Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Developer Points Out WoW's Boring Endgame

Comments

• How can this guy be a game developer and not have realzied this 8 months ago?  Anyone with a modicum of forethought should understand what raid-centric design will do.

• dinkdink Member Posts: 438

Maybe he just realized it?  For many, WoW was their first MMO.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    This guy is a f'king tool. He doesn't like the endgame, yet he plays it. He waits for Burning Crusade, will play it until he hits lvl 70 and expects after that he will get bored again but still goes back to raiding.

My suggestion: someone, send this guy a braincell.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by busdriver
    This guy is a f'king tool. He doesn't like the endgame, yet he plays it. He waits for Burning Crusade, will play it until he hits lvl 70 and expects after that he will get bored again but still goes back to raiding.

My suggestion: someone, send this guy a braincell.

Actually a lot of what he said amde sence as for why he is still playing i guess its because he still likes the game.

He just doesant like the endgame.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    The endgame indeed need improvements. a lot.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    This is an MMO, there should be no endgame.

-iCeh

Originally posted by iCeh

Do you not understand the term in this context?  It means highly repeatable content designed to continue to entertain players who have reached max level.

All MMOs should have incredible endgames.  If I were designing an MMO, at least half of my effort would be focused on endgame.

• I think this dude is a prgorammer and not a designer, but either way the consequences of the design should be obvious to some one who takes a day to think about it and has expereince in the industry.  I expect more from a professional.

I know he said he should have realized it earlier and I'm won't throw around some insult, but I think he should have come to this conclusion many months ago.  Especially considering almost exactly the same thing has been said on the forums a bajillion times by non-professionals.

The only thing I can think of is that he purposely tried not to analyze it.  Because the effects of the Blizzard design should be obvious.  Both the itemization and the social implications aren't hard to project for anyone who can do basic math and who has lived through high school social crap.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    The main problem is that WoW is level based and class based thats why it needs an endgame at all. And its why the endgame is the mess it is right now.

• Originally posted by LordSlater
    The main problem is that WoW is level based and class based thats why it needs an endgame at all. And its why the endgame is the mess it is right now.

I would agree with the first statement, but only somewhat agree wtih your second statement.  They could have followed the origiginal idea of mixing stuff up with the endgame and it would be less boring.  Eventually that static class model wtih capped level does become pretty stale but they could probably have spiced it up alot more than they have. 

Its the narrow focus on gear and only allowing that gear through raids that is the major problem.  Alot of people don't like raiding at all and gear can get stale pretty quick.  They probably could have bought themselves another year easy by just not exalting raids above everything else and doing a mixed release with equivlanet gear.  Although probably that would have gotten stale too eventually.  Static, non-interactive worlds like WoW are eventually a dead-end.  Nothing wrong with that. A good 2 years of fun is still something good.  But that is their nature. 

gestalt - The problem with giving out gear in any other form is that raids are a pain in the ass.  You can't have raids and not give them the best loot or people won't do them.  Even most people who go on raids hate them.  . .  you know, after you've beaten them.

Personally, I'm an odd bird.  I love being in the groups that beat raids initially, but I hate farming them.  This means that I'm a glutton for the challenging part and will endure repeating the content over and over through group wipes, but once it is "on farm" - well, I could give a damn.  The end result is that though I've joined uber guilds and been integral in coming up with the initial strats for raids before they got released to the whole internet, I only have one epic. :)

Anyway. . .  WoW has really dug it's endgame hole already.  I'm hoping Gods & Heroes, which is looking absurdly awesome, will do a better job. 

P.S. - I will be buying Burning Crusade in order to play the free month and see the new content that ISN'T part of the endgame uber-guild only raids though.  :)

• Originally posted by dink

gestalt - The problem with giving out gear in any other form is that raids are a pain in the ass.  You can't have raids and not give them the best loot or people won't do them.  Even most people who go on raids hate them.  . .  you know, after you've beaten them.
    Personally, I'm an odd bird.  I love being in the groups that beat raids initially, but I hate farming them.  This means that I'm a glutton for the challenging part and will endure repeating the content over and over through group wipes, but once it is "on farm" - well, I could give a damn.  The end result is that though I've joined uber guilds and been integral in coming up with the initial strats for raids before they got released to the whole internet, I only have one epic. :)
    Anyway. . .  WoW has really dug it's endgame hole already.  I'm hoping Gods & Heroes, which is looking absurdly awesome, will do a better job. 
    P.S. - I will be buying Burning Crusade in order to play the free month and see the new content that ISN'T part of the endgame uber-guild only raids though.  :)

If no one does them then the devs should take the hint and not emphasize them or not implement them at all.  I know some people like them, but doing what they did causes more harm than good if its tru that 75% of people just don't like them.

I personally find raids completely boring at every single stage.  I do not even think they are challenging neither mentally or physically.  I would be perfectly happy if no MMO had ever made them.  I do understand that there is a set of people who seem to be a large minority like raids initially (maybe 40%?) and there is an even smaller minority that likes to raid exclusive to everything else(maybe 5%).   For those sure add a few raids I don't care.  But once you start rewarding the minority above everyone else you will create a social dynamic of have and have nots which always always always leads to bitter confilt.  Especially since raids are certainly not any more challenging than many other things. 

Its simply unwise.  It causes unnecessary and bitter conflcit for no gain what-so-ever.  Clearly a large amount of the populace would be happier if 5 or 10 mans rewarded equivalently and the raiders would not be penalized.  Further even if we took out raids entirely the uber people would still have content to do.  All raiders in WoW also run the smaller instances.  There is no way they would quit if raids were taken out.  That one is a complete canard.

Let me make this very clear, anyone who tries to incentivize or force me into an activity that I do not like on any level just so to make it easier for that very small minority of people who actually do enjoy it is someone I have nothing but contempt for.  Doesn't it make you feel dirty trying to influence people into doing something they admit is unpleasant?  Me; I just quit.  I'm no ones bitch.

• atlaznboiatlaznboi Member Posts: 100
    i see a lot of complaints bout how wow's endgame is nothing but raids and BGs. just curious, are there any games that are not a repetitive endgame like wow?

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by atlaznboi
    i see a lot of complaints bout how wow's endgame is nothing but raids and BGs. just curious, are there any games that are not a repetitive endgame like wow?

There are some, even an oldie like DAoC does it. DAoC is centered around pvp so it can. I originally thought WoW would be the same, boy was I ever wrong.

Cheers.

• atlaznboiatlaznboi Member Posts: 100
    but still though, it somewhat repeats something in the end rite. so why is wow any different. wow just repeats raids and bgs. idk, there aint a game out thats doesnt do this, from what i kno.

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by atlaznboi

There are some, even an oldie like DAoC does it. DAoC is centered around pvp so it can. I originally thought WoW would be the same, boy was I ever wrong.

Cheers.

Actually, DAOC has the exact same endgame as WoW. either PVP, or Raiding.
  • iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by dink

Do you not understand the term in this context?  It means highly repeatable content designed to continue to entertain players who have reached max level.

All MMOs should have incredible endgames.  If I were designing an MMO, at least half of my effort would be focused on endgame.

Yes, and that's exactly why there shouldn't be an endgame. Perhaps it's because EVE was my first MMO, and there's no endgame (that i know of) as you're the one who decides how you want to play, and what you want to do.

That's how MMO's should be, you shouldn't have to repeat the same things over and over, its boring. Apparently WAR will be avoiding this too, which is why i'm following it (although i grind my teeth everytime i think of EA ;D) and it should be an example of how a level based MMO should be.

-iCeh

Originally posted by dink

Yes, and that's exactly why there shouldn't be an endgame. Perhaps it's because EVE was my first MMO, and there's no endgame (that i know of) as you're the one who decides how you want to play, and what you want to do.

That's how MMO's should be, you shouldn't have to repeat the same things over and over, its boring. Apparently WAR will be avoiding this too, which is why i'm following it (although i grind my teeth everytime i think of EA ;D) and it should be an example of how a level based MMO should be.

The only reason why EVE has no endgame is because of the rediculous skill system, nobody ever reached EVE's endgame, and probably never will.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

wow has a decent endgame if pve/raids is your thing. however the pvp at endgame is awful and what kills me about wow as a whole is your whole life in game from lvl 1-59 can be done solo/casual but as soon as you hit lvl 60 the game is transformed into a hardcore raid-centric game, this has never made sense to me and never will.

why on earth don't they make more small group content designed for endgame? why on earth don't they think of some other way to advance your character once you hit max lvl other than item upgrades?

• KyorutoKyoruto Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by baphamet

wow has a decent endgame if pve/raids is your thing. however the pvp at endgame is awful and what kills me about wow as a whole is your whole life in game from lvl 1-59 can be done solo/casual but as soon as you hit lvl 60 the game is transformed into a hardcore raid-centric game, this has never made sense to me and never will.why
    on earth don't they make more small group content designed for endgame? why on earth don't they think of some other way to advance your character once you hit max lvl other than item upgrades?

Its funny. Cause before they did the "Epic gear buff" patch. Raiding was about fun and not about lemme get uber gear to pwn the nubs. It was more skill based then anything. Until that patch I actually enjoyed PvP and some battle grounds. I still think its funny that the epic gear PvP set is far inferior to the raid gear. "Learn to raid!" and I believe "Non-raiders are inferior" is the creed now.

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    ist noch ein Platz f?r dich
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    nach dem was ich geliebt hab
    doch ich find es nicht

• rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 151

The scary thing is Blizzard could fix this with the expansion, but they could either choose to make more kick ass dungeons like Dire Maul or they can go the way of the 40 main raid dungeons again. 

I like the part where he pointed out, you have to marry the game at 60 or quit,  haha that was funny and unfortunately true.

• punchlinepunchline Member Posts: 544

Originally posted by baphamet

wow has a decent endgame if pve/raids is your thing. however the pvp at endgame is awful and what kills me about wow as a whole is your whole life in game from lvl 1-59 can be done solo/casual but as soon as you hit lvl 60 the game is transformed into a hardcore raid-centric game, this has never made sense to me and never will.
    why on earth don't they make more small group content designed for endgame? why on earth don't they think of some other way to advance your character once you hit max lvl other than item upgrades?

when the expansion comes out, and your level 70 zg will probably be able to be 5 manned, while you can call up your 4 closest buddies and not have to worry about what the guilds doing tonight... I think they need more of that...

Originally posted by rmeyer
    The scary thing is Blizzard could fix this with the expansion, but they could either choose to make more kick ass dungeons like Dire Maul or they can go the way of the 40 main raid dungeons again. 

I like the part where he pointed out, you have to marry the game at 60 or quit,  haha that was funny and unfortunately true.

Blizzards got something weird going on with the way they choose their developers.  The lead developer right now is a PvE raider from EQ.  I guess that's why the game is built around PvE raiding and not a more balanced mix of goals. . .

They kind of paint themselves into a corner with this.  You see, if they fixed the game by giving people ways to get epic loot WITHOUT PvE raiding, then raids would be dead. . .  because RAIDING SUCKS.  While there are a number of people that enjoy raiding, they DON'T enjoy DKP systems, repeating content over and over, or dealing with the stupid requirement of grinding for potions, etc. in order to run raids.  They are a pain in the butt, and if people could get cool loot WITHOUT raiding, then they'd basically just be throwing away all of their raid content. . .  because no one would ever play it.

I think Gods & Heroes has the right idea for this.  They are going to give people different ways to get loot through raiding or PvP.  Also, they are planning to make raids scale so that you can do them with 40 players if you like, or if you are in a mid-sized guild, you could do them with 20 or so players who use minions to have the playing strength of 40 players.  Thus both groups can access the content to see the stories of these instances and grind for loot (or not - you should be able to get comparable loot from PvP in G&H).

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by punchline

when the expansion comes out, and your level 70 zg will probably be able to be 5 manned, while you can call up your 4 closest buddies and not have to worry about what the guilds doing tonight... I think they need more of that...

yeah and MC/bwl will be 20 manned, but will that gear be totally obsolete to a lvl 70? there might be small group armor sets and weapons that will be far superior to that gear.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    If WoW proves true to form level 70 greens and Blues will outclass MC and BWL stuff most likely and be equal to stuff from Naxx. With the other epics far beyond those.