Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic battles

2»

Comments

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283
    Aelfinn you just answerd your problem, what if the general saw the battle in a birds-eye view perspective telling people where to go.  Somone also said who would want to be a private?  Well I'm saying have NPC's be full time Privates fight with them or comand them.  Also you start off as a private work your way up.
  • QuikeGQuikeG Member Posts: 14

Hello, guys

Well, I might be a "rara avis" here, but I for one would love the type of battle I've described above.  I have no problem with being "just" a private/pawn/tiny bottom piece in a great battle, as far as I can enjoy the immersion in a meaningful and huge confrontation. I don't mind if someone else gives the orders, I'm in the frontline, fighting my way through, and the thick of battle can provide fun for everyone involved, be it Lord or pleb.

So hardcore players would be frustrated if they aren't the King that Rules the Army?  Let them compete for that position.  Let the hardest one lead the gang.  Let the other candidates be sergeants for army units. Let the rest be privates for that battle. 

My "concern" about huge battles without hierarchy is that they are all the same in the long run.

I see your point: few gamers would enjoy this setting, and you are probably right. And thanks for sharing your view.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    The battles where PCs and/or NPCs play a role of a pawn/soldier while being commanded by higher ranking PCs is a great idea, AND it works (most of the time) in a game called Planetside - a true PvP oriented MMOFPS. In there, a high level CR (Command Rank) players CAN give out orders (although you dont HAVE to follow them, usualy people do) to other troops. Granded it is often abused by immature people who managed to gain CR5 (the level required to be bale to talk in the global command chat) but it is rather uncommon. I think a strong RTS element in a MMORPG would benefit it greately. I love Army vs Army combat.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• Originally posted by JackBauer24
    Aelfinn you just answerd your problem, what if the general saw the battle in a birds-eye view perspective telling people where to go.  Somone also said who would want to be a private?  Well I'm saying have NPC's be full time Privates fight with them or comand them.  Also you start off as a private work your way up.

Work your way up.  Good luck on that when everyone else is working there way up and there is a fixed number of slots.

There is a reason many people retire at Lt. Colonel.

• Originally posted by QuikeG

Hello, guys

Well, I might be a "rara avis" here, but I for one would love the type of battle I've described above.  I have no problem with being "just" a private/pawn/tiny bottom piece in a great battle, as far as I can enjoy the immersion in a meaningful and huge confrontation. I don't mind if someone else gives the orders, I'm in the frontline, fighting my way through, and the thick of battle can provide fun for everyone involved, be it Lord or pleb.
    So hardcore players would be frustrated if they aren't the King that Rules the Army?  Let them compete for that position.  Let the hardest one lead the gang.  Let the other candidates be sergeants for army units. Let the rest be privates for that battle. 
    My "concern" about huge battles without hierarchy is that they are all the same in the long run.
    I see your point: few gamers would enjoy this setting, and you are probably right. And thanks for sharing your view.

Yes there are some like you I just doubt there are enough.  I also believe that the MMO market will not be growing as much as some anticipate.  Its not that your idea is bad its just that I don't think there is a market that will bear it.

JackBauer- if you want NPC's as pawns then you should look into God & Heroes.

• Originally posted by jimmyman99
    The battles where PCs and/or NPCs play a role of a pawn/soldier while being commanded by higher ranking PCs is a great idea, AND it works (most of the time) in a game called Planetside - a true PvP oriented MMOFPS. In there, a high level CR (Command Rank) players CAN give out orders (although you dont HAVE to follow them, usualy people do) to other troops. Granded it is often abused by immature people who managed to gain CR5 (the level required to be bale to talk in the global command chat) but it is rather uncommon. I think a strong RTS element in a MMORPG would benefit it greately. I love Army vs Army combat.

Large Scale combat exists with ransk in Planetside, although I would call that more informal and the game is more squad based it seems.  But it is one of the only games with real "command" ranks and those ranks do grant command powers.

A large scale system destroying fleet in Eve is probably the only truly epic/war like fights in MMOs today.  Most other large scale stuff devolves like QG says.

I think Eve is interesting because of the ship role aspect.  Everyone has a job to do and needs to be trained on the right things.  Dreadnaughts seige and Interdictors tackle and battships snipe etc etc.  Even the newer people can be tacklers or scouts.  Bascially Eve benefits from the already well settled navy ship roles and since ships are a major investment in real life they tend to have important roles even if they are smaller.  In infantry, especailly pre modern Era, a lot of people wind up as cannon fodder.

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by jimmyman99

Large Scale combat exists with ransk in Planetside, although I would call that more informal and the game is more squad based it seems.  But it is one of the only games with real "command" ranks and those ranks do grant command powers.

A large scale system destroying fleet in Eve is probably the only truly epic/war like fights in MMOs today.  Most other large scale stuff devolves like QG says.

I think Eve is interesting because of the ship role aspect.  Everyone has a job to do and needs to be trained on the right things.  Dreadnaughts seige and Interdictors tackle and battships snipe etc etc.  Even the newer people can be tacklers or scouts.  Bascially Eve benefits from the already well settled navy ship roles and since ships are a major investment in real life they tend to have important roles even if they are smaller.  In infantry, especailly pre modern Era, a lot of people wind up as cannon fodder.

Good comparison. However, Eve style command and control will not work well in a MMORPG IMO. Ill explain why. IN Eve, command type players are designed specificaly to do just that. I mean they CAN fight and all, but NOT as effectively as a soldier who has no command skill but concentrated on offencive skills only. Another problem may arise when those command players are not available for whatever reasons. In PS, the command type player is just a regular player BUT who invested a lot of time leveling command rank. That means that if we have 1000 players in total, and 900 of those managed to get highest command rank, they can still fight effectively because command rank doesnt take away from any other regular ranks. So in PS< you can easily scale back and forward - any command rank player can scaled down and be just a regular grunt in a squad, OR be a CR and order around if no other CR is available. I think the flexibility of PS command structure is better if applied to a MMORPG type of game then Eve command structure. There will be never a shortage of Command Rank players nor will be any negative effect from too many of them.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    imageimage

• Originally posted by jimmyman99

Originally posted by gestalt11

Good comparison. However, Eve style command and control will not work well in a MMORPG IMO. Ill explain why. IN Eve, command type players are designed specificaly to do just that. I mean they CAN fight and all, but NOT as effectively as a soldier who has no command skill but concentrated on offencive skills only. Another problem may arise when those command players are not available for whatever reasons. In PS, the command type player is just a regular player BUT who invested a lot of time leveling command rank. That means that if we have 1000 players in total, and 900 of those managed to get highest command rank, they can still fight effectively because command rank doesnt take away from any other regular ranks. So in PS< you can easily scale back and forward - any command rank player can scaled down and be just a regular grunt in a squad, OR be a CR and order around if no other CR is available. I think the flexibility of PS command structure is better if applied to a MMORPG type of game then Eve command structure. There will be never a shortage of Command Rank players nor will be any negative effect from too many of them.

There is always one(well two sort of) problem from too many commanders, either you have too many cooks spoiling the broth or you have a certain cadre of regular commanders and other people may get excluded.

Fortunately for Planetside, as an FPS type game, its all about action, so I think this is somewhat minimized.

But as with any command structure you run into problems of supply and demand.

Command ships in Eve are more like clerics and buffbots than actual fleet Admirals.  The admiral could really be anywhere,  the real fleet admiral could easily be in a dreadnaguht as I understand that is actually quite boring and would leave you with a lot of free attention for fleet tactics and strategy.

But I think the real point is that in a game no one really wants to just be one out of 100 guys marchign in a line at 100 other guys in a line ala 18th and 19th century war tactics.  No one really wants to be a number with a sword, they will do it if they have to, but that isn't really fun.  That is why having diverse roles and multiple kinds of objectives is good.  In an Eve system assault you gotta deal the tacklers and defenders, you gotta deal with the Point Defense stations, you gotta do a lot of scouting and monitoring of gates.  And not dealing well with any of those could cause you to stall or get ambushed.

But something like a system assault takes tons of planning and if some important commander (ie. one of the planners) doesn't show up well you are kidna doomed anyway.

Planetside is about action, that is why I termed it as more informal.  An Eve system assault is a planned out thing that can take weeks to do and weeks to plan.  Planetside you can log in and get on the command global and see if some sector needs some help or its a good time to push or just go frag some people etc.

But something like a system assault takes tons of planning and if some
    important commander (ie. one of the planners) doesn't show up well you
    are kidna doomed anyway.

Yes, gestalt, thats exactly what I mean. Its very important for any major event to be independent of any individual(s). That means, even if just several low level character join the event, it would still take place with NPC soldiers and commanders taking their place. On the other hand, if lots of people attend this event, the highset command rank character takes control, the rest take lesser command roles (squad leaders etc etc). If for any reason the ranking officer logs off, the next in line officer picks up his job. This way there is little interference between officers (each has his own task and abilities) and no dependancies on a specific type of player.

This structure is not without drawbacks. The main drawback as I see it is the fact that commanders become less personalized and unique. You no longer are one of the few, but rather one of the many. This is a worthy tradeoff I think, "character uniqueness" vs "event stability". Definitely worth of a discussion. Post away!

imageimage

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

This structure is not without drawbacks. The main drawback as I see it is the fact that commanders become less personalized and unique. You no longer are one of the few, but rather one of the many. This is a worthy tradeoff I think, "character uniqueness" vs "event stability". Definitely worth of a discussion. Post away!

Since they will have plenty of battles of a smaller size, in addition to the huge whoppers we hope they will hold once in a while, that will do much to counter this drawback.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951
    I know that our guild is going to be pretty big and will support massive battles.  It's going to be awesome.

I'm not saying I like NPC battles but, I'm not saying I don't like them.  I think the mix between NPCs (with HIGH AI) and PvP mixed would assure "Epic Battles".  What I don't want to see is Epic Battles being like 50vs50 cause that is not epic at all.  Thats actually normal play.  As for the rank system:

1.  Make it hard to go up rank.

2.  I'm not saying that ounce your a Lt. Col. (even though thats not in the time period we are talking about lol) make it so you can still participate in the epic battles but you give orders or something like that.

• QuikeGQuikeG Member Posts: 14

Such a nice reading to start the day... cheers, mates!

(Planetside: researching! researching! )

• mockingbyrd2mockingbyrd2 Member Posts: 14

If this is going to be implemented, Barbarians and mages and whatnot with all of the aoe attacks are going to rule the battlefield. I SAY COOL!

Oooo OOooo new question what will have bigger battles AoC or Warhammer
  • grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507
    The correct answer is PlanetSide

I have played P.S. Long story short didnt find it fun ok now answer the question plz.

This discussion has been closed.