Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just don't get it

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
It's been awhile since I played so I picked up the free trial last night.

The environmental graphics are still very good but the character graphics haven't improved at all (and were never all that appealing to me to begin with)...  The gameplay is 'ok' I guess but the interface is very ugly...

Are there custom UI's for Ryzom yet?  Last I had heard you couldn't use custom UI's at all.  You can move stuff around in the current one but that doesn't make it look any better. 

Still not sure it's worth bothering with but I want to give it a fair shake again... but it's hard to get into because of the clunky UI and the ugly character models... I just have a hard time getting immersed in the game when I can't relate to my character at all.  Matis is the only race I even remotely can tolerate and even they look a little too alien for me.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• KibsKibs Member Posts: 411
    I love the character models and UI, but thats me.  It is very customisable through the system controls, but maybe not as much as some games.

The UI improved recently and it is very much easier to use.

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528
    If you don't like French comic-book art you're not going to like it.  Personally I find it a refreshing change from all the anime inspired stuff.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Well I happen to like the character models, but then I don't insist on always playing a human in every game. If you want to play a human, well... there aren't any true humans on Atys, sorry.

As to the UI... which element are you talking about? The color of it is changeable... You can move things around. You can re-size the windows. So which part don't you like and have you tried customizing it?

One thing you can't do is make the hotbuttons bigger, which I wish you could... but after a while I just got used to them so it's not a big deal for me anymore (that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a big deal for you of course).

Which element(s) of the UI do you dislike?

C

• PietoroPietoro Member Posts: 162
    What I did to combat the UI (which is cluttery imo) is make most of it semi-transparent, with the important stuff set to 'fade in' when I mouseover. Makes it MUCH less distracting.
  • frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

Oh it's the graphics I fell in love with first. The alien feeling in the clothing, the vaguely familiar races.

If you learn where on your keyboard the shortcuts are you can play it without almost no GUI. I usually trek without GUI, just for the immersion.

• TigerchaTigercha Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by frkhot97

Oh it's the graphics I fell in love with first. The alien feeling in the clothing, the vaguely familiar races.
    If you learn where on your keyboard the shortcuts are you can play it without almost no GUI. I usually trek without GUI, just for the immersion.

now for Immersion, stick on a really good set of head phones, spark up a spliff and play on one of these

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~93282~/PIONEER%20PDP43MXE1S%20SILVER%2043%20%201024%20X%20768%20RES%201100:1%20CONTRAST%201100%20CD%2FM2%201YR%20ON-SITE%20WARRANTY.htm

the screen is over a meter wide and is about 2 meter's away from me, its quite scary sometimes, the graphics are very nice too say the least. 

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    Ended up uninstalling.  Just not into this title I guess... have tried it twice now... first time I actually subscribed for a couple months... this time didn't even get done with the trial... Dunno... just something about SoR I can't get into.... ya'll enjoy it though... it is a decent enough game.... just not my style.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Originally posted by Elnator
    Ended up uninstalling.  Just not into this title I guess... have tried it twice now... first time I actually subscribed for a couple months... this time didn't even get done with the trial... Dunno... just something about SoR I can't get into.... ya'll enjoy it though... it is a decent enough game.... just not my style.

Why thank you, for being so honest and admitting that it´s "just not your style".
    Instead of bashing the game for what it is and can´t give you personally.
    I realy and honestly thank you.

Have fun, whatever you´ll be playing instead.

CU
    MaDSaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?