Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Topics asking about which MMORPG to play.

heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Quite honestly, I'm tired of seeing these topics in general all the time. I'm usually not the person to make this type of a post, but it gets annoying having relevent topics get pushed down because someone is too lazy to download a trial version.

Why do you want me to tell you what to play? Do you not have your own preference for games? Are you really such a sheep that you want my experiences to dictate which game you should play?

The point is, most, if not all, MMORPGs have a trial version available for download. Download, try the game for yourself. I can't tell you what you like, only you can. Don't follow the flock, make your own decisions.

Thank you for reading. This has been your heartless public service announcement.

Comments

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I don't mind threads where the poster is asking for something very specific. It'd probably be a waste of time to read through the whole game list just to find maybe one game that fits what they're looking for. It's the threads where they ask something inane, like "wats teh best gaem?" or "gimme a free game 2 paly," or "what game should I play ???" that induce eye-rolling and sighing.

I wonder if those who post the latter are the same people who won't watch a movie if they read a bad review about it. Hmm, no...because these people won't read reviews; they only ask people to write new ones for them to read. ::::12::

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• mozismozis Member Posts: 436
    There isn't anything in the rules that says people can't ask about the opinions of others for advice on which game they should play. This is the mmorpg.com forum website and if people are curious as to which games people think they should play then allow them to post it, if it bothers you so much simply don't read those posts.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    I hate the threads where someone is very basic, bassicly telling me "tell me an MMO TO PLAY!!!". They give no details on what they want, ect. ect.

I've been known to ask a few times about an MMO. The fact is, a trial can't realy tell you "everything" there is to know about one. For example, in EVE Online's case I am sure the trial did not give it justice, as you realy can' jump into the "meat" of the game.

Some games realy don't have a trial option, for example, Lineage II. Anyways, when I generaly post I like to actualy post what I like so that I can get a better idea of what I want to try out, instead of searching aimlessly through all of the mmo's on the market.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by mozis
    There isn't anything in the rules that says people can't ask about the opinions of others for advice on which game they should play. This is the mmorpg.com forum website and if people are curious as to which games people think they should play then allow them to post it, if it bothers you so much simply don't read those posts.

It doesn't really bother me, just think it's silly. The fact of the matter is that people are simply lazy and want someone else to do the work for them. "I used to play WoW, what game should I play?", "lolz i want a gaem like mapel story plz."

Do some research for crying out loud. I can't tell you what you're going to like, as every person's tastes are different. No matter what anyone tells you, you'll only know if you'll like a game if you try it.

• mozismozis Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by mozis

It doesn't really bother me, just think it's silly. The fact of the matter is that people are simply lazy and want someone else to do the work for them. "I used to play WoW, what game should I play?", "lolz i want a gaem like mapel story plz."
    Do some research for crying out loud. I can't tell you what you're going to like, as every person's tastes are different. No matter what anyone tells you, you'll only know if you'll like a game if you try it.

That's fair, I kind of have a better idea of where you're coming from with this post now, and I agree that people shouldn't just say "I played this, now what?". I do believe that people should learn to think for themselves more, however in some cases I can understand why a person may just be giving up and reaching out for any answer they can get.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    I think it's also a fair point in the OP's post that all of the "Help me find a game" posts are pushing actual discussion topics down. If there were fewer threads [about choosing a game], it wouldn't be a problem, but I think we see enough of them now to actually merit giving them their own board. I don't want to get rid of them entirely (they are, after all, posts seeking information about MMOs), but a "Seeking Game Information" or "What Game Should I Play?" board would definitely remove some of the clutter from the Pub.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Bottom line, a lot of stupid people play mmorpgs. Of course playing mmorpgs all day long will only make you more stupid. I should know, ::::01::. I don't want to hear "Oh but there has been scientific study that shows playing games is good for you", because it is only good for you if you play particular ones like Soduko, Chessmaster, Brain Training game etc. Even then exposure should be limited. See the light and repent all your sins!::::18::

No annoying animated GIF here!

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509
    I must be missing the part where someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing to you read every single thread in the forums.

Seriously though, do you need us to call 911? Because, that could be a problem...

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Originally posted by shae
    Seriously though, do you need us to call 911? Because, that could be a problem...

Especially as I'm in the UK.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

Originally posted by Darkchronic

Especially as I'm in the UK.

Hmm... there must an angry guy in funny hat with a billy bat we can call for yah ???
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by heartless

Do you not have your own preference for games? Are you really such a sheep that you want my experiences to dictate which game you should play?

what they really are asking is for you to tell them that X game is the end-all and be-all.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

I must be missing the part where someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing to you read every single thread in the forums.Seriously though, do you need us to call 911? Because, that could be a problem...

No, I think you missed this part...

"it gets annoying having relevent topics get pushed down"

"I think it's also a fair point in the OP's post that all of the "Help me find a game" posts are pushing actual discussion topics down."

-----------

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572
    These "I'm tired of all these XXX posts" are usually more annoying thab the topics they're agaisnt.

Something to think about.

Originally posted by katriell

I must be missing the part where someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing to you read every single thread in the forums.Seriously though, do you need us to call 911? Because, that could be a problem...

No, I think you missed this part...
    "I think it's also a fair point in the OP's post that all of the "Help me find a game" posts are pushing actual discussion topics down."

I didn't miss it all and it's almost a valid point but mine is this. No one is forcing him to read the post and whether anyone likes it or not, asking other peoples oppinion on MMO's is a valid topic and isn't against regulations of the forums in any shape, way or manner.

Saying that it pushes "actual" or more "valid" topics down is like saying the only topics that matter are those between "A" and "B", that doesn't really seem fair to me.

You can either contribute to them or ingnore them but picking on the people that post them doesn't do anything but harm a community. But hey, that's just my oppinion, I could be wrong but in the end, it just doesn't bother me as much as it does other I suppose.

I've always been a, if you don't like the topic don't click it, type of person. But maybe the solution we should be asking for here is a seperate location on the forums for asking oppinions and specific personal recommendations about MMO's. Maybe that would keep people happy? I don't know, just a thought.
  • MouserqMouserq Member Posts: 68
    Pick one of these threads and sticky it so that people can bowse through people's opinions of games...since they are too lazy to click the "game list" button at the top of screen and read tons of user reviews for EVERY game.

a seperate location on the forums for asking oppinions and specific personal recommendations about MMO's
    That would satisfy me, as far as the actual issue goes.

But the behaviour itself still doesn't make sense. ::::01::

-----------