Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the Free Trial thing sux but does the real game 2?

BigTastyBigTasty Member Posts: 45
Guys, i've played the free trial thing.. and i thought that it sukked.. but ev'ry one playing the real game says its good. i wanna know is there a big difference b'tween dem

Comments

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

You might try stating why it sucked for you? First of all, the trial IS the real game. It is the original AO. Now, as far as the expansions: Alien Invasion gives you new weapons/armor/alien playfields/city benefits/global shop search;

Notum Wars gives you the ability to have towers and adds more pvp playability;

Shadowlands adds a new world/armor/weapons/professions/advanced xp

You can get all the expansions for $10 and then choose a payment plan for subscribing. However. if you think AO sucks because of the amount of braincells you have to use in order to get the best out of it;i.e. implants/twinking/etc., then you just need to find another game. AO is not intended for WoW crowd or someone who wants to just level with very little thought involved.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    i have found that all free trials generally suk, as they dont allow you to fully discover the content or just cut u off at a ceartain lvl, try it for 2 months to make a secure decision, i would reccamend that too all games with trials

playing eq2 and two worlds

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
      While the above post was a little antogonistic I would aggree this game has alot to offer with the expansions. Dont expect it to get any easier. Whenever I take breaks from the game I have so much to relearn. The implant and skills system is SOOO complex. Very fun though with the fairly meanigful pvp and city building:D

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

I wouldn't say it sucks, but there are some problems with the game.  First the good, customizing your toon is really cool, i'm on a free account and have a 70 explorer when you get the right complement armor/programs/implants the game is a blast to play.  I solo alot and since you can change the difficulty before going into the mission you can "gauge" how your toon is doing at your current lvl.  The combat has depth and for the most part is a great time and with SWG now a steaming pile this is the only ground sci fi mmo out there that I can think of.

Now the bad, this game needs a new graphics engine soooo bad.  I'm running a high end rig and it still lags all to hell, has glitches in the graphics and framerate chugs in what seems like empty spaces.  If they created a new graphics engine I think I would become a pay customer no questions asked but as is I tinker with it on the side.

If you weren't able to figure out the implant and program system then this game is definitely not for you.  I spent a little time on line and figured out a path for my toon which helped because if you put points in the wrong areas you can really wreck your toon by accident.

Hope this helps

Peace

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

It's been an awful long time since I played, but if the free trial doesn't include some of those expansions then I can very easily understand why a new player would say it "sux".

Like I said, I haven't played for a while but when I did the only noob action was happening in the Shadowlands starting area. The other starting areas were completely deserted. If I'd only played in those largely empty noob areas that were part of the original game then I probably wouldn't have given AO more than 10 hours, tops.

• McYodaMcYoda Member Posts: 40
    I played the free, original game for around ten months or so, I got bored in the middle but continued after a short month's break. Then, out of curiosity, I got the expansions and for a while I had blast.

But in the end, it's the same game, really. With different graphics, faster leveling in Shadowlands, of course expanded content but yeah. The free version is pretty much the same game. So, if you didn't like the complexity of the game or lack of credits (which is a big flopside, the retarded economy I mean), you probably won't like the expanded game either. It even adds another thinkpiece, the Perks.

But if you just wanted more population, maybe faster leveling as in more grinding but also more xp/monster, you should at least take a 7 days' trial in Shadowlands and see for yourself.