Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Research: Player vs. Character Gender

Hello.  We are hoping you take a few moments to answer the following survey.
  Please don't take this is spam or anything like that.  We are players who are doing a project for a class and would appreciate your help. 
This survey has no scientific merit and will not be used for any published works.  All information will be kept confidential.  We do not need character names, games played (current or past).

Please submit your responses to [email protected]
Do not respond to this post with your answers 

Thanks!

1. What is your gender?

1. If you are a male player:
    1. I play a female character because __________
    2. I play a male character because ____________

1. <!--
    D(["mb","<span> </span>If you are a female player:</font></li>
    <ol styleu003d"margin-top:0in" typeu003d"a">
    <li styleu003d"margin:0in 0in 0pt"><font faceu003d"Times New Roman">I play a male character because ____________</font></li>
    <li styleu003d"margin:0in 0in 0pt"><font faceu003d"Times New Roman">I play a female character because ___________</font></li></ol></ol>
    <p styleu003d"margin:0in 0in 0pt 0.75in"><font faceu003d"Times New Roman"> </font></p>
    <ol styleu003d"margin-top:0in" typeu003d"1" startu003d"4">
    <li styleu003d"margin:0in 0in 0pt"><font faceu003d"Times New Roman">Bonus Question:<span>  </span>Do you like pie?</font></li></ol>
    <p styleu003d"margin:0in 0in 0pt"><font faceu003d"Times New Roman"> </font></p>
    <p styleu003d"margin:0in 0in 0pt"><font faceu003d"Times New Roman"> </font></p>

</div>",0]
    );
    D(["ce"]);

//--> 
    If you are a female player:
    1. I play a male character because ____________
    2. I play a female character because ___________

1. Bonus Question:  Do you like pie?

Comments

• SoSikWitItSoSikWitIt Member Posts: 65

So...Bets on how long until this is locked/deleted?

I say...20 minutes.

• britocabritoca Member Posts: 1,484
    Vixen, is that you?  

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

• TheodorykTheodoryk Member Posts: 1,453
    Ouch.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by SoSikWitIt
    So...Bets on how long until this is locked/deleted?
    I say...20 minutes.

45 minutes

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

• BoozbazBoozbaz Member Posts: 1,918

Originally posted by britoca
    Vixen, is that you?  

Heh heh heh. This was pretty coincidental.

Here's a more interesting survey for the members of our forum community:

Are you;

a) A man.
    b) A man who pretends to be a teenaged girl on these forums so as to draw attention to yourself.
    c) A woman who pretends to be a man so as to avoid unsolicited attention  on these forums.
    d) A boy who uses these forums to  pretend to be a man.
    e) A bunny with a  pancake on its head.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

• SoSikWitItSoSikWitIt Member Posts: 65

Am I the only one who never understood the whole, "I play a girl toon because I like a nice scenery" statement? It's just so weird. Yeah, I find women more attractive than men, but I don't want to play as one. I want a huge menacing characters with a huge axes, dripping in blood, guts, and testosterone.

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079

Originally posted by Theodoryk
    Here's a more interesting survey for the members of our forum community:

Are you;

a) A man.
    b) A man who pretends to be a teenaged girl on these forums so as to draw attention to yourself.
    c) A woman who pretends to be a man so as to avoid unsolicited attention  on these forums.
    d) A boy who uses these forums to  pretend to be a man.
    e) A bunny with a  pancake on its head.

If you'd have said "waffle" I would have chosen E. You're biased against waffles! Bad person!

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

God damnit, wtf is wrong with me?!1

f) A waffle.

-baff

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079

Originally posted by SoSikWitIt

Am I the only one who never understood the whole, "I play a girl toon because I like a nice scenery" statement? It's just so weird. Yeah, I find women more attractive than men, but I don't want to play as one. I want a huge menacing characters with a huge axes, dripping in blood, guts, and testosterone.

I never quite got that one either. I mean it's not as if I stare at my characters posterior the entire game. I will, however, own up to playing female characters from time to time. My reasons are usually a little more logical than "I like looking at girl butts"

1- I may be roleplaying siblings or family members.

2- In the case of WoW ALL my caster classes were female. Why? Becuase something about a mage who looks like he could benchpress three orcs on a bench just did NOT look right to me. If the character customisation stinks, as it does in WoW, I may pick classes and genders by the pure physicallity of it.

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

I make both kinds of gender characters.  I mostly like variety, but yeah, the eye candy is nice as well.

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

Originally posted by Boozbaz

Originally posted by britoca
    Vixen, is that you?  

Heh heh heh. This was pretty coincidental.

exactly! hence, the humor

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

1. Male

2. As a male I only really play male characters because I like to be "attractive" to the female players and characters. I know that sounds pathetic but it helps to increase my enjoyment of the game as well as the immersion factor. Same reason I almost always play a human in MMORPGs. I like to view aliens as aliens and that is hard to do when you look just like them.

Bonus: I don't really like pie actually, or rather I could easily live without it. I don't mind cream pies but I am not a fan of anything too sweet.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I'm not emailing. If you came here to do a survey...

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by Laserwolf

. I like to view aliens as aliens and that is hard to do when you look just like them.

Racist

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>