Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New questions over at RPGVAULT answerd.

SutexSutex Member UncommonPosts: 150

Lots of combat questions answerd over at rpgvault. One that i like the sound of is.

Jonric: Outcomes being a critical element in any combat system, what will happen when you die? What kinds of penalties will you suffer, and will it be possible to mitigate them? And will there be corpse runs?

Tom Wells: As part of our death mechanic, we have introduced a brand new player resource called spirit. Spirit measures a character's actions in Norrath and grants benefits to the character (such as a better experience modifier) as it increases. Spirit builds as players gain experience and move on to bigger challenges.

When a character dies, the player must either wait for a resurrect spell or release their corpse and reappear at an explorer camp. When a player releases his corpse, a shard of his spirit is left behind and his overall spirit is reduced. To achieve maximum spirit, a player cannot leave spirit shards uncollected, so recovering all shards is important.

The purpose of the system is to give players the dynamic excitement that corpse retrieval provides without requiring you to respawn naked at a distant bind point. Although death doesn't take away experience you already earned, the fact that spirit has a major impact on your future experience gain means that you will not want your character to die needlessly. Your equipment also takes damage, which your local artisan can help you remedy.

What you all think?

Comments

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
    Yes, I like this idea of spirit...although I'm a little confused about how to get spirit and build it up for when you die.  Hopefully some more information will be released, since this is a very important thing in online games.

::Yordo::
    EQ2, UXO, Lineage 2, KO, Guild Wars, City of Heroes

• SutexSutex Member UncommonPosts: 150

Yeah me too. I am guessins its like a second exp pool...the spirit pool. You work it up by slaying all sorts of foes and maybe quests?

Just guessing but over all a nice idea

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Better then anything I would have think of.  image As long as someone can restore his spirit at any point and it never become impossible(can be as hard as the CR or even harder althought).

Decay keep worrying me althought...I dont like the idea to have to do some tradeskilling, to have to find a tradeskillers or to pay incredible cash to NPCs to just keep going, they are all very boring.  I am sure something can be worked out nicely, I just dont see it.

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Hopefully they just don't make spirit as easy to get back up as health is.  Health needs to be relatively easy but they need to make sure that spirit is somewhat a challenge.  And don't even get me started on item damage....I agree with the idea but it has always annoyed me.

::Yordo::
    EQ2, UXO, Lineage 2, KO, Guild Wars, City of Heroes

• KeeganKeegan Member Posts: 53
    Yes shadowbane got death pretty damn good. but everything else had a wanting.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

i didn'timage

i spent 40 bucks, then found out the game sucked my butt

go check shadowbane forums...there's a thread called "this game sux my butt"

that was the day i bought itimage

Originally posted by MurtBijani

i didn'timage
    i spent 40 bucks, then found out the game sucked my butt
    go check shadowbane forums...there's a thread called "this game sux my butt"
    that was the day i bought itimage

I agree...Shadowbane had many problems...I probably wouldn't have used the same words though image