Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic battles

What do they mean by "Epic Battles" sounds pretty awsome I hope that that means MASSIVE MASSIVE WAVES of troops rushing torwards each other only to colide into one huge battle.  I'm talking Rome battles or Lord of the Rings battles.  I dont like 5vs5 ok thats good and all but if I had to choose go for the 1000vs1000 lol and none of you say "But the lag" cause it wont happen and if it does dont buy the game and buy a better computer.

I want BIG $(# BATTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!.   I'll do anything.

Comments

• JyroxJyrox Member Posts: 20
    Well, these "Epic Battles" will be formed when players create Player Towns (PvE) and Battle Keeps (PvP). The Player Towns will have a "mirror" town which is close by and will be controlled by NPC's. You compete with this town and try to destroy it. Battle Keeps are the same thing only the mirror town is filled with other players. Don't quote me on this though, I'm only about 70% of what I said.
  • Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951
    IGN has a movie and it shows an example of one of these player city battles.

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283
    How big do you think the Epic battles are?  I mean I think the more people the better.  More people leads to more possiblities. 
  • WolfjunkieWolfjunkie Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 985
    No PC on the market could handle 1000 players in the same area, on the same screen, clashing together. And defently not when the game, is AoC, and the graphics.. Are pretty darn nice.

• Database82Database82 Member Posts: 179

I think it may depend I know sometimes when there is a high concentration of players in an area not all of their avatars are visible till you get near them but that's stupid anyways. Maybe it's just my pc but i've seen this in a few games. 1000 is way too many you'd crash the server before anyone could land a blow.

Current MMO: Aion
    MMO Watch: Warhammer 40k Online, SWToR, GW2.
    Played: Planetside, SWG, EQ, EQ2, L2, WoW, RFO, KAL, MxO, Voyage, RO,Vanguard,Tabula Rasa, Horizons, CoH/CoV,, Lotro, FFXI
    First MMO: Everquest (Tunare Server, Ronin/Tide Guild)

Technology will improve and that will happen you will see lol and plus would'nt you want 1000 people if you knew there would be no crash?
  • checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

With the Normal Mapping type of graphics that AoC has, it'll be impossible for the best system to see 1000 PCs onscreen at once.

I doubt we'll see any kind of scale like this with normal mapping.  It's just too graphics intensive. 

When they went the direction of normal mapping the characters, they sacrificed epic battles.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Epic battles the size of which you speak are also known by another name:

"ZoneCrashServerCrashServerReset"

~ Ancient Membership ~

Originally posted by JackBauer24
    Technology will improve and that will happen you will see lol and plus would'nt you want 1000 people if you knew there would be no crash?

You are correct 100% there.  We have to remember that this game will support DX10 and Windows Vista.  They already said with DX10 support, the game will have a lot more on screen then a DX9 user.  "A lot more on the screen" meaning their "draw" distance will be able to see farther then DX9.  More dense woods, etc.

Should be pretty cool to see it running on DX10 and Vista when they work out a lot of the hardware/software bugs in the first few months.

• Devil21Devil21 Member Posts: 74
    i'd be happy with a few hundred on either side

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Funcom has successfully managed about 500 characters onscreen without a server crash, that was in Anarchy Online, using 5 year old server technology. Granted, several of those players had their own computer go link dead...

In any case, from what i have seen, the massive battles may field between 50 and 400 characters.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Devil21Devil21 Member Posts: 74
    to tell you the truth, that's good enough for me. If you think about it, 100vs100 or 200vs200 and npcs sounds pretty epic to me! with great graphics, refreshing gameplay and pvp this game could be just the thing i have been looking for.

Originally posted by Devil21
    to tell you the truth, that's good enough for me. If you think about it, 100vs100 or 200vs200 and npcs sounds pretty epic to me! with great graphics, refreshing gameplay and pvp this game could be just the thing i have been looking for.

A lot of people still think hardware can't do these types of things, but it's 2006 people with the game not coming out untill 2007.

There's already some very awesome hardware out there, and new hardware being made each month.  I wouldn't be shocked to see some crazy "epic" size events in any next gen. MMORPG that's coming out.

Are you saying that Age of Conan could be this "next gen game" cause that would be awsome. 

ONe more question----

Is it possible to put "next gen technology" in a game that doesnt have it.

For example: This new tech came out and theres no lag can I put that in an exixting MMO that doesnt have that?

Originally posted by JackBauer24

Are you saying that Age of Conan could be this "next gen game" cause that would be awsome. 

ONe more question----
    Is it possible to put "next gen technology" in a game that doesnt have it.
    For example: This new tech came out and theres no lag can I put that in an exixting MMO that doesnt have that?

Yes, its quite possible to upgrade an existing game with new technology. Depending on the situation, the cost can however get to be rather extreme. Most gaming companies are not willing to forward the money, or the inevitable hassle that goes along with it. And in a few cases, the game simply is not worth it to anyone but the players.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• QuikeGQuikeG Member Posts: 14

Just a little daydreaming:

1000 vs 1000 guys, with proper hierarchy and command... deployment, unit formations, high level tactics, timing, use of terrain, missile/chavalry/infantry... and fierce man-to-man fighting

some sort of sophisticated RomeTotalWar-like battles, where every pawn is a PC...

that's what I'd call a proper massive battle

Originally posted by QuikeG

1000 vs 1000 guys, with proper hierarchy and command... deployment, unit formations, high level tactics, timing, use of terrain, missile/chavalry/infantry... and fierce man-to-man fighting

some sort of sophisticated RomeTotalWar-like battles, where every pawn is a PC...

Oh yes, now that is a dream to live for. Perhaps by that time they can actually perfect VR enough that you can BE there swinging your weapon instead of punching keys.

Hemingway

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Oh yes, now that is a dream to live for. Perhaps by that time they can actually perfect VR enough that you can BE there swinging your weapon instead of punching keys.

"Oh Yeah!!!"

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

BRAIN BLAST!!!!! Rome Total War Online .  Buuuuttt anyways I also hope that dream comes true I will be so fricking happy I wont go to WOrk ever.  Oh but who will pay per month....? lol 

• Originally posted by QuikeG

Why would someone play an RPG to be a pawn?  Why would you want your friends to be pawns?  The fact that you use the word pawn shows how trivial you think they are.  Who would really want to be that?  You can get that in real life and get paid for it, just not much.

I think this is what hes saying and if hes not heres what I'm saying.

I think you should be able to work your way up to from a "pawn" to a "king" know what im saying.  As for regular "pawns" why they can be NPC's with high AI (if that makes sense) and like when tech improves, 1000 NPCS vs 1000 NPCs (And of course real people too)

Note:  1000vs1000 PvP/NPC

Note P.S.:(If that makes sense lol)

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by QuikeG

Why would someone play an RPG to be a pawn?  Why would you want your friends to be pawns?  The fact that you use the word pawn shows how trivial you think they are.  Who would really want to be that?  You can get that in real life and get paid for it, just not much.

Hold up, Rome total war is an RTS game, in it you can control hundreds of soldiers at once. The pawns he is reffering to are those soldiers. The connection here is the scope of the battle, thousands of men facing off using every tactical advantage they can get. The difference is instead of pawns being controlled by one or two players, each unit is a player himself able to make decisions

Hemingway

• QuikeGQuikeG Member Posts: 14

Yes, Aelfinn understood what I meant.

So, we want epic battles, but 1000 generals vs 1000 generals doesn't make much sense.  If a battle is epic, it is huge. And I'd like to be part of it, even if I'm one of those little tiny pawns.  My unit will receive orders, the unit as a whole will obey them, and every single player in the unit will have to do its share, may it be fight in close combat, manouver, outflank, hold the line, charge, fire volleys... whatever!

Without hierarchy, you just get a (really big) bunch of toons fighting each other, rather blindly.

The good news is that there are so many MMOs out there... sure every one can find its own!!!! I think I will find mine when Aoc or WAR come out...

Regards, mates

qk

• Originally posted by QuikeG

Yes, Aelfinn understood what I meant.

So, we want epic battles, but 1000 generals vs 1000 generals doesn't make much sense.  If a battle is epic, it is huge. And I'd like to be part of it, even if I'm one of those little tiny pawns.  My unit will receive orders, the unit as a whole will obey them, and every single player in the unit will have to do its share, may it be fight in close combat, manouver, outflank, hold the line, charge, fire volleys... whatever!

Without hierarchy, you just get a (really big) bunch of toons fighting each other, rather blindly.

The good news is that there are so many MMOs out there... sure every one can find its own!!!! I think I will find mine when Aoc or WAR come out...

Regards, mates
    qk

Yes, I understand.  But seriously who wants to be a private in the army?  I mean why would I pay $15 per month to be a private?  The fact that you acknowledge there is (and must be) a hierarchy shows that some people will almost certainly be perpetual privates.  The vast majority of an infantry/cavalry based army is enlisted men of little rank.  Why would people playing a game wish to put themselves in such a position?

I can understand that for some they like such a thing.  But really how many people want to be a private?  Which is what easily 60-70% of the people involed in such an activity would.  The ladder-like hierarchy also virtually guarantee that most people will never "advance" to general or captain or whatever.  The pyramidal hierarchy means most people are doomed to be permanent enlisted men and most people at the top are loathe to give up power.

I understand exactly what you are talking about and I am skeptical that any significant number of people want to be placed in that situation for any length of time.  Who wants to be a peasant or a peasant levy or a draftee?  Who wants to be on the bottom? No one.  Why would the people at the top (who would be like 10% of the population) allow those at the bottom to gain power and displace them as commanders?  They won't.
  • jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    In my view, Epic Battle is like this...

A line of poorly dressed but heavily painted highlanders wait for a charging heavy cavalry...
    THe leader of the highlander band growls "WAAAAIIIITTTT"...
    ... cavalry is charging ...
    "WAAAAAAAAAIIIITTTTTT"
    .. cavalry is still charging, some heavy music is playing in the background raising the anticipation of the massive armie's collision...
    "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT"
    ... the band of highlanders nervously looks around for possible cover...
    the leader of the band suddenly shouts "NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW" drops his weapons and picks up a long long long pike hidden in the grass... his soldiers follow in his example...

Skip to the end, the leader of the band with half of his face painted in blue looks around the battlefield and shouts/roars a victory roar.

That is an epic battle IMHO.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.