Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowbane for the Non-Voice Player

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Hello.

Would you recommend this game to someone who uses text chat only?

Are there major portions of the game that are inaccessable to someone who uses text chat only?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921

Nope; the only problem is there's sometimes TOO much text chat going on.

Not to worry; the chat windows can be adjusted so that only certain channels are visible. I would suggest removing the PvP channel at least,and maybe the Global chat if you're in a group as it can get busy.

As for the combat detais....I'm sure you can do the same thing in that window so only certain combat text messages appear.

Join Mourning server if you take the plunge; it's currently most active.

• christianc87christianc87 Member Posts: 33
    Mourning FTW

Oi?

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by Beatnik59

Hello.
    Would you recommend this game to someone who uses text chat only?
    Are there major portions of the game that are inaccessable to someone who uses text chat only?

Honestly, no I wouldn't.  the majority of guilds require voice communication, because to be honest its not even an advantage to have, but the norm.  The only people I would take who are unwilling to use ventrillo are those who are hearing impaired. 

Why? for one, called targets-  the game requires people to act as groups to be successful, and it can't be done any faster than over voice comm.  Since everyone uses it, its no longer about advantage, but just staying competive.

second, there is no better way to really become friends with the people you game with.  I knew more about some people that I considered friends for years in one day than I thought possible using ventrillo.

downside of voice comm- it hurts roleplay.  From expirience, you'd don't RP as often in game when you can just say something in vent.  Not as much a factor for established RP guilds, it can be almost a game killer for starter RP guilds.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Thanks for the honesty Jerek_.  I'm thinking that some games just gravitate toward it more than others, which is why I'm trying to get a feel as to where the best game for someone not on Teamspeak or Vent may be.

But I'm wondering about the comment about not allowing anyone into your guild who doesn't use it, yet allowing those who are hearing impaired in there.  That's pretty strange of you to say, given how from your description how essential it is to hear voice commands in Shadowbane.

I mean, if its that essential to your guild's enjoyment that everyone use it, and a player who is hearing impaired cannot, then why would you undermine your own gameplay, and make the hearing impaired player feel like a burden?  I would think that the person who is hearing impaired would rather go to a game where it makes little difference, rather than a game that has to make special dispensations just to make the person feel included.

That's why I am asking around to get a feel about which games are more friendly to Text-Only, and I am finding the games vary considerably.  That doesn't mean that games where TS and Vent are player generated requirements are bad games, but that they may not be the best game for someone not using the technology.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

for one, I wouldn't exclude anyone from a guild based on something they physically can't do.  Second, while it is important, there are limited ways around needing it, such as adjusting what role you play in your group.  More that that though, one person not in vent is not going to kill you.  If everyone else is, all that person has to do is know their job and take ques from what the rest of the group is doing.  The reason its a requirement instead of a suggestion is that while one guy won't break you, half your group not being in would.

As for people finding another game to play if they are in that situation-  well I'm sure as hell not going to make that call for them   if they are playing, I assume its what they want to do, and if they are in my guild I'll do what I can to make it work.