Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A pvp question

Are there goinng to be pvp outside the areneas or the shard conquest? Like zone pvp for example.
If not I am okey with the pvp arena and conquest

Cant wait for this game to release! Thank god Europe is the first release place

Comments

• NaazirNaazir Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by vikingpower

Are there goinng to be pvp outside the areneas or the shard conquest? Like zone pvp for example.

4.3 Will there by PvP combat in TCoS?
    There
    will without a doubt be more than one type of PvP (player vs. player)
    available within the game. We will offer the ability to engage in arena
    battles (which, to be fair, should be seen as far more exciting that
    typical arena fare in other MMOs as we’ve taken measures to make them
    more interesting) as well as PvP during other times. The exact scope of
    PvP will be tested in Beta and may be server-dependant upon release.

We realize that some individuals have a great deal of animosity towards
    PvP systems. This is one of the "sticky points" for MMOGs, and it’s not
    something we take lightly. In any given discussion you will hear people
    screaming for "full-PvP" as well as those who claim to never need to
    engage another player, and who fear "griefing" will be prominent in any
    game with PvP. We have designed the game from the ground up with the
    intention to include PvP. As such it is not an afterthought or a second
    priority. It will be balanced as such, alongside PvE (player vs.
    environment) combat.

The most important thing for us in designing the role of PvP in the
    game was simply to make it have a reason. There’s no point in killing
    people for the sake of killing them. That’s an artificial thing which
    can only happen in a game. In reality the people playing those
    characters would most likely shy away from most fights, let alone
    shootouts. As such, we wanted to provide impetus to actually want to
    engage in PvP when appropriate. In addition, we wanted to make a
    reasonable system which penalizes inappropriate and asocial behavior.
    These things being present make the PvP aspects of TCoS far more
    "livable" for the majority of players.
    Direct quote from tcos.com

-Naaz.
  • mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Member Posts: 274

TO be even more specific in one of the previews/interviews recently written up for the game a developer specifically mentions that if you want to gather resources for sigils and other equipment not only will mobs defend their lairs but also players can kill you in the areas with the more valuable resources needed for items.

• vivatmavivatma Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Naazir

The most important thing for us in designing the role of PvP in the
    game was simply to make it have a reason. There’s no point in killing
    people for the sake of killing them. That’s an artificial thing which
    can only happen in a game.

-Naaz.

Your statement is a bit naive. There's a motive for every action, even if you don't understand what it is. The reasons for killing are Greed, Hatred, Delusion and Ignorance. I'll skip to the ones most will have trouble understanding, if someone kills for power he is really killing because he is under the delusion, he has power over that person. As well, and not uncommon when combined with hatred, one kills in ignorance. Racists kill in the name of ignorance and hatred. If you think of PVP in games, with these reasons, you start to see it's not artificial.

I believe those who scream for PVP in games, are people who either want realism, or they want excitement. (Chaos is exciting. This btw is founded in delusion.) On the other end, those who scream for no PVP are people who wish for a level of harmony (which extends only to other human beings).

What then are game developers left to do? It depends on your motives. I myself would choose realism, because someone who doesn't PVP but is allowed should be acknowledged if not rewarded.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Originally posted by vivatma

Originally posted by Naazir

The most important thing for us in designing the role of PvP in the game was simply to make it have a reason. There’s no point in killing people for the sake of killing them. That’s an artificial thing which can only happen in a game.

-Naaz.

Your statement is a bit naive. There's a motive for every action, even if you don't understand what it is. The reasons for killing are Greed, Hatred, Delusion and Ignorance. I'll skip to the ones most will have trouble understanding, if someone kills for power he is really killing because he is under the delusion, he has power over that person. As well, and not uncommon when combined with hatred, one kills in ignorance. Racists kill in the name of ignorance and hatred. If you think of PVP in games, with these reasons, you start to see it's not artificial.

I believe those who scream for PVP in games, are people who either want realism, or they want excitement. (Chaos is exciting. This btw is founded in delusion.) On the other end, those who scream for no PVP are people who wish for a level of harmony (which extends only to other human beings).

What then are game developers left to do? It depends on your motives. I myself would choose realism, because someone who doesn't PVP but is allowed should be acknowledged if not rewarded.

It wasn't Naazir's statement.  If you read his post, you would see it was a direct quote from the TCOS website.  You should take your arguement there, rather than calling Naazir naive...

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• vivatmavivatma Member Posts: 15
    I was under the impression, Nazzir was the one who wrote the article. I didn't neglect seeing the quote statement. Merely unaware of Nazzir's role. I apologize to Nazzir, or anyone who took offense. Certaintly it's not my intention to do harm with my statements. Really, I would like to see people starting thinking of games in different ways. I see this as a step toward improvement. (Since my idea of gaming leans toward reality, I bring in realisms to create an interest in this direction.) I thank you for correcting my mistake. It was I who was naive in thinking game developers have enough time to respond to obscure topics about their game on MMORPG.

• havocthefirshavocthefirs Member Posts: 229
    Maybe there will be king of the hill pvp without looting of course. I remember when I was three it was so much fun.
  • havocthefirshavocthefirs Member Posts: 229

Did you ever think that maybe the motive was just the spirit of competition. PVP in games is nothing more than playing someone in tennis or golf, guild pvp is the same as team sports. As for people who dont want PVP its like playing a game of pool by themselves, I've seen people who were great at pool but when they played against someone else they choked horribly or cant make the big putts on the golf course under preasure.

If your trying to sound intellectual or like some kind of psych major I'm afraid the only delusion is you thinking your sounding intelligent.