Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few starting questions...

raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

I just ordered the Epic Edition; never played this game before.

Since I have all the expansions, I want to play on a normal server (not a classic one).

1. Is there a way to know the location of a server cluster (i.e. East Coast, West Coast) or does it not matter?

2. Is there any way to know which of the three realms is underpopualted on a given cluster?  I ask because I prefer to join an underpopulated realm rather than makes things worse.

3. This last question is a tough one.  I am currently reading up on the 40+ classes but I was hoping someone could tell me the top 3-4 classes in each realm.  I am looking to play a class that would be useful in RvR combat and I have no preference for any archetype.

Thanks!

Comments

• BrennialBrennial Member Posts: 9

1.  Imho, it doesn't matter what the location of a server cluster is.  Just choose one that sounds good to you.  Might try a week per server cause it's really all about the people one meets.  Igraine seemed like a good server when I played there long ago.

2.  Go to www.camelotherald.com .  Clusters and population numbers are listed there on the right side of the website.  On the left hand side, many useful information links that Mythic maintains about DAoC.

3.  As to underpopulation, if one chooses anything but Albion, they are safe in knowing they have chosen an underpopulated realm.

4.  As to your last question, classes useful in rvr.  Can't help ya there since I play Gaharis, pve server.  But from what I recall when I used to play on an rvr server, every class has their weakness and strength.  With that being said, each class is pretty much dependent upon each other for survival in rvr as well as knowing the New Frontiers so be sure you get to know yours and their land and how to play your class. 

• EchaniEchani Member Posts: 72
    1. DAoC has been around so long that I really don't think there is any more distinction as to play times.  As was stated in a recent grab bag on the herald (www.camelotherald.com) there is a bit of a bell curve to the server population. The upswing starts at about 5pm EST and peaks a little after 1am EST then trails off till about 1am PST.  Furthermore the original boundaries for DAoC (which were never official) have been blurred by the server clustering that lumped the populations of multiple servers in the same fronteirs.

2.  In general there is a small star next to the servers that are underpopulated on a given realm. As of last report this star was permanantly affixed to Midgard on every server with a few Hibernias popping up every now and again.  I admit I may be biased as my main play time is in midgard, but it is true that Midgard has historically been the least populated realm on most servers.

3.  It's hard to describe which classes are the strongest but I'll tell you the classes I see the most.

Albion -
    Minstrel: Definatly an all around class, can charm pets higher than level (110% I believe), stealths, has a speed
                song.
    Scout: Albions Archer, they also get the ability to use shields making them be able to dish it and take it. Stealths
    Infiltrator: Alot of stealth zergs going on in NF nowadays, infs get some action but not as bad as Nightshades
                  (HIB)
    Necros: Great for PvE, not so great in RvR.

Hibernia:
    Bainshee:  Current Line of Sight issues make these that one class everyone hates and great if all you want to do
                   is win at all costs.
    Nightshade:  Stealther, pretty strong RvR class, like I said alot of stealth zerging recently.
    Enchanters:  Very strong casters.
    Vampiir/Animist:  Good PvE not as strong in RvR but I have seen a few out there.  After they fixed an issue with
                            Animist pets killing stuff that is not in line of sight to the original caster they have dropped off a
                            bit. Vamps do good at lower levels in RvR bot they trail off quickly.

Midgard:
    Warlock:  With insta casts and alot of interesting spell mechanics they are fun to play, but they are a bit
                  different than many other casters in the game.
    Runemaster:  Used to be main caster for Mid, still pretty strong, has run speed.
    Thane:  Hybrid Tank and Caster, jack of both, master of neither, but their versatility makes them fun to play.
    Hunter:  Good at lower levels, but if you want to play an archer go somewhere else, lower Damage per second
                makes them a bit of a joke in big boy RvR.  Melee Hunters do ok, but as an archer forget it.
    Bonedancer: Good all around but very succeptible to Mesmerization spells as your pets are your life.
    Healer:  Only class in the game that has no offensive ability available except swinging their hammer unstyled, 
               also only class in game with Area of Effect stun.  Fun, but not for an action hound.

Hope any of this helps. DAoC rocks and I hope you enjoy it.

Does your guild have a website yet? Find out how easy it is to get one.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Playing any assassin class at level 50 will provide you with nothing but misery.  I have no idea why anyone would think that these are worth playing.  Do not get me wrong, I love my nightshade, but playing them in the frontier is not rewarding.

Here are the problems with assassin classes:

1.  No role in keep warfare.  Climbing points are often difficult to find.  NPC assassin guards can find you in stealth.
    2.  Little chance to assassinate at keeps.  There is an ability called Mastery of Stealth.  The ONLY usefulness for an assassin is to move quicker in stealth (invisability).  However, it grants archer classes the ability to now see assassins.  This means that archer classes can now see assassins and shoot them way before the assassin can get to the archer.  Further, this means that archers can effectively protect most people in the area. 

So, in the frontier, as an assassin you have two choices:

1.  Hunt in packs and camp certain spots waiting a long time for a solo/small group to come by.
    2.  Fight other realms assassins.

#2 is what you will end up doing most of the time.  It is an entire game to itself.  You have no role in keep warefare.  You have no role in groups.  So in short, if you plan on playing at level 50, until they get MOS removed, do not waste your time on an assassin.  If you want to stay in the battlegrounds, then assassins are about the funest class you can play.

As for "usefulness" in RvR, there are basically 3 roles:

1.  Those who kill
    2.  Those who keep your group alive.
    3.  Those who mez large groups of people so that they can be killed.

If you want to kill, then you will want to be a caster.  Different casters have different roles, but they are the ones that do the damage. 

2.  If you want to keep people alive, then play a healing class.

3.  If you want to make the enemy prone to kill, then play a mezzer.

Tanks are good at running siege and in some open field battles, but they have more usefulness in PvE than RvR.

Archers are great if you want to solo/duo.  You can kill many enemies at keeps.  If you can get into a group of other archers, then you can all target the same person and kill him in 1 second.

If you can specify your realm, role, and playstyle, we can probably narrow down the classes a lot more. 

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

Thanks for the answers!

My box set just arrived and I am anxious to explore the game.  This will likely be my main game until WAR, AoC, or Darkfall are released.  Thanks again.