Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there really no user base out there for complex games ?

SionedSioned Member UncommonPosts: 135

I have watched a lot of game developemnts in the past year. And i pretty much disappointed at the current state. Where have the complex games gone ? - Where are new inovative Ideas ?.

I am a former Star Wars Galaxy Player a game that had the chance to be one of the best ( for me even the best) mmorpgs out there but it war ruined because of the bad concept and production work of SOE after the release. They patched this game to death. But for me the basic ideo of Star Wars Galaxy was the mmorpg i would wish for.

An MMORPG based on freedom you could simply do everything. Hell it was far from perfect and the number of bugs could fill books. But it was soo complex and so free. A working ingame econmy - Social Classes like dancers, musicans or crafters. A full customizeable User Interface. The only thing that was static was the gender and the race. Ingame you could change your profession anytime you wanted - ofc you had to redo all the grinding but you could change your profession. You could even change your look and your skin color. No item restrictions ingame each class could wear any item ofc it didnt work if you had the wrong class but you could wear it.The Concept of player cities were you could build your own cities and build a transportation network and so on.

What i would like to discuss about is why do the games develop backwards atm. Since WoW all games seem essentially the same. There is no diversion. Nothing that makes a game somehow special. My only hope at the moment is Vanguard - but with SOE as co publisher i expect the worst - tho i hope for the best.

Am i part of a minority or am i simply to old for the current games with my 25 years?. Am i out of focused customers?

Comments

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    I think even the haters will tell you that EVE has all the complexity to bury yourself in with a Economy that is unrivlaled in any MMO I've played. The Face protrait program gives you alot of options though thats it for character appearence as you never leave your ship. You can mix and match most modules(the equivlant of equipment) on any ship you want to varing degrees of success. Give it a shot you might like or hate it but either way you'll feel strongly about it 

• khragkhrag Member Posts: 184
    I agree SWG had the potential to be the best. Except for SOE and LA. I also agree that the freeform, sandbox, type of play was the best.

what I liked the best about SWG was that you could be any profession, but to be good, you could only be 1 profession. It was the true genius of the game, (that and only 1 character per server) that gave us a true working economy. How can you have an economy in other games when you can be multiple professions at once (WoW is the worst I have played, everyone is a combat profession, plus two other professions, so the supply way out meats the demand, therefore they have to rely on drops to make money, which in turn makes the professions useless. You know the economy is screwed when the materiels to make an item cost more than it does for the finished item)

At one point I had 3 accounts on SWG, I had a TKM, an architect, and a politician/merchant. We all had our gripes about the game (justly deserved as well) but the idea behind the original release was the greatest.

The only game that came close was W.I.S.H and it was a distant second.

Someone please make us a game where the peons don't rule!

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
    --Aristotle

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Originally posted by Nicoli
    I think even the haters will tell you that EVE has all the complexity to bury yourself in with a Economy that is unrivlaled in any MMO I've played. The Face protrait program gives you alot of options though thats it for character appearence as you never leave your ship. You can mix and match most modules(the equivlant of equipment) on any ship you want to varing degrees of success. Give it a shot you might like or hate it but either way you'll feel strongly about it 

I second that.  EVE-Online... AKA, "Excel In Space"