Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Report from Corstopitum, 3 August 2006

KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Having progressed beyond servitude to his Master, Kemarik proceeded quickly to the Arena at the east edge of the Roman town to pursue his chosen career as a fighter and defender of The Empire. He was pleased to see so many of his new found friends there sparring to build up their combat skills. Elder warriors who had actual battle experience fighting the barbarians were teaching various skills to all newcomers. Those in training who could afford a coveted spear and buckler were busy jabbing and blocking while those still poor and without a sponsor like Kemarik, stripped to the waist and commenced brawling training. One helpful female warrior, Bianka, took time to fill up everybody's amphora (water jug) at the river and also laid out food (apples and bread) for everybody to use.
After several hours of sparring (and occasionally being held in suspended animation as the lag monster came to visit several times during the evening), Kemarik decided to go for a stroll to allow some of his wounds to heal. Having broken his sandals on his last journey and without enough money to buy another pair, he had to go barefoot making it a cold trip. He left town and crossed the river heading south towards "The Grove" where many crafters are usually found collecting wood, stone, clay, and other things necessary for their various projects. Kemarik's plan was to stay as long as it took to forage enough apples to feed himself for the next several days.
Coming within a few hundred yards of the The Grove, he noticed things just didn't look right. There was not the usual crowd of Romans spread out in all directions busy at their projects. He saw a small knot of men, some with spears, gathered at the center of the Grove. They were too far away to identify. One named Julius who was a Roman came running out to meet Kemarik and whispered to him to quickly alert The Guard and bring as many soldiers as he could find. Unbeknownst to Kemarik at the time, Julius was the last Roman left alive in The Grove after a barbarian raiding party had just killed every crafter in the area. Julius was attempting to buy his life with what coin he had in his pocket and the barbarians seemed to be interested in this scenario.
With every ounce of strength and vigor he could muster, Kemarik took off back across the river and ran straight to the Arena to alert the Roman citizenry. Like Paul Revere he yelled "Barbarians at The Grove" at the top of his lungs as he streaked down the cobblestoned streets. In due time, about 10 fighters, led by the biggest and strongest of them all, Victus, gathered at the river's edge to discuss battle plans. Kemarik was very excited to finally be involved in his first battle and was happy that one of the elder fighters loaned him a spear.
After crossing the river, all but one of the little platoon hid behind the opposite river bank while a scout went ahead to do some recon and try to lure the barbarian's into the trap. The scout came back five minutes later and reported there were only two barbarians, still talking with Julius, left in The Grove and that they refused to chase him.  Victus then led the charge of the entire Roman platoon across the plain with Kemarik, not quite fit enough yet for long protracted marches, bringing up the rear. One of the barbarians was overheard by all saying "Hey, we have company" followed quickly by "We have LOTS of company."
Just before fleeing, both barbarians stabbed and fatally wounded Julius who lay bleeding on the grass. The talkative barbarian was caught almost immediately and stabbed by spears from 7 different directions. Victus gave him the deathblow and off to Elysium went the barbarian. While Kemarik bent down to administer first aid to the dying Julius, the rest of the platoon took off South into the wilderness giving chase to the remaining barbarian. As Kemarik's treatment skill proved to be unsatisfactory to save Julius, his patient did utter a message of thanks to Kemarik before breathing his last breath. Kemarik later learned the chase of the final barbarian lasted another 20 minutes travelling over about 2 kilometers of wilderness before he was finally caught and killed.

Comments

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464
    Im guessing RP'ing is big in this game.
  • KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122
    I don't think there are any more people attempting RP'ing in RV than any other game, but the game play is very conducive to it.  The story above is 100% true.  That was my exact virtual experience sitting in my chair before my computer screen for several hours last night.
  • TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Wow, I am getting this game.  If what you said is true, that RV is very conductive to RPing, it may be worth the headaches that are likely to come as a result of bugs, lag, etc.

IN time these things can be fixed, but a game that offer lots of opportunity for RP is always interesting to me. 

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Tymora

Wow, I am getting this game.  If what you said is true, that RV is very conductive to RPing, it may be worth the headaches that are likely to come as a result of bugs, lag, etc.
    IN time these things can be fixed, but a game that offer lots of opportunity for RP is always interesting to me. 

RPing is whatever you make it out to be.I can put a paper man and a few pieces of lego and be able to RP that and much more.

The reality is far far worse.Bugs and lags aside(even though RV has gamestopping ones),the scenario mentioned is worse then  watching paint dry and more fustrating then gonorhea when in the game.

But then again people did not listen first time around .

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122
    Four solid hours of lag free playing in RV last night.  Here's crossing fingers this was not just a fluke. 
  • grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507
    What I am surprised by already is the EVE like political game that has started on the Barb side already...I mean, I did expect things to heat up politically once things were running smoother, but not all out war in Erring a couple weeks in! Almost makes me wish I was a Barb.