Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions guides?

WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

I bought GW:Factions the other day and I'm a bit lost.  I have not played GW before and I'm not 100% sure of what to do.  Yes, I know, run around a kill stuff.  No prob there! I'm just looking for a guide that might help me out.

/pull pin on fire extinghisher

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

Comments

• TheodorykTheodoryk Member Posts: 1,453
    There are no guides for the Factions starting island, as far as I know. But um, what would you like to know? I think it will be alot easier for us to help you if you ask specific questions.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

• carrieann03carrieann03 Member Posts: 1
    Well I'm not a "Guide" but i have no life and I'm always on... if you need help whisper Ayita Takoda;) FOOD!!!!
  • WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

Thanks for the quick responses!

My main questions concern the basics such as where to buy and sell stuff. I have found a least one Merchant and I have sold some of my loot there. Are there vendors that sell cheeper to certain professions? When do I get to choose my secondary skill? The included instruction book was pretty, but not alot of info (or maybe i was to excited to play without reading all the way through).

• eve_auroraeve_aurora Member Posts: 18
    I can tell you everythign you need to know about the island..

Regardless of profession, upon entering the monastery, you will be lvl 2.

You will ahve a quest to talk to a person, whom will have you go find soemone of the same profession as you. once doen, you will find a second person and do what they ask, like the first.

Then map travel to shing jea, and go to linnok courtyard- talk to togo.

Then you will need to take all of the quests he gives you and talk to the people beyond that.

Take their quests as well, and do them all at one time. Don't do one and do the quest given after, if you do all of the ones given first, then do the ones the people give you when you are done, it will save 1 or 2 hours worth of work.  Talk to togo again- but be careful. you will accept 7 rewards, but the 8th will choose your secondary. monk is a good starting secondary, and mesmer is good for monk. get another reward, and  do the quest he gives you, and you willcome upon a mission.

Find a group, advertise your profession. After you do the mission, you will be taken to ran misu gardens.

Take any quests there. Do 'warningthe tengu' and then the quest that comes after.

Then go to seitung harbor. do some quests around there, looking for trouble is the one you need though.

Then the one after. And then to zen daijun. 2nd mission. once done, you will be taken back to harbor ad you will need to talk to the guy on the bridge, he will take you off the island.

My main questions concern the basics such as where to buy and sell stuff. I have found a least one Merchant and I have sold some of my loot there. Are there vendors that sell cheeper to certain professions?

No, merchant's prices are the same for everyone. Two things you should always have in supply are an Identification Kit and a Salvage Kit which you can obtain from any merchant. You will sometimes get loot which is marked as "unidentified". If you use an identification kit on these, you will unlock the bonuses to stats for these weapons. Some will not have a bonus to stats, but will be marked as "precious" after identification. These generally sell to merchants for a nice sum of money. Yet others will be marked as "highly salvagable" after identification. If you use the salvage kit on these, you will break them down into crafting materials.

Crafting materials are used by armorers to build armor for you. You can buy most of these materials from materials traders, but you can also salvage materials from your loot. If you go to an armorer, you will see the list of armor he can craft for you, how much it will cost, and what materials are needed.

What else....dye traders sell dyes which you can use to color your armor. Weapons merchants can build weapons for you, as well as customise your current weapon, which will increase its damage. There's alot more, there are merchants that sell skills, runes, etc. Its not all that complicated really, just takes a little time to get used to.

When do I get to choose my secondary skill?

It comes in quest form. Follow the quest line for your primary proffession, and eventually you will be sent to an NPC who will send you along to learn a secondary proffession. The main rule of thumb in the beginning is complete all your quests. They'll teach you alot about the game, and get you started with a nice pool of free skills.

By the way....if you have the Prophecies campaign, I would recommend playing your first character there instead of Factions. Prophecies is much more rookie friendly, it holds your hand and slowly reveals the game to you in a way that Factions doesn't.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

Originally posted by eve_aurora

I can tell you everythign you need to know about the island..
    Regardless of profession, upon entering the monastery, you will be lvl 2.

You will ahve a quest to talk to a person, whom will have you go find soemone of the same profession as you. once doen, you will find a second person and do what they ask, like the first.
    Then map travel to shing jea, and go to linnok courtyard- talk to togo.

Then you will need to take all of the quests he gives you and talk to the people beyond that.
    Take their quests as well, and do them all at one time. Don't do one and do the quest given after, if you do all of the ones given first, then do the ones the people give you when you are done, it will save 1 or 2 hours worth of work.  Talk to togo again- but be careful. you will accept 7 rewards, but the 8th will choose your secondary. monk is a good starting secondary, and mesmer is good for monk. get another reward, and  do the quest he gives you, and you willcome upon a mission.
    Find a group, advertise your profession. After you do the mission, you will be taken to ran misu gardens.
    Take any quests there. Do 'warningthe tengu' and then the quest that comes after.
    Then go to seitung harbor. do some quests around there, looking for trouble is the one you need though.
    Then the one after. And then to zen daijun. 2nd mission. once done, you will be taken back to harbor ad you will need to talk to the guy on the bridge, he will take you off the island.

I have printed your post and thank you very much for your help.

Originally posted by Theodoryk

My main questions concern the basics such as where to buy and sell stuff. I have found a least one Merchant and I have sold some of my loot there. Are there vendors that sell cheeper to certain professions?

No, merchant's prices are the same for everyone. Two things you should always have in supply are an Identification Kit and a Salvage Kit which you can obtain from any merchant. You will sometimes get loot which is marked as "unidentified". If you use an identification kit on these, you will unlock the bonuses to stats for these weapons. Some will not have a bonus to stats, but will be marked as "precious" after identification. These generally sell to merchants for a nice sum of money. Yet others will be marked as "highly salvagable" after identification. If you use the salvage kit on these, you will break them down into crafting materials.

Crafting materials are used by armorers to build armor for you. You can buy most of these materials from materials traders, but you can also salvage materials from your loot. If you go to an armorer, you will see the list of armor he can craft for you, how much it will cost, and what materials are needed.

What else....dye traders sell dyes which you can use to color your armor. Weapons merchants can build weapons for you, as well as customise your current weapon, which will increase its damage. There's alot more, there are merchants that sell skills, runes, etc. Its not all that complicated really, just takes a little time to get used to.

When do I get to choose my secondary skill?

It comes in quest form. Follow the quest line for your primary proffession, and eventually you will be sent to an NPC who will send you along to learn a secondary proffession. The main rule of thumb in the beginning is complete all your quests. They'll teach you alot about the game, and get you started with a nice pool of free skills.

By the way....if you have the Prophecies campaign, I would recommend playing your first character there instead of Factions. Prophecies is much more rookie friendly, it holds your hand and slowly reveals the game to you in a way that Factions doesn't.

Thank you also, that clears up alot of my questions. Unfortunately, I bought Factions thinking it was both games. I should be able to muddle through with your help.

My pleasure. Keep this thread bumped with further questions you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them as best I can when I'm on. 

-baff

• AgitAgit Member Posts: 25
    try:  www.guildwiki.org

there is so much well laid out info there it's sick =)