Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this gme looks old

the bame looks like a game from the 90's.

Comments

• devilman525devilman525 Member Posts: 8
    i mean't the game looks like it's from the 90's
  • liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145

I think the game has better graphics than the origanal Everquest.

They seem to update some of the models with every patch.

• noob12345666noob12345666 Member Posts: 1
    YEs it looks old. But when you play the game you realize that it's far better than most MMO's out there, and it's great community helps as well : )

• devilman525devilman525 Member Posts: 8
    ya ur right it is but not the best
  • CeridanCeridan Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Just upgraded to premium :)
  • DeadElvisDeadElvis Member Posts: 2
    I just upgraded to premium as well.  The community is small but the forums are a pleasure to read.  Lots of info.
  • DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541
    Does the premium usage involve a monthly fee or a one time cost of $29.99?

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145
    No monthly fee at all, just the one time cost of $29.99 to purchase the game.
  • FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Originally posted by noob12345666

YEs it looks old. But when you play the game you realize that it's far better than most MMO's out there, and it's great community helps as well : )
    It's probably better than some others out there (none that i've played, which includes DDO, LOTRO, WoW, EQ, EQ2, GW, AC).

1) The graphics, sound, and (especially) animations are HORRIBLY amateurish. I tried a ranger, and there is no ranged attack icon. He just stands there, motionless, and the message appears in the chat window telling if he hit or missed.  Also, despite the arrows having an (alleged) range of 12 meters, I was always out of range until I moved close enough where the mob aggro'd on me. Granted, I'm assuming the range is expressed in meters since it only said '12'. Maybe it's 12 inches. I sure seemed to be well within 12 virtual meters but was unable to shoot.

2) Animations, in general, are awful. When I start moving my toon's legs don't start pumping until about 3 seconds later. Other players and mobs look like they're having seizures when the move.

3) Other than a few grunts and groans and an occasional 'thud' sound (which was the same no matter what I was fighting), I heard no combat sounds at all. My toon was swinging a sword at a skeleton, and I had no idea if I hit or not unless I looked in the chat window. No graphic feedback, no sound feedback, no immersion.

4) First quest in the game (climb tower and free someone or other) was impossible. I was getting owned by a single Formidable skeleton. All I could do was auto-attack or kick, which sometimes didn't work. I was losing by a huge margin, more than just what could be explained by "bad dice rolls". I'm guessing this game is not solo-able, at least for quests.

5) Mobs don't appear to have leashes. A couple spiders in the wilderness followed me at least a virtual mile back to the tower where guards dispatched them.

6) The game feels disorganized; helter-skelter, if you will. No logic to where things are, including NPC's. Not quite as bad as Vanguard, but close.

And as for the community - it was a mixed bag. No better than some, no worse. A couple other people like me were new at the game, and several other players were very rude and snide. Some were very helpful. In a game that has no monthly fee I would expect a lot of kiddies. woW probably has the least mature community overall (of the games I've played), but MoM's was no more mature, at least in the few hours I was playing.
  • carcecarce Member Posts: 2

Well what it seems like is you tried playing for about 10 minutes. because if you stayed longer you would have found the range attack button. Also the first quest you decided to do is about a level 15 quest. You should have started out smaller.  you compare this game to all the other games which have a huge budget which is not fair. 

• method321method321 Member Posts: 6

I am pretty new to MoM but recently upgraded to premium.  I've been on-line gaming since the days of dikumuds on vax clusters, so the lack of fancy graphics doesn't mean much to me.  Heck, tetris is a lame looking game, but i still enjoy playing it.   To me, its the communiry and fun factor that matter most.

In my opinion, the best times i had playing online were way back in the EQ1 days, and this game sorta feels like that old flavor which is what draws me to it.  zone wide aggro, no pretty "!" or "?" above npc's to tell you they have a quest.   Sure some would say, "well just go play EQ again", but i been there and done that with several characters, i know the world or norrath pretty well, and not many new things to see for me there" 

I have been eye-balling MoM for a while now, and although it does seem to be lacking in it's UI (compared to what you can do with EQ2 / WoW interfaces) it has that old school feel.

As for the community, it tends to feel like that older community as well, where your character actually had a reputation that meant something to you, as well as to others you play with.

Over all i would say the game is about a 5 outta 10, but with cool devs, a single player option, and no monthly fee, that seems to bump it up a few notches to above average and it has proved itself as having some staying power with a player base that appreciates it.