Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of coming back...

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
How is this game doing now a days? Im probably gonna start off a fresh new character as a tank, but is their still a decent population in the game. Also is it easy to get groups for xping and pvp still? After frontiers i think i only got into 4 or so groups a week which was what really disappointed me about the game. Also has the pvp just become group vs group fights now or are there still decent sized raids on the keeps and stuff? any info would be great =D

Comments

• usmc7870usmc7870 Member Posts: 5

It seems the new approach to try and bring in new players is to water down the grind so it's really easy to accomplish what used to take months of hard work.  That's great if you're opening a new account or starting a new character, but it cheapens everything you worked for in the beginning.

I had an account that I opened over 4 years ago, and I had played on and off ever since.  I never liked the PvP.  The idea is great - realm vs. realm in total war - but the implementation and gross imbalances on the field basically means the players who have spent a ton of hours gathering artifacts, getting perfect gear, and finishing Master Level 10 are just going to farm the casual gamers on the frontier for Realm Points (thus widening their gap of superiority); the war objectives (keeps and towers) are all but ignored, unless a realm decides they want the Darkness Falls dungeon opened.

I've always come back to the game and enjoyed it for a while, but the mindless grind catches up quickly.  The entire game is grind, grind, grind.  Grind to 50.  Grind for some money to buy 100 Quality gear with overcharged spellcrafting.  Grind out Master Levels and Champion Levels.  Grind through the Epic and Champion quests.  Grind in Atlantis for all the artifacts you'll need just to be competitive.  Finally, you go to the frontier to grind for Realm Points.  This game lacks real character interaction on any level beyond killing each other for points; frankly, I want the RP in MMORPG, and unless you want to play on a dedicated server for it, you're not going to find it in DAoC.

Don't get me wrong, friend.  DAoC is a fun game if hack and slash is your thing.  If you can suffer through the grind and are willing to take your licks on the frontier until you make it to RR5, or more realistically RR7 considering the advancement of the veterans, then you'll probably love it.  I was looking for something beyond game mechanics, though.  I wanted a real sense of immersion in the DAoC world, and I put all my efforts in on a non-RP server because that's where my RL friends were playing when I started; needless to say, I can't be troubled to start again.

My account has been sold, and I shan't return.  Hearing that Mythic sold out to EA makes me feel better about my choice to sell the account, too.  My experience with EA consisted of Ultima Online, which was definitely one of the worst games I've ever played.

• bonespiritbonespirit Member Posts: 37

I can tell you this.

You'll definitely need a ebay/pling account/char to play.

My trial is over. And my expectation is over, either.

• Blaze323232Blaze323232 Member Posts: 196
    i have no idea what ^^ is talking about...i've been playing Daoc for quite some time, and its pretty good..its much better than it was before...u'll want to play on gareth though other servers pop is  pretty wack...i play on ector, the lowest population server but mythic combined it with lamorak so now there are a few more hundred people...its pretty good, i got a lvl 50 champ in hibernia and it took me less than 2 months to get...

• NihilisNihilis Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by usmc7870

It seems the new approach to try and bring in new players is to water down the grind so it's really easy to accomplish what used to take months of hard work.  That's great if you're opening a new account or starting a new character, but it cheapens everything you worked for in the beginning.
    I had an account that I opened over 4 years ago, and I had played on and off ever since.  I never liked the PvP.  The idea is great - realm vs. realm in total war - but the implementation and gross imbalances on the field basically means the players who have spent a ton of hours gathering artifacts, getting perfect gear, and finishing Master Level 10 are just going to farm the casual gamers on the frontier for Realm Points (thus widening their gap of superiority); the war objectives (keeps and towers) are all but ignored, unless a realm decides they want the Darkness Falls dungeon opened.
    I've always come back to the game and enjoyed it for a while, but the mindless grind catches up quickly.  The entire game is grind, grind, grind.  Grind to 50.  Grind for some money to buy 100 Quality gear with overcharged spellcrafting.  Grind out Master Levels and Champion Levels.  Grind through the Epic and Champion quests.  Grind in Atlantis for all the artifacts you'll need just to be competitive.  Finally, you go to the frontier to grind for Realm Points.  This game lacks real character interaction on any level beyond killing each other for points; frankly, I want the RP in MMORPG, and unless you want to play on a dedicated server for it, you're not going to find it in DAoC.
    Don't get me wrong, friend.  DAoC is a fun game if hack and slash is your thing.  If you can suffer through the grind and are willing to take your licks on the frontier until you make it to RR5, or more realistically RR7 considering the advancement of the veterans, then you'll probably love it.  I was looking for something beyond game mechanics, though.  I wanted a real sense of immersion in the DAoC world, and I put all my efforts in on a non-RP server because that's where my RL friends were playing when I started; needless to say, I can't be troubled to start again.
    My account has been sold, and I shan't return.  Hearing that Mythic sold out to EA makes me feel better about my choice to sell the account, too.  My experience with EA consisted of Ultima Online, which was definitely one of the worst games I've ever played.

Don't steer an aspiring player wrong, friend.  You speak from normal servers where you need to farm artifacts to be competitive due to the travesty that was ToA.  Play on classic servers where none of that matters and there are no artifacts to farm.  Gareth (classic server) is the most populated server for a reason, because ToA doesn't exist on that server and you can fully enjoy the wonderfully implemented RvR and battlegrounds.

I suggest you try the free trial, the game is definitely worth at least trying.

"Time.." I chuckled "I hold no secret to time, though it's mystery puzzles me. Deny it's existence and lie to myself not with hopes of a quickened pace."

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Ahh thats good to know there is a classic server. One of the things keeping me from returning has been the thought of grinding artifacts and such. I left before ToA but everything i heard about that expansion was how bad the grind was.
  • LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164
    We just started on Garreth, Hiberia and the grind is nothing like that guy above says.  You just have to put a slight bit of effort into LFG and most people will quickly add you.

We are on the look out for dedicated people who want to make a serious effort at DAOC,  and would consider serious applicants.

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc