Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roma Victor Release (in a nutshell) - Beta Tester / Current Player

sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Do buy Roma Victor:

1. To take advantage of the 'head start' - in a virtual iron-age ancient Earth.

2. If you want to support an independent, innovative game development team and the most realistic Virtual World MMOG to date.

3. There is no monthly fee; buy it, play it, come back months later and continue where you left off at no charge.

Don't buy Roma Victor:

1. If you are looking for a polished, complete, multi-million-dollar MMOG developed for the masses by a large corporation.

2. If you do not have the time, money, knowledge or patience to install all the very latest Direct X, sound and graphics drivers for your computer and possibly upgrade your hardware.

3. If you do not have the time or patience, or do not feel the above listed Pros are beneficial enough to deal with occassional lag and a highly complex game with incomplete documentation, requiring you to discover and learn how to play with fellow players.

Sample of complex and authentic crafting: Smith Forge

In Summary

It all depends upon what you like.  If you like elves, superpowers, anime, uber gear, fantasy, unbelieveable content and consensual only gaming where the code is in control and not the players, then Roma Victor is likely not for you.

For me, playing in an historically authentic realistic virtual world of swords, where everything can be realistically crafted is cool enough that I am willing to put up with the lag.  They will either fix the lag and I will be happy that I got a huge headstart in the world or they won't and I will move on.

But right now, there is no MMOG that comes close to what Roma Victor offers and as long as I see progress being made on this virtual world, I will be living in it.

Please, by all means, if you know of a more realistic virtual world where the sword wins the day and players can construct buildings brick by brick, then let me in on it!

But, so far, Roma Victor is the best virtual world MMOG I have found!

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

So your points on why you should start RV are to take advantage of imbalances and bug issues??

And what is "truest vritual world" supposed to mean exactly? Explain to me how that is a plus in an MMO.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    No.

Originally posted by sempiternal
    No.

So compelling...

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Wow talk about biased. Was that supposed to be a convincing pitch?

Explain innovative considering the graphics suck, the game is bug ridden, the server lacks stability, and boring unimaginative attending is what is presented to players from the start?

No monthly fee? Not truthful considering the Verm requires many players to buy in-game sesterces from the developers in order for the plan to work and by all accounts it's very difficult to earn money in-game right now and items and repairs are expensive.

Why does a complete and polished quality game have to be produced for the masses? I see some coming out this year that appear to be designed for smaller audiences and are looking good, certainly better than Roma Failure.

Originally posted by Samuraisword

No.

The graphics do not "suck," the game is not "bug ridden," attending is not required nor is it "boring" or "unimaginative," it's not "very difficult to earn money in-game," and it is a fact that there is no monthly fee.

Those players that do not suck, that are not boring and that are not unimaginative have no problem interacting and earning plenty of in-game Sesterces from those who's time, or donation to a great game, is more valuable than the money they contribute.

The server has lacked stability since release, but it is improving.

If you want to play a reasonably believeable iron-age Virtual World, where nearly everything can be player crafted or constructed, Roma Victor is it.

If you want to talk about failure, Samuraisword, you could be listed in the definition.

• caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210

If you want to talk about failure, Samuraisword, you could be listed in the definition.

Originally posted by Samuraisword

No.

The graphics do not "suck," the game is not "bug ridden," attending is not required nor is it "boring" or "unimaginative," it's not "very difficult to earn money in-game," and it is a fact that there is no monthly fee.

First off I don't believe that graphics make a game.  I think that game play is the most important aspect.  So with that being said..............

Your statement is an absolute lie.  The graphics are a complete joke.  I saw the screenshots like everyone else.  Talk about flattering.  The graphics are worse than people were led to believe.  While I don't think that they are everything its hard to get into a game that is this pathetic looking.

How can you say attending is not boring????  Grab a bunch of firewood and sit there and make a pile.  125 pieces taking 20 seconds each.  Woooohoooooooo!!!!!!!  and I like to craft!!!!

As for bug ridden, I can't really comment......because I wasn't able to login for the first week!!!!!!!!!  The constant freezing, crashing, not being able to talk to the master, NPC's indiscrimenantly (sp?) killing their own people, no ingame map (I understand the decision for this but a few landmarks would be helpful), a manual made by players that is so useless that its pointless.

I am not writing this game off.  I have shelved it and plan on revisiting it in the future.  As for now, you are paying to be a beta tester.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

I would say your statement is the lie.  The graphics are matter of opinion.  The graphics are not complete, specifically, the terrain has more ground effects to be added and there are major things that need to be fixed such as rivers and occasional terrain oddities and spikes, but they are wonderfully refreshing, photo realistic and naturally colored.  I have never seen more realism put into the graphics of any other MMOG.  If you have, please give me a link or example right here in this thread, otherwise, hold your peace.  I am not interested in fantastically colored beasts of fantasy and mythology, brightly rainbow-colored dream-like paintings that "look cool," or animated/cartoonish brilliance, so don't waste your time.

As far as attending, at any time, any player can have their attending status removed by their locally elected player Lord or Magistrate and never have to complete any of the attending tasks.  I am a crafter at heart and I love the difficulty and effort it takes in completing the attending tasks and other crafting.  I would say it is a good challenge and many will not have the fortitude to complete them or fully take up crafting, most will go for combat with a minor in crafting.  As a result, highly skilled craftsmen and their goods will be a valuable part of the community rather than an afterthought and a character class that everyone keeps parked in their garage - only pulling them out in times of need to remain self-sufficient.  In RV the crafting is difficult and troublesome enough for a good number of people that only those that are most dedicated to playing crafters will remain competitive in their trades; this will be the foundation of a solid interdependant MMOG community.

Lastly, almost all the problems you mention, caine6621, are related to server lag and overloading and did not exist prior to release; network connectivity or ping to the server has been fine from many parts of the world, the game and login servers simply fall behind in completing all the actions and requests when busy.  Any honest person would have to agree that the server lag has been horrible and game-stopping frequently in the past two weeks, yet, sometimes it has been highly responsive and fluid.  Keep in mind, it has only been two weeks.  Other than the server lag, there are a reasonable amount of bugs and balance issues that can be expected in any MMOG release, some were bad like guards wrongly attacking some players, but they were fixed within days - the important thing here is that the developers are staying involved with the community, keeping players informed and constantly updating the game and forums.  For the tight and dedicated RV development team, Roma Victor is much more than just another game or job - it's a personal passion - and that is what many games are lacking today.

• caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210

I would say your statement is the lie.  The graphics are matter of opinion.  The graphics are not complete, specifically, the terrain has more ground effects to be added and there are major things that need to be fixed such as rivers and occasional terrain oddities and spikes, but they are wonderfully refreshing, photo realistic and naturally colored.  I have never seen more realism put into the graphics of any other MMOG.  If you have, please give me a link or example right here in this thread, otherwise, hold your peace.  I am not interested in fantastically colored beasts of fantasy and mythology, brightly rainbow-colored dream-like paintings that "look cool," or animated/cartoonish brilliance, so don't waste your time.
    As far as attending, at any time, any player can have their attending status removed by their locally elected player Lord or Magistrate and never have to complete any of the attending tasks.  I am a crafter at heart and I love the difficulty and effort it takes in completing the attending tasks and other crafting.  I would say it is a good challenge and many will not have the fortitude to complete them or fully take up crafting, most will go for combat with a minor in crafting.  As a result, highly skilled craftsmen and their goods will be a valuable part of the community rather than an afterthought and a character class that everyone keeps parked in their garage - only pulling them out in times of need to remain self-sufficient.  In RV the crafting is difficult and troublesome enough for a good number of people that only those that are most dedicated to playing crafters will remain competitive in their trades; this will be the foundation of a solid interdependant MMOG community.
    Lastly, almost all the problems you mention, caine6621, are related to server lag and overloading and did not exist prior to release; network connectivity or ping to the server has been fine from many parts of the world, the game and login servers simply fall behind in completing all the actions and requests when busy.  Any honest person would have to agree that the server lag has been horrible and game-stopping frequently in the past two weeks, yet, sometimes it has been highly responsive and fluid.  Keep in mind, it has only been two weeks.  Other than the server lag, there are a reasonable amount of bugs and balance issues that can be expected in any MMOG release, some were bad like guards wrongly attacking some players, but they were fixed within days - the important thing here is that the developers are staying involved with the community, keeping players informed and constantly updating the game and forums.  For the tight and dedicated RV development team, Roma Victor is much more than just another game or job - it's a personal passion - and that is what many games are lacking today.

Two weeks after they charged my credit card.  That means full payment for less than full game.  (I won't even go into the fact they charged my credit card three times)

As for the lag before the release.....my response is who gives a flying f***........I am playing (and paying) NOW!!!!!

I am not even touching the graphics....because you are obviously playing a different game than I am.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

Originally posted by caine6621

First off I don't believe that graphics make a game.  I think that game play is the most important aspect.  So with that being said..............

Your statement is an absolute lie.  The graphics are a complete joke.  I saw the screenshots like everyone else.  Talk about flattering.  The graphics are worse than people were led to believe.  While I don't think that they are everything its hard to get into a game that is this pathetic looking. The graphics are about the lvl of EQ1 when it came out. If you didnt know this going in, you wernt paying attention.

How can you say attending is not boring????  Grab a bunch of firewood and sit there and make a pile.  125 pieces taking 20 seconds each.  Woooohoooooooo!!!!!!!  and I like to craft!!!! Again, this was explained by RB a bunch of times both here and on the RV site. What were you expecting? Also, as part of attending, learning to make piles is important for doing more complex tasks...if they gave you 20 rats to kill, would you complain that the AI on said rats wasnt robust enough?

As for bug ridden, I can't really comment......because I wasn't able to login for the first week!!!!!!!!!  The constant freezing, crashing, not being able to talk to the master, NPC's indiscrimenantly (sp?) killing their own people, no ingame map (I understand the decision for this but a few landmarks would be helpful), a manual made by players that is so useless that its pointless. I would say 90% of the 'bugs' mentioned here are related to the fact that RB bit off more than they could chew in the population dept...I could name quite a few companies that had more problems with more resources available to them that have games that are now sucessful. In short, be paitent.

I am not writing this game off.  I have shelved it and plan on revisiting it in the future.  As for now, you are paying to be a beta tester. A smart move...I mean, if they were charging a monthly fee, I would be totally pissed...as it is, I just play in off peak hours and enjoy myself, confident that things will improve...cuz RB hasnt lied to me yet...unlike certain other companies that shall remain nameless.

• siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by caine6621

Two weeks after they charged my credit card.  That means full payment for less than full game.  (I won't even go into the fact they charged my credit card three times)

As for the lag before the release.....my response is who gives a flying f***........I am playing (and paying) NOW!!!!!

Well if they charged you more than once, its their fault and if you sent them an email at support AT redbedlam they shoul dhave refuneded you the extra charges. But have the time extra chartes occur is that you click the button more than once.

as for the lag before release. Correction, you have payed, and your playing now.
  • Loona35Loona35 Member Posts: 55

Do buy Roma Victor:
    1. To take advantage of the 'head start', real estate and any imbalances; the early bird gets the worm.- ....you serious?

2. If you want to support an independent, innovative game development team and the truest Virtual World MMOG to date.
    - ...yes! lets support everyone who has ambitions. No thnx.

3. There is no monthly fee; buy it, play it, come back months later and continue where you left off.
    - ...thanks! now you actually agree with the fact the game is unfinished!

Don't buy Roma Victor:

1. If you are looking for a polished, complete, multi-million-dollar MMOG developed for the masses by a large corporation.

- Only buy if you want a crappy and buggy game and play in a empty world with graphics from the 90's.

2. If you do not have the time, money, knowledge or patience to install all the very latest Direct X, sound and graphics drivers for your computer and possibly upgrade your hardware.

- Since the game looks worse then a 5 year old game i think a pentium 1 should be enough.. guess what? its not! this games is so badly programmed it uses more CPU % then WoW :D

3. If you do not have the time or patience, or do not feel the above listed Pros are beneficial enough to deal with some serious instances of LAG and the requirement of repetitive login attempts (since release), a highly complex game with incomplete documentation that you must discover and learn how to play, and the server coming down for frequent game patches and the release of new game features and content.

- There are more problems then lag! A lot more!

... ^^ see reply...

this game is complete crap and waste of money! Its full of bugs and you simply try avoiding them in your post. I hate those bad arguments the fanboys use.. like: "yes the game has bugs but the devs are so dedicated and the company is so small so therefor its no problem".. yeah right!
  • grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

Originally posted by Loona35

Do buy Roma Victor:
    1. To take advantage of the 'head start', real estate and any imbalances; the early bird gets the worm.- ....you serious?

2. If you want to support an independent, innovative game development team and the truest Virtual World MMOG to date.
    - ...yes! lets support everyone who has ambitions. No thnx.

3. There is no monthly fee; buy it, play it, come back months later and continue where you left off.
    - ...thanks! now you actually agree with the fact the game is unfinished!

Don't buy Roma Victor:

- Only buy if you want a crappy and buggy game and play in a empty world with graphics from the 90's.

- Since the game looks worse then a 5 year old game i think a pentium 1 should be enough.. guess what? its not! this games is so badly programmed it uses more CPU % then WoW :D

3. If you do not have the time or patience, or do not feel the above listed Pros are beneficial enough to deal with some serious instances of LAG and the requirement of repetitive login attempts (since release), a highly complex game with incomplete documentation that you must discover and learn how to play, and the server coming down for frequent game patches and the release of new game features and content.

- There are more problems then lag! A lot more!

... ^^ see reply...

this game is complete crap and waste of money! Its full of bugs and you simply try avoiding them in your post. I hate those bad arguments the fanboys use.. like: "yes the game has bugs but the devs are so dedicated and the company is so small so therefor its no problem".. yeah right!

Wow, you are a bigger troll than Jorev...but I will ask you a question...would you care to name a game that is finished?
  • MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

I'm sure Red Bedlam don't think this, but some of you supporters are leaning on the "poor volunteer little guy" angle a little too much. Red Bedlam are a video game company (apprently) and not a charity that pleads for the support of its longsuffering fans. Some of you guys seriously do make it out like RV is the Mother Theresa of gaming that needs your moral support, word of mouth and any spare coins you have laying around.

It's a video game, if it fails, oh well, it sucks to be it, doesn't it? Move on...

By the way, what's so wrong with a big game developed for millions by a large company? Going communist and anti-capitalist in the gaming world, are we?

Originally posted by Ulujain
    I'm sure Red Bedlam don't think this, but some of you supporters are leaning on the "poor volunteer little guy" angle a little too much. Red Bedlam are a video game company (apprently) and not a charity that pleads for the support of its longsuffering fans. Some of you guys seriously do make it out like RV is the Mother Theresa of gaming that needs your moral support, word of mouth and any spare coins you have laying around.It's a video game, if it fails, oh well, it sucks to be it, doesn't it? Move on...By the way, what's so wrong with a big game developed for millions by a large company? Going communist and anti-capitalist in the gaming world, are we?

*Chuckles* good post...

- Scaris

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

I'm sure Red Bedlam don't think this, but some of you supporters are leaning on the "poor volunteer little guy" angle a little too much. Red Bedlam are a video game company (apprently) and not a charity that pleads for the support of its longsuffering fans. Some of you guys seriously do make it out like RV is the Mother Theresa of gaming that needs your moral support, word of mouth and any spare coins you have laying around.
    It's a video game, if it fails, oh well, it sucks to be it, doesn't it? Move on...
    By the way, what's so wrong with a big game developed for millions by a large company? Going communist and anti-capitalist in the gaming world, are we?

To me is more about knowing what to expect from whom.  If I see the name Blizzard, I expect a polished game, with pretty graphics and good support (and they seem to have delivered) because they have "the big bucks".  If I see the name SOE I expect the same (maybe not so much because I know they just don't cut it).  If I see a name like RedBedlam, after trying to find out who the hell they are...  I know what to and not to expect.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Everyone should reserve their own opinion.  Read all the data and reviews from unbiased sources.  Personally, at this stage I would hold off a bit till we get this movement server code squared away (tossing through another update to the server today actually).  Everything was okay until the influx of hundreds of new players so once we're over that tracking problem things will be fine and we can start fixing any minor bugs and adding in the features that are ready.

Like I said, its up to the individual.  If you're on the fence, I'd stay there awhile looking on.  Although the only bad thing about waiting to purchase a key is the limited release of only 5000 keys.  We'll be releasing more in the future, but there is no set date.  In RV's case, buying the game is the only money investment needed.  So you can purchase, then jump in every now and then until you believe it's ready.  With no monthly fee, you're not paying for waiting.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

Nothing personal but influx of hundreds of new players? Shouldn't you have planned for thousands at the least? This is supposed to be a MMO. You are limiting your release as it is and you still can't seem to handle the trickle of customers you are taking on.

How at this point can someone that already paid for your product be confident you will ever get in the "thousands" mindset instead of the "hundreds" mindset?

To me as a buyer my concern would be IF and not WHEN I beleive it's ready.

- Scaris

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295
    It's always been our plan to start small and grow.  We planned for 5000...the initial 5000 keys.  But all the planning in the world wont let you see every angle a problem can come from.  We got hit where we werent expecting.  Not to worry though.  We'll get this licked in time. 

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

"In RV's case, buying the game is the only money investment needed.  So you can purchase, then jump in every now and then until you believe it's ready.  With no monthly fee, you're not paying for waiting"

That is a plus, but . . .  It's just the initial problems that RV is having are drastic ones that are preventing people who paid for the game from playing it when they would like to play it.  Then, once in the game, it can be very laggy, making gameplay that much more frustrating to a new player trying to learn the ropes.

This is NOT a mmorpg that needs to add more things to frustrate a beginner, considering it's inherent difficulty at the start, which I find acceptable because I see it as a simulation more that a mmorpg.  Most sims I've played had a very steep learning curve.

However, it is a game just like any other, and I believe that once customers pay for it, the game should work relatively well enough to allow them to experience it.  So the fence seems like a good place to be right now, limited accounts or not, because you just don't know whether or not you will be among the lucky ones who can log in and play, or the unfortunate ones who spend a long time trying, but rarely get in the game.

If the game was still in a beta or trial mode, then I would be more supportive.  I am very interested in what RV can become, and I am rooting for RedBedLam to really make it a great mmorpg, but I cannot support it with my money just yet.  That would just make me another gamer who shows that incomplete/buggy/pre-maturely released games are acceptable.

Originally posted by Kanoth
    It's always been our plan to start small and grow.  We planned for 5000...the initial 5000 keys.  But all the planning in the world wont let you see every angle a problem can come from.  We got hit where we werent expecting.  Not to worry though.  We'll get this licked in time. 

I really do hope so...

- Scaris

Actually your thinking is backwards, it's communism that tries to be all things to all people, culminating in mediocre results in the long run; much like major games that are developed specifically to satisfy the largest group of people before being innovative; catering to the lowest common denominator.  If you enjoy playing mindless, simple games where an unskilled 13 year old, disabled person or your grandma can compete with you then you will probably be satisfied easily with the largest games developed by the largest corporations.

If you are looking for something innovative, interesting and challenging, check out specialized games developed by smaller companies for specific markets; like Roma Victor.

So, sempiternal, why can't you address your need to treat RB and their game like a charity that needs everyone's blessing?

No, instead you choose to concentrate your reply on my last word about big budget games.

Oh, by the way, A Tale in the Desert is made by a small team as well, 4 or 5 guys tops. Their games (all three to date) have worked as postulated and envisioned from the word go. Like RV, they don't cater to the lowest common denominator either.

In fact, that stupid attitude re: LCD reeks of an elitism that RV doesn't appear to qualify for just yet, going on posts concerning its current state. In a few months time and if RV is still a viable concern, you can come back and do your little elitist victory dance about lowest common denominators then.

Good luck with RV, but I do feel a lot of you guys are paying a price for being overly bright-eyed about a product that isn't quite there yet.

Who cares what you think, not me.  All you seem to be capable of doing is complaining that you feel others are taking pity on the game and are asking others to also.  How insignificant; who cares.  You are delusional anyway, that's not the reason I play and its not the reason I support the game.

Right now, the only MMOG that is worth my time playing is Roma Victor, even with the small development team, limited capital and current lag issues.  I am completely behind the Virtual World concept and RB has the best grasp on it.  They will either succeed or they wont, but until they don't or another option comes along, I will be playing RV.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Do buy Roma Victor:
    1. To take advantage of the 'head start', real estate and any imbalances; the early bird gets the worm.

This got to be the saddest reason to buy a mmorpg or heck any game.But atm this is actually the best reason to buy RV sadly.

I would not even go into the poor state of this game as i have posted before quite a few times on that.

The only thing this game has going is a friendly staff and erm nothing else.Even the accounts is problematic.Some people get charged 3 times(read in account forum to see that its not an uncommon thing to happen) and STILL can't get the game to download.

Who cares what you think, not me. All you seem to be capable of doing is complaining that you feel others are taking pity on the game and are asking others to also. How insignificant; who cares. You are delusional anyway, that's not the reason I play and its not the reason I support the game.
    Right now, the only MMOG that is worth my time playing is Roma Victor, even with the small development team, limited capital and current lag issues. I am completely behind the Virtual World concept and RB has the best grasp on it. They will either succeed or they wont, but until they don't or another option comes along, I will be playing RV.

Who cares what I think? Why ask me then? Hello McFly! Typucal troll; asks for something then whinges like a little bitch when it gets answers it doesn't like.

I'm delusional, geezus...all MMORPG's (and arguably all video games) are virtual worlds. RV is hardly unique is being a "Virtual World".

Anyhow, you've proven beyond all reasonable doubt that you can't present a rational argument without resorting to illogical bollocks, so go back to your "Virtual World" and leave the discussion to the humans.