Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help understanding Mining Secure Containers

LummoxLummox Member Posts: 32

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  For equipment found under Deployable Equipment / Cargo Containers / Small Secure Containers.

What exactly do they do?

From what I gather you can mine all day while jettisoning these containers.  The description says password protected.  Does that mean they can’t be opening at all or are there lock picking type equipment? Can they be destroyed? Can they be re-used?

Also it seems they need some assembly. Do I have to assemble them before I undock or can I do that in space?

Comments

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    I use secured containers to group stuff in the station, but for mining purposes they are useless. When you mine and your cargo is full, just dump your cargo overboard, it will be in a regular container, then when u mine a new load of cargo, u just put it in that container where your previous cargo is. That way you dont have to keep running back and forth between the station nor do u need a hauling partner. You have roughly 1.5-2 hours before container dumped into space disappears, so its a good idea to start hauling cargo from that container after 1 hour (depending on your hauler and how much it can fit per 1 trip).

I had badger 2 so after mining for an hour it took me 5-6 trips with badger to get all that ore.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Lummox

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  For equipment found under Deployable Equipment / Cargo Containers / Small Secure Containers.

What exactly do they do?

From what I gather you can mine all day while jettisoning these containers.  The description says password protected.  Does that mean they can’t be opening at all or are there lock picking type equipment? Can they be destroyed? Can they be re-used?

Also it seems they need some assembly. Do I have to assemble them before I undock or can I do that in space?

Actually you need to take the comtainer load it into your industrial ship and go to area where you are going to mine. You can jettison it there, then right click on it and there will be an option to anchor it. I do believe you need anchoring skill of 1 or 2 to do that. Anyways after that you can right click on it and setup a password once you have done that, you can use it as your private lock box that will be there forever. You can dump your ore in there if anyone will try to open it they will have to enter a password.

Containers can be destoyed however if player is not at war with you it is identical to attack on player. So Concord will go there and blast them. If it is in .4 space and you will destoy someones container you will take a security hit. If it is in 0.0 nothing will happen, however containers are fairly tuff.

Hope this helps.
  • SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383
    Use the giant secure containers for mining, not jettison canisters as another poster suggested, those are only good if you want someone to steal your ore so that you can fight them.

Very important to anchor them or someone can steal the whole container, and in that case they won't even get flagged for you to attack them. Even with a password a stolen secure container can be repackaged to get what's inside and clear the password. Anchoring skill is under the Corporation Management category.

Also don't jettison the secure container (not sure if you can actually) rather right-click on it and 'launch for self', unless of course, you're in a player corp and want to launch for the corp. That matters more for standard containers as even if launched for the corp they still need the pasword.

Passwords only need to be entered once per day so don't worry that it doesn't prompt you every time you access the can.