Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tradeskill changes?

EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Okay I heard that there was a change to the tradeskills. Exactly what was changed?

Do you still need to go out and harvest materials, then use those to make different items that will be combined to make one piece of armor or a weapon?

Is it still really time consuming and a frustrating, especially if you don't even want to be bothered by it but have to in order to get items for yourself due to the broker being worthless a lot of times?

Comments

• DeathMutant3DeathMutant3 Member Posts: 67

The biggest change was the removal of sub-combines. I stopped working on my Sage after realizing that making reagents, dyes, inks, quills and paper were not very exciting, I wanted to scribe scrolls! And now, with the removal of sub-combine, that's exactly what I do.     Final items do require slightly more raw resources but with the harvesting changes (chance of more resources per pull plus harvesting tools that reduce pull-time) it is much less tedius, imo.

Whether crafted items, especially at higher levels, are worth it or not is a different story . . .

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Recipe Changes:

All of the tradeskill recipes in the game are moving to a "no sub-combine" system. In order to improve the availability and reduce the tedium of the tradeskill system, we are removing refine and interim recipes from the game. Instead you will be able to craft final combines with just raw components.

No longer will it take hours to craft a set of armor for someone; it will only take a few minutes. This will provide a market in which the crafter can provide their services to the community more efficiently.

In addition, many new recipes are now available in the world: from new armor types that support different classes more efficiently to harvesting tools that speed up the time it takes to harvest (speak with your local woodworker if you'd like the tools).

Item Changes:

Any crafted item will now either be flagged as "Hand Crafted" or "Master Crafted" depending on the rarity of items used when making the item (the latter of which implies rarer items). This will allow players to more easily distinguish what crafters can make.

In order to give crafters a better defined space in the loot progression of the game, any equipable item that is crafted will have somewhat different stat improvements or effects than before. Don't worry, though--existing crafted items won't be affected by this change at all.

Player crafted potions and poisons will now follow a uniform pattern in naming and effects, which should make their functionality easier to identify quickly. Additionally, Level 50-60 rare carpentry recipes have been added to the game. You might be seeing some of your favorite requested furniture pieces that are no longer sold on merchants.

Harvesting Changes:

It's now possible to get more than one item from a single harvest. With an increase in the amount of raw components that are needed in tradeskill recipes, we don't want to merely switch the tedium of crafting from sub-combines into harvesting.

To solve this issue we are going to add the chance of gaining multiple items each time you harvest. The chance for multiple items is related to your harvesting skill versus the difficulty of the harvest node--the higher your skill, the more likely you will be to get multiple items.

A higher harvesting skill will also increase the likelihood that you will obtain a rare item, as well as make it so you will not fail at harvesting items that are trivial for you to harvest.

Tradeskill Societies and Writ Changes:

The notion of tradeskill societies has been removed from the game. Players can now enter any of the tradeskill instances at any time. In addition, all the tradeskill society status that you have ever earned from any society (not just your current one) has been converted into personal status points. Note, however, that this will not add status to your guild.

With these changes, plus all of the changes to recipes and items, we will be temporarily removing the "Tradeskill Writ" NPCs from the game. The good news is that we are working on an exciting new writ system in which you can directly sell your crafted items to a vendor for status for yourself and guild.

• VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458

They made crafting dumb.  It's because all the people who were crafting actually could charge a good amount because of the hardwork that crafing was all about.

Since all the cry babies  were the loudest and they all said "Crafting's too hard... boowho", SOE made it so any reject could craft, therefor flooding the market and making the price for everything drop since it no longer took TIME, but now just "I'll buy 20 of these from a market place... craft a sword, DING, I'm done".

It's complete crap.  And now idiot proof.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Originally posted by VixenHeart

They made crafting dumb.  It's because all the people who were crafting actually could charge a good amount because of the hardwork that crafing was all about.
    Since all the cry babies  were the loudest and they all said "Crafting's too hard... boowho", SOE made it so any reject could craft, therefor flooding the market and making the price for everything drop since it no longer took TIME, but now just "I'll buy 20 of these from a market place... craft a sword, DING, I'm done".

I wouldn't say they made it dumb, they just made it less tedious. It still requires you to react to the specials that show up. At first I also thought they were dumbing it down but after starting to play again I realize this way is much better.

Me personally I never felt crafting was hard but that it was just long and monotonius and got boring quickly.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by seabass2003

I wouldn't say they made it dumb, they just made it less tedious. It still requires you to react to the specials that show up. At first I also thought they were dumbing it down but after starting to play again I realize this way is much better.
    Me personally I never felt crafting was hard but that it was just long and monotonius and got boring quickly.

You press the buttons when they light up... Oh no!  So hard.  They made it so it's easy and the "hardcore" people who don't want to actually WORK at crafting could craft and stop crying.

Therefor, it's dumbed down a lot.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

The changes sound good.

Like said it doesn't seem dumbed down from what I"m reading. Before it was just boring. It was a pain because if you didn't want to craft but wanted to actually adventure (you are paying to play after all and you want to have fun), you had to rely on the broker to buy items. People, on the several servers I played on tended to charge way more then something was really worth at certain levels. Way out of the means of what a player had unless they passed gold from a high level player or killed and sold the piss poor loot given in Antonica and by the time you had enough the item was below your level.

Speeding up crafting makes a lot of sense. See I found crafting as it was before to be one of the major flaws with Everquest 2 and part of the reason why the game never took off anywhere near the degree that World of Warcraft did. All mmorpgs have time sinks to one degree or another. EQ2 crafting slowed things down a LOT and it didn't need to be that way at all. Having a player community is great but only when it is beneficial for players to take part in it. People pay to play this game to have fun. For some crafting is fun but for a lot of other people they want to hunt, explore, etc. That's hard to do effectively I feel when you are worrying about armor or weapons due to people not crafting items for your level because crafting takes to long, there is no strong return due to them charging so much based on the time they put into it.

It's a weird domino effect I feelt that stems out form tradeskills when a game relies upon it for weapons, armor, spells, etc.

• ginfress01ginfress01 Member Posts: 203
    EQ2 the game for the mental handicapped people of our world!
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356
    Basically, they dumbed it down so any refugee WOW teenie bopper could grind out a whole bunch of crap that now cannot be sold on the player market, but must be sold back to the broker. The whole purpose of crafting was to be an alternative play style to adventuring. This theory has been abandoned because adventurers loot better items than crafters can make. What crafters do make they must sell back to the broker, so why craft normal items? Granted, crafted rare items are saleable because the production knowledge is limited, but rares are now more common, so everyone can sell rares for more than a rare item. Thus, limited rare item manufacturing knowledge leaves a crafter wondering why they bothered to level up, and the crafting style of play is now a circle going nowhere. This game used to allow for diverstity of play, I could come home from work and, depending on my mood, have a reason to adventure, craft, sell, explore, do a writs, or just plain bum around Freeport. Used to be fun/challenging getting into places when everything around you ran the gammit of yellow to red, and aggroed. That I called exploration. Now it's dumbed down to remove the challenge so everyone has a 95% chance to win all the time. Take the Sprawl for instance, it used to be the Giantslayers aggroed, making it a challenge to move through the zone. Now they stand there and watch you pick out the one you want to kill, if you decide to end your boredom and kill one. To me, challenge equals fun, remove the challenge and I no longer have fun. I don't think I'm alone there, the games that have various levels of challenge sell well, Sid Meiers Civilization series, and the Empires series, for example, do well with mature gamers, and have their dumbed down levels for the bops. Now EQ 2 is just a rush to level your adventurer, then wait to buy the next expansion. Nobody is interested in stopping and smelling the roses in the game, so the roses are being gradually removed to appeal to the power levelers and bops. Rather than relax and enjoy, it's adopted the philosophy that the first one to complete their life wins. Racing to complete life is not my play style...sorry.
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by seabass2003

Couldnt agree more seabass.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

And you didn't see this coming? I guess you didn't play EQ1 or SWG, and read up about how SOE constantly changes fundamental aspects of their games be it EQ1, EQ2, SWG. Dummying things down is part of their tradition.  Baiting and switching aspects of their games after veterans have invested time and money building their characters is a hallmark of SOE game design. You're in their world now. Enjoy

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh