Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return to UO?

cpaw88cpaw88 Member Posts: 48
Since UO is getting a new Graphics Engine, which frankly doesn't matter to me.  (Still a NES Player) I use to play UO for years and years but is the community dead?  Is it worth coming back and paying the monthly fee to be alone in the game?  So I thought I would ask anyone currently playing if its worth the time and money to return to a once great game.

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by cpaw88
    Since UO is getting a new Graphics Engine, which frankly doesn't matter to me.  (Still a NES Player) I use to play UO for years and years but is the community dead?  Is it worth coming back and paying the monthly fee to be alone in the game?  So I thought I would ask anyone currently playing if its worth the time and money to return to a once great game.

I still know plenty of people who actually play on the official servers.  According to them it's still pretty populated (Atlantic Server).  I don't know folks on any other shards.  Personally, right now, I play on a 'classic' shard.  But if the revamp hits I plan to re-up to at least try it out with the new graphics and other changes they're putting in.  I may or may not stick with it but I do intend to at least give it a try. 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    I'm going to give it a try too.  I also think that the people in the Official servers are more the UO people...compared to the Free server people.  Too much immaturity in the unofficial servers.

I too, will give the new re-vamp UO a try when it comes around.  I still think this was the best MMO by far.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• galefan2004galefan2004 Member Posts: 127
    The new graphics are a last ditch effort to try to fix the game. The game play still hasn't been decent in the last 5 years, and every change they make just manages to break things even more. Don't let new graphics that are still outdated (they look like the graphics from 5 years ago which is when they should have made this update) lure you back into a game that has horrible HORRIBLE issues.
  • galefan2004galefan2004 Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by MaeEye
    I'm going to give it a try too.  I also think that the people in the Official servers are more the UO people...compared to the Free server people.  Too much immaturity in the unofficial servers.

I too, will give the new re-vamp UO a try when it comes around.  I still think this was the best MMO by far.

Have you played the official servers? There is just as much immaturity on the official servers as well.
  • vengeful85vengeful85 Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by galefan2004
    The new graphics are a last ditch effort to try to fix the game. The game play still hasn't been decent in the last 5 years, and every change they make just manages to break things even more. Don't let new graphics that are still outdated (they look like the graphics from 5 years ago which is when they should have made this update) lure you back into a game that has horrible HORRIBLE issues.

This is and has been the mainstay of the MMO market for nearly 9 years now!   You speak of "horrrible issues" but give no examples, what this leads me to believe is that your post is nothin but a game bashing rant from a WoW (or one of its clones) fanboy forum troll with either, no real concrete evidence of issues or no recent gamplay experiences.  This game is still alive and doing very well because it is quite "issue" free LOTS of fun, has tons to do, and has a very strong community and veteran player base.  The graphic #hores might be a lil put off at first because the game is designed to have ultra low system requirements but this only serves to make for a lag free  smooth runnin MMO.   But thats just my opinion as a long time (on and off again much more on than off, but i did dabble in the new generation MMOs and had to go back to UO to find quality gameplay)  player and  and i'm happy to give it..
  • Pasha_BigdogPasha_Bigdog Member Posts: 4

UO still got great gameplay. I still play it and there a lot of people and i play on Australian server! New graphics looks really good and UO needs it. And i do hate AoS. Classical server would be cool. I also got account in WoW and it is VERY borring. I only keep it to run with my guild. While UO always have something new to do. I change skill every month on my main to make some uber new class. And i do it for very long time. In wow i tried every class in like half a year and got bored with each and one of them.

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

I played UO back in 98 or 99. was pretty decent back then. I played on a 56k modem and lagged to hell most of the time. The straw that broke the camel's back was one night i went into this cave and got killed. I died like 3 or 4 times trying to get back to my body. Never made it before the body disappeared with all my items on it. that pissed me off so much i quit.

is it still like that?

• jippyukjippyuk Member UncommonPosts: 95

I remember sessions like that, where you'd be surrounded by tonnes of mobs, your mates had logged off for the night and you still needed to make your way back into the dungeon to get everything before it decayed.

Nightmare ;) I guess it still happens.... used to love that, was a serious challenge instead of just rezzing and paying 1g to repair everything lol

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    You can insure some items and it costs gold every time you die.

Problem of it is, that it screwed up crafting as no one loses anything anymore.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Originally posted by galefan2004

Originally posted by MaeEye

Have you played the official servers? There is just as much immaturity on the official servers as well.

Yes, I have played the official servers, for years.  Their are WAY more mature people playing them and actually RPers playing than on any free server (except the RP servers).
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491

Originally posted by cpaw88

I play on the Europa Server can tell you that is is full. Not as full as 3 years ago, but still full enough to be waiting at your fav pvm spot to become free ;)

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?