Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does anyone think turbine can actually do something good for once ?

I mean seriously guys, it's Turbine we're talking about here. Remember Asheron Call 1 & 2 ? I've played the second and i can tell you straight away that it was one of the worst games i've played online ( and i've played quite a few and still do). Their custommer support was a joke. They never cared about ppl playing it. The bugs were destroying whatever was left from the game experience and their ingame mods were just a bunch of ppl who had no clue about the game whatsoever.Turbine has proven itself as one of the worst companies out there. I for one i am not going to judge LOTR online based on god knows what demos or pictures released god knows when. As a former AC2 player i judge them by what i saw myself. There is no way in hell i am going to play anything made by this crap company.

Comments

• Ka7raKKa7raK Member Posts: 59
    I definitely agree!

I can't predict what will become of LotR Online but i just hope they won't mess things up this time. I pray for LotR because it's a very, very good license and if they blow it up this time, they're screwed because nobody will play their games anymore. Beware Turbine!

Blog Portugu

• emremfemremf Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by eidand 

There is no way in hell i am going to play anything made by this crap company.

I agree.           
  • NoVu5NoVu5 Member Posts: 50

There is no one that I haved talked to, no one, that played
    Asherons Call ONE that has not said that it was probably the funnest time they have
    ever had in an MMO, from the time of UO until now.  I regret to this day
    that I did not get around to playing it, because everyone I have talked with,
    everyone, raves about it.  And I should qualify that statement.  I am
    talking of experienced MMORPG players, with scores of game titles under their
    belt.  I am not talking about people who have played WoW and maybe one
    other MMO in their lives and now consider themselves to be "experts"
    when it comes to playing MMO's.

The title of your post indeed, belies the fact that you are relying on
    fallicious reasonings and illogical conclusions.

I quote from "The College Writer - A guide
    to Thinking, writing and researching" by VanderMey, Meyer, Van Rys,
    Kemper, Sebranek"
    showing that the very title of your post shows
    the fallicious reasoning you are using.

“Avoid all-or-nothing extreme claims.  Propositions containing words that are overly
    positive or negative . . .[it] may be difficult to support.  Statements that leave no room for exceptions
    are easy to attack.” – page 259

“Use qualifiers to temper your claims” (Which you did not
    do) – page 259

“Drawing Faulty Conclusions from the Evidence – Hasty or
    Broad Generalization.  Such a claim is
    based on too little evidence or allows no exceptions.  IN jumping to a conclusion, the writer may
    use intensifiers, . . . [example] Todays
    Voters spend too little time reading and too much time being taken in by 30
    second sound bites
    (Objection: Quite a few voters may, in fact, spend too
    little time reading about the issues, but it is unfair to suggest that this is
    true of everyone)

You played Asherons Call 2, and you may have justifiable reasons for your
    feelings for THAT particular product.  That does not mean that all of
    Turbine
    , and every product they every make is bound for
    failure.  You sampled one product.  That's it.  And now you have
    judged the company for all time.  Now if you had sampled, and personally
    played all or 90% of their products, that may be a different matter.  But
    you'd still have to present your argument with a lot more logic than what you
    did.

In my personal opinion, that's not what I would call very wise.

Am I saying that LOTRO will be great?  No.  Am I saying it will be a
    failure?  No.  I'm simply saying - use a better line of reasoning if
    you want me to take you seriously.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    After DD0 I really doubt they can do anything good.

However saying that SoE really has done a good job with EQ2 so companies can change.  I am just a bit less forgiving because D&D Online was suppose to be my game =(

• fkruegerfkrueger Member Posts: 6
    I played AC1, and loved it.  I'm really looking forward to playing LoTRO.
  • opticstudiosopticstudios Member Posts: 2
    So far Turbine has a very poor track record.  That could mean that LOTRO will really suck, or it means that it will be just THAT much more sweet and awesome.  Either way we all know everyone will try it.  I mean come on it's Lord of the Rings.

NoVu5 

But you shouldn't be so angry just because people are hanging out at the forums and posting their opinions with agressive facts that can be denied. Take it easy!

Blog Portugu

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by Ka7raK
    NoVu5 

But you shouldn't be so angry just because people are hanging out at the forums and posting their opinions with agressive facts that can be denied. Take it easy!

Sorry.  What does "agressive facts that can be denied" mean? 
  • starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Think positive......

I am always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. Its possible that they have realized their past mistakes and will rectify them in this fresh attempt. I love the LOTR lore as do many hundreds of thousands of fans. I will be trying it just for the experience of plauing in tolkiens magnificent world.

All I can say to turbine is

Good luck and Godspeed.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

Originally posted by Signe

Originally posted by Ka7raK
    NoVu5 

Sorry.  What does "agressive facts that can be denied" mean? 

Cause you said avoid extreme affirmations or something like that. It's in that text you brought from somewhere else. The idea is that i post to be denied. I have no personality.

Blog Portugu

• xblast5000xblast5000 Member Posts: 68
    I've played the beta the game is actaully pretty fun.  The game seems to be a combination of WoW, EQ, and lotr.  Of course atm the game is still buggy and unstable hopefully the game will be in beta for awhile so there are minimal bugs at launch.

• PaladiusPaladius Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by eidand
    I mean seriously guys, it's Turbine we're talking about here. Remember Asheron Call 1 & 2 ? I've played the second and i can tell you straight away that it was one of the worst games i've played online ( and i've played quite a few and still do). Their custommer support was a joke. They never cared about ppl playing it. The bugs were destroying whatever was left from the game experience and their ingame mods were just a bunch of ppl who had no clue about the game whatsoever.Turbine has proven itself as one of the worst companies out there. I for one i am not going to judge LOTR online based on god knows what demos or pictures released god knows when. As a former AC2 player i judge them by what i saw myself. There is no way in hell i am going to play anything made by this crap company.

In my opinion, Turbine has done a good job with DDO, so I'm looking forward to playing LOTRO.  I never played Asheron's Call so I cannot comment on that game.
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Signe

Originally posted by Ka7raKNoVu5 But you shouldn't be so angry just because people are hanging out at the forums and posting their opinions with agressive facts that can be denied. Take it easy!
    Sorry.  What does "agressive facts that can be denied" mean?  image

Facts that are high aggro ::::02::

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by NoVu5
    There is no one that I haved talked to, no one, that played Asherons Call ONE that has not said that it was probably the funnest time they have ever had in an MMO, from the time of UO until now. I regret to this day that I did not get around to playing it, because everyone I have talked with, everyone, raves about it. And I should qualify that statement. I am talking of experienced MMORPG players, with scores of game titles under their belt. I am not talking about people who have played WoW and maybe one other MMO in their lives and now consider themselves to be "experts" when it comes to playing MMO's.The title of your post indeed, belies the fact that you are relying on fallicious reasonings and illogical conclusions.I quote from "The College Writer - A guide to Thinking, writing and researching" by VanderMey, Meyer, Van Rys, Kemper, Sebranek" showing that the very title of your post shows the fallicious reasoning you are using.“Avoid all-or-nothing extreme claims. Propositions containing words that are overly positive or negative . . .[it] may be difficult to support. Statements that leave no room for exceptions are easy to attack.” – page 259“Use qualifiers to temper your claims” (Which you did not do) – page 259“Drawing Faulty Conclusions from the Evidence – Hasty or Broad Generalization. Such a claim is based on too little evidence or allows no exceptions. IN jumping to a conclusion, the writer may use intensifiers, . . . [example] Todays Voters spend too little time reading and too much time being taken in by 30 second sound bites (Objection: Quite a few voters may, in fact, spend too little time reading about the issues, but it is unfair to suggest that this is true of everyone)You played Asherons Call 2, and you may have justifiable reasons for your feelings for THAT particular product. That does not mean that all of Turbine, and every product they every make is bound for failure. You sampled one product. That's it. And now you have judged the company for all time. Now if you had sampled, and personally played all or 90% of their products, that may be a different matter. But you'd still have to present your argument with a lot more logic than what you did.In my personal opinion, that's not what I would call very wise.Am I saying that LOTRO will be great? No. Am I saying it will be a failure? No. I'm simply saying - use a better line of reasoning if you want me to take you seriously.

AC 1 was alright. I played it from launch for about 4 years. However it was in last place of all the MMO's released at the time. The people that played it loved it but there was only 4 choices then, one of which most never had heard of. They were Meridian 59, Ultima Online, Everquest, and Asheron's Call. If I had my choice of any to play it would have been UO first, EQ second, AC third.

Turbine has never had a wildly rampant blowing the charts release, they have always been second or third and at one time was a successful design for AC 1 no longer cuts it in the MMO world.

From what I understand about LotR is they are actually going to just make another typical fantasy MMO clone which may give it some potential for atleast treading above water and gaining the people that just absolutely have to play a Middle Earth based game. However I highly doubt Turbine is going to break their track record and actually make a huge success, they just don't understand the concept of fun well enough.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• xxariochxxxxariochxx Member Posts: 97

Ill just have to wait and see as too the game but one thing is for sure this is a  last chance for turbine with me they killed ddo outright man did they so last chance turbine......

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Turbine is batting 0-3 with me so far. Hated everything up to now. The biggest reason I was bummed when I saw LOTR was going online was finding out Turbine wasmaking it. Raping D&D llike they did drove the nail in more.

Originally posted by xxariochxx
    Ill just have to wait and see as too the game but one thing is for sure this is a  last chance for turbine with me they killed ddo outright man did they so last chance turbine......

It's the last change for Turbine with everyone, if LotR doesn't do well they won't be able to keep the lights on.

- Scaris

• KhalerKhaler Member Posts: 1
    I was in the beta test for DDO.  I didn't like the instancing, the heal/recoup only in an Inn and the claustrophobic feeling the city gave you.  Personally I didn't like DDO much at all.  The dungeons didn't thrill me, and "bash a barrel" got old real quick.

LOTRO IS NOT DDO! 

The design has almost nothing in common with DDO.

The DDO beta was tiring and tedious.  I found myself not wanting to fire it up but did anyway to help send feedback.

LOTRO is nothing like that at all. ;)   Nuff said.   Now if I could just get some friggin sleep.

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

Funny how people have bad experiences with companies and sort of hate them forever.  I think this is especially strong in the mmorpg world where you invest so much time in your character and the social group you belong to and the world itself.  Its a dynamic that just isn't there in single player.

My own pretty brief experience with Turbine was DDO, which was nice, but I didn't care for the instanced world and the forced grouping aspects.  I thought they did a great job with their community there, however, and they are very interactive with their LOTRO community.  Coming from the great empty pit of communication that is Galaxies, these guys are a breath of fresh air.  They seem very excited about their game, they answer questions from players about why things are the way they are design wise.  They have an overall plan they are sticking to, no waffling this way and that and reinventing day by day.  I expect them to be very successful with LOTRO.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

So... there we have it...

• AC1 was considered be a third tier game even in it's heyday.
    • AC2 was considered even lower in it's.
    • DDO was a travesty in just about every sense.

and you want me to trust this pedigree and buy into this game?

lol

• TordenskjoldTordenskjold Member Posts: 16

If Turbine did not bought Asheron's Call 1 back from Microsoft, Microsoft would have closed Ashero's Call for long time ago because Microsoft did not make enough money. "Microsoft needed more money...hmm"  Turbine care alot about subscribers, Asheron's Call 1 would not have been here without Turbine, I have played Asheron's Call 1 since 1999 and still playing it, 1000's of ppl enjoying the best mmo game ever, thanks to Turbine. 

Turbine knew that Asheron's Call 1 would be a stable incoming when they bougth it from Microsoft, and even have money enough to develope new games as DDO and LOTRO

LOTRO gonna be awsome, and im glad Turbine is the developer, they are the best developer company.  

• cchristiancchristian Member Posts: 15

Bah. AC was a great game. It was fun. It had a LOT of positives. It had plenty of innovative ideas for its day. I've thought about firign my account back up on a number of occasions!

AC2 had its positives as well, though fewer in my opinoin. I did like the eye candy, but I would have prefered to see the original AC game updated with the graphics of AC2.

DDO... meh. I would have to agree it wasn't good. JMHO as a 25+ year vet of D&D and 10+ of MMOs. I would have goen a different route. It's still quite young though... if there was any one good thing that the dreaded SWG CU showed us... it is that a copmany can completely rewrite a game after release. Perhaps they will get things in order eventually.

Most importantly... as others have said... LOTRO is not AC, AC2, nor DDO. And it looks awesome. I was VERY happy when Turbine took over the project! I can't wait to get into Middle Earth. The released comments bring little details to light for me that I am soaking up. The fact that at least some people are having such a positive experience in Alpha is promising in and of itself.

In short... if you have no faith, be sure to keep me in mind as a sub for you if you happen to get into Beta ;)

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

DDO will seem like an enormous success when they compare it with the SUBSCRIPTIONS they get for that one.

Call me a doomsayer, I will just say they can raid their EPIC *censured*.  I don't see why anyone sane would consider this game UNLESS they actually are part of the minority that enjoy raiding.  Big disappointment coming...

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• TypeoTypeo Member Posts: 1
    AC1 was the greatest MMO ever made and still is to this day.  Played since beta and have yet to find an MMO as enjoyable.
  • geckomangeckoman Member Posts: 8

I have no experience whatsoever with any previous games Turbine has done, so I have no preconceived notions as to their abilities or lack thereof.  I have been hanging out at the official LOTRO forums for about 4 months now and have seen a lot of critiquing of the game design and various lore discrepancies, but overall the response I have seen is that Turbine is doing a good job and people cannot wait for this game!

I for one have been impressed with what I have seen so far in the development of this game, not everything of course, but especially in reading through the submitted dev diaries I really believe that Turbine is trying to get this game "right".  The level of commitment that I have seen displayed by the developers, in and of itself, makes me positive about this game, but as we all know time alone will tell!!