and or swords (1 and two hand) plus they can heal themselves very well in and or out of combat. Also a great pvp toon.
    Bonedancers are also good but alot of restign power with them ... pick a valk.
    WArlocks are great mid solo caster, becuase they can power regen buff themselfs and lifetap to get hp back, but they been nerffed to heck and well are not worth playign to rvr at 50 anymore.

AS for hibernia. Vampires are the most noob friendly toon EVER. why they nuke/heal/tap while in combat. and they are ALWAYS buffed . (these guys get there power (think mana) from goinf damage so the more ya hit a person or mob the more u can heal yuorself , nuke the mob etc. Even ebtter in daoc you use enduence to do weapon style (which hit twice if not more as hard as unstyled hits) well the vampier steel a enemies end and give it to themselves (it costs a bit of power but you get that back just by using the style and doing more damage) . downside this class is viewd as a loner class, which si odd becuase it works well in groups, not at lvl 50 tho , but great start toon and a great toon for farm money with.

Also in hib valewalkers are a great toon the solo quite well but they are one of the harder toons to use well so id stay away from it.

Also in hib mentalists are a great solo caster , start off mana (dots and hots) and youll get a power regen spell liek the lock (but its castable on friendlies) and once mana to about 24 switch to light . Off the bat youll have to double dot a target and then keep away from ti while it dies takes a little bit of work but it works (maybe use a few base line weak nukes) then once your light starts getting higher you can use spec nukes from the light lien to hit alot more. .. also u coudl split mana and light spec most peopel will tell you to NEVER do this with  a caster and they are often right... but menties are allowed to :) At high levels can charm well.

AS for albiaon.... Friars are NOW even MORE PIMP then before they hit ahrd with a two handed staff, can heal themselfs buff themslefs,  nice style procs heals and dds , they evade attacks like mad , and nice abs if specd right. Great farmign toon and easy to use toon , and work well in groups.

also albs, reavers are ok soloers becuase they get hp tapping styles and hp tap spells and hp tab weapon proc buff , so they can healthemselves ok , but no active heals so they are just a ok soloer, but one of the better pvp toosn and fun toon all around.

Aslo albs , hertics , these crazy toons can tank and hit ok , or tnak and nuke ok . soem buffage and tankage and pick between nukage or hittage. good toon but i really don't care much for them.

AS a caster in alb SORCS are Gods everyoen will tell you ... becuase its true.  i also split spec witht hem a bit. you can power regen yourself , lifetap , charm a pet (which is a great charm as once you charm him hes yours until you let him go or he dies) (but i always loved charming healing pets or nukign pets , like 1 sorc and 1 reaver is a GREAt combo ... why there are no heals .. well if you charma  pet that heals it will heal not only himself and you but your GROUPMATES , and they often buff yourgroupmates also, but casters and ehalers are rare but tehre are site that list them). Sorcs lifetap is also one of the most powerful nukespells in the game, they also have aoe mezz at BOLT range , they lso have well they are the perfect caster so you can do anythign you want with a sorc.

IN alb just for fun if ya want make a thurg , they stuck to solo level however spec ice or air or even earth will do but id do ice or air, and take him toa  battleground , anylevel and just spam your pets on him (they have castable short duration attack pets no matter what u send it on if ya get 5-7 off which u most likly will its dead , u just totaly ganked a person gratz.  But they are a PAIN to lvl , so id jsut make one to liek 5-10 or somethign and gank away ina  bg if not try to egt one to 24 ther eare tons of people in thiranike the 20-24 lvl bg .

anyquestiosn post them here

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• TaowalkerTaowalker Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for all the information, I am definitely looking forward to checking things out.  Thanks again.

Not all wanders are lost.

• rATIxrATIx Member Posts: 67

Don't even dare to play a vampiir...

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64

As a new player, a pet class might be useful for the fact that gear doesn't matter that much as the pet will do most of the beating.. whereas if you start with a tank class, your gear will be rather important.

Pet classes:

Albion realm
    - Sorcerer: can charm pets upto his own level
    - Cabalist: can summon different types of pet
    - Minstrel: can charm pets above his level

First 2 are magic types, last one is a stealther/melee type.

Hibernia
    - Enchanter: can summon different pets
    - Mentalist: can charm pets above level

Both magic types.

Midgard
    - Bonedancer: can summon different pets (and more than 1). Can be a problem in instanced dungeons because pets tend to go thru the walls (!).
    - Spiritmaster: can summon different pets, but the highest pet is usually the best to use.
    - Hunter: can charm insects (useless) and summon a pet.

Bonedancer and spiritmaster are magic, hunter is a rogue/archer type.

As for bonuses to easy levelling.. both sorcerer and mentalist have a buff to increase power regen and have a speed buff so you move faster. The minstrel has songs that regen health or power and has the highest possible speed (200% whereas the 2 casters only have 150% speed increase).
    For the minstrel the gear will be somewhat important since you will most likely help your pet in melee and thus draw aggro every now and then. Same goes for the hunter, but his pet will be lower level so he will have to melee quite a bit more than the minstrel. (or shoot with his bow, but that requires arrows you need to buy).

Cabalist, Enchanter, Bonedancer and Spiritmaster can heal their own pets. Minstrel can use health regen on pet, but it is slower and you need to twist between the regen and the charm, else you loose your pet charm.

A good site to get a good idea what each class can do is:
     http://daoc.catacombs.com/cbuilder.cfm

but the site hasn't been updated in a while, so a couple of things are incorrect. There's also a windows utility to spec classes at:
      http://daoctb.sourceforge.net/

that one is up2date.

I hope this helps.